A Floor Pump For Travelling

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

I am looking to buy a floor pump that is compact and lightweight for taking on flights.

The Lezyne CNC Travel Floor Drive springs to mind but I have heard really bad things about the Lezyne ABS valves, so bad in fact that even the Lezyne-teams aren't using them: http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pho ... aix/217544

Any recommendations folks? Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RussellS

by RussellS

Blackburn frame pump. It does a good job inflating tires. Not as tiring as you think. Carbon model should go through security without troubles. For two tires a week inflation, it would be very acceptable. And could double as your on bike pump too. Really cheap too.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10 ... 6961_-1___[Ljava.lang.String;@2a142a14
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10 ... 6923_-1___[Ljava.lang.String;@701c701c

headwind816

by headwind816

I own the Lezyne floor pump for travel, and I have to say it works. I will also state that the key to it is to start pumping and don't stop ... the pumping at high PSI seems to depend on momentum.

I carry the Blackburn with me on all rides. I can with some effort achieve get 90-95 PSI ... I suppose if I was the former CA governor I get it higher, lol.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

There is one called topeak mega morph, but it's still about 2 foot long so might as well bring a regular pump.

clarkson

by clarkson

I've got the lezyne travel pump and LOVE everything about it. Older, non ABS valve so I can't speak to that concern, but the pump itself is brilliant. Easy to get up to proper road pressure, very small and light, and the long hose makes it easy to pump without throwing the bike around or breaking a presta valve off. For the price I dont think there is a better option.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

had broken one of the lezyne plastic chuck from threading on it too hard (was using for both shrader and presta), and it is immediately useless. On mine the chuck itself is metal but threads onto a plastic thread + o-ring to seal.

thprice

by thprice

Another option is the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HPG.
Not as good as a floor pump, but has a gauge, gets to >100 psi and is easy to travel with.
http://www.lezyne.com/hand-pumps#panel-7

Wester-Ross

by Wester-Ross

I have the CNC travel floor drive. It is pretty small and light, and works well as a floor pump and gets good pressure easily (although I only ride 105 psi). I have had it a couple of years and it takes up little space in my bike flight case.

The problem with it is that the head screws onto the valve and after successfully inflating the tires when unscrewing the head often the removable valve core unscrews instead. That was happening to me about 60% of the time and was a major PITA. However now I just loctite the valve into the tube and all is well.

Tug Boat

by Tug Boat

I use a topeak road morph. Not the most accurate gauge, but it's been fine for my occasional trip over the past few years. When I fly with my bike, TSA makes me deflate the tires. So I can at least get them ride-able with the Topeak. I'm typically near enough to a bike shop that I can use a gauge there, or even a pump to refine my pressures. But lately, I've been traveling with my CX bike, so whether I'm at 55 or 62 PSI isn't really an issue for me. Pump them up til hard and go ride.

For $30 shipped, it's not a bad gig. Fits in my jersey pocket (sticking out) so I don't have to deal with CO2 on a plane, either.

TB

Rick

by Rick

Well, I have one of these Silca floor pumps that is about 30 years old now.

http://www.sportaid.com/silca-floor-pum ... ssure.html

It is utterly bulletproof.

Pumps are one of those things where they keep coming up with new innovations that we don't really need. I also have a much newer "Joe Blow" high volume floor pump that works adequately well, but is obviously built much cheaper by comparison. I think I bought it because I thought that pump technology MUST have improved over the year....but it hasn't. They just keep adding plastic doodads.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

As always: SKS Rennkompressor.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

jupis

by jupis

I am using Topeak Road Morph when travelling (and commuting). Very light and surprisingly rigid. Can get easily 100PSI and the in-line gauge seems very reliable. Highly recommended!!!
http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/RoadMorphG
Juha H >> Swim > Bike > Run

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

As always: SKS Rennkompressor.

Ciao, ;)

Yes. Got one. Had it about 30 years. But really is not suited to travelling.

A 'floor pump for travelling' should, I think, be of a more compact size and be lighter, as in aluminium, and not steel.

Geoff

by Geoff

I have a Blackburn Airtower 5 in carbon. It is pretty light, but not small...

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Here is the topeak megamorph against a 27" tall luggage.
It's still fairly stiff to pump around 100psi but gets the job done.
Attachments
megamorph.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com