Tubular holding tire pressure?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

phourgenres

by phourgenres

This may sound like a stupid question, but I just want to check before I replace the tires.

Are tubular tires supposed to hold air as long as clinchers? I recently bought a pair of 808s that both had glued tires. The guy had them pumped at 140psi, but within a matter of 4-5 days they had lost all their air. I tried airing them up last night, and they had probably lost 10-20psi since then.

Is there anyway to fix the problem, without replacing them? The tires appear almost brand new.

Gazelleer

by Gazelleer

If it is a quality tubular, with latex inner tube, this is normal. You pump them to the required pressure before you go riding.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

phourgenres

by phourgenres

One has a zipp tangente the other has a Vredestein fortezza pro. Not sure if either of those have latex tubes.

Gazelleer

by Gazelleer

Yes, both latex tubes. Don't worry about it.

phourgenres

by phourgenres

Thanks!

Geoff

by Geoff

Although, you sill may wish to check the quality of the seal of the valve extenders...

mikeson

by mikeson

Hi,

I have a question too.
Do I have to put air all time? or leave as is and when I need put air and go ride?
Because I have a disc and will use only once a while and have to off 2 month.
This case, do I have to put air least once in sometime? or just leave it and put air right before I need to use?

thank you guys.

phourgenres

by phourgenres

I don't see a reason why you should put air in consistently. If you are, I imagine you might wear the tube out just slightly more than letting it sit months at a time.

roca rule

by roca rule

Geoff wrote:Although, you sill may wish to check the quality of the seal of the valve extenders...

geoff is right
i loose about 10-15 psi in 2 days, when i inflate them at around 110psi
the lower the pressure the slower leakage.

phourgenres

by phourgenres

These are my first tubulars, and they already came pre-installed...

Is there a way to check the valve extender seal without detaching the tire?

petal666

by petal666

phourgenres wrote: Is there a way to check the valve extender seal without detaching the tire?
If you are not losing much pressure in the space of a couple of hours I wouldn't even bother.

Geoff

by Geoff

Unfortunately, no. If you can't get them to pressure easily, the problem must be the extenders. That is not very likely down to the Vittoria tires.

denzity

by denzity

I get the same problem with my Zipp 808. At first I thought it was the valve extender, but found that it's actually the tangente tyre. I have conti GP4000s on my other tub wheels and they don't suffer from the 'leak'.

petal666

by petal666

denzity wrote:I get the same problem with my Zipp 808. At first I thought it was the valve extender, but found that it's actually the tangente tyre. I have conti GP4000s on my other tub wheels and they don't suffer from the 'leak'.
Conti tubulars don't use latex tubes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com