Review: Token Tiramic bottom bracket

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

After a show where I met some people of Token I received a box fool of goodies from them. In that box where not only the T33SL wheels which I will review later, but also one of their Tiramic bottom brackets.

What is Tiramic? I hear you ask. Tiramic is a surface treatment that Token uses to coat the races of the bearings they use. They coat the races of the bearings with titanium. According to their marketing blurb this treatment makes the races harder then normal steel. Normal steel races combined with ceramic balls will wear faster then titanium coated races combined with ceramic balls.

Now that we got that out of the way we can talk about the BB some more. it comes neatly packed with a few spacers and a shim for use with shimano or the Sram/Truvativ GXP system. Since I use a Sram crank I installed the shim in the left cup. since the shim is equipped with an o- ring it stays securely in place.

Installing the BB went easy. screwing something in place isn't that hard. Shimming something out is on the other hand. It took me a few installs and pulling things apart again to make it work properly. In the end I also took out the plastic bearing covers as I felt that they slowed things down as well.

In use things started to creak after a 500 km. The crank was removed and the bb was taken out. The shims needed some grease on them to kill all the sounds. The cranks spin smoothly and the bracket doesn't make its self know. If you ask me that is a good thing for a BB!

Enough! We want pictures!
Not much, it is a BB for x sake!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Impressive stuff, Frankie. 8)

If you don't mind, the treatment of the bearing races is actually a titanium nitride coating similar to what you see on the gold coloured KMC SL chains.
Personally I use some of their tiramic ceramic hybrid bearings in a square tapered Ti BB (6903 size should someone ask) which I run on oil much like Campa's CULT bearings. They work great, no probs whatsoever.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DartanianX

by DartanianX

Hey,

Had one of the BB30 Tiramic set ups! Very nice indeed! Would highly recommend one for your next BB!

Ozrider

by Ozrider

I have used a Token Tiramic BB on my training bikevfor 3 years now. It has been ridden in rain and on pretty rough roads with no issues to date, bike has had a major service once a year.

IMO a pretty good upgrade, comes in a range of colours, is pretty much fit and forget, spins smoothly and doesn't require much maintenance. I'm a 95kg rider so it has been used hard with no issues, so definitely something that I can recommend.:thumbup:
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

So, you all think their bearings are great? What life are you getting from them?

Sent from my HTC.
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Small update.

i think I got a monday morning model of this BB after 20k into todays ride it kind off exploded on me.

This does not say that all of their BB's are bad. just mine failed a bit.

devinci

by devinci

:shock:

quattrings

by quattrings

A full review wouldn't be complete without knowing if a company really stands behind it's products. So it's really nice that you were willing to wreck those bearings in a weeks time :lol:

Hope you can get a replacement set and have better luck in the future. Keep us informed

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

OUCH.... :shock:

As of today will call you "Powerful Frankie". :mrgreen:

How did this happen? Never seen anything like it. :(

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Even though i effed up Token stands behind their product and send me a new drive side bb.

The nut head that I am I neglected to look up the installation manual on the web and installed it as I saw it fit. Turns out I put an o ring in a wrong position. leaving a cap for the crank to have some play. that is what destroyed the BB.

Here is a pic of what should have been done:

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Small update on the BB: A few hundred KM later the BB is still working fine and spinning smoothly. It functions just like it should do and doesn't leave me in thoughts about it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com