Why such big quote difference in Enve SS 3.4's?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

VTBike

by VTBike

I know there are a couple threads on the 3.4's.. but my issue is different.. so of course I believe it requires it's own thread!

Anyway, I have the following quotes:

From C-4 industries: Enve 3.4 SS clincher wheelset, their 190/200 hubs (which retail for $520); and Sapim Ray spokes: $2195

From Fairwheel (whom I trust way more than C-4, but that isn't the point of this post): Enve 3.4SS clincher, Chris King R45 hubs, Sapim Ray Spokes: $2640.

That's a $445 difference. Is C-4 basically giving their hubs away? Are they just giving better deals on Enve rims? (Fairwheel charges the going rate of $975 each for the 3.4 clincher).

Anyway, I already said that I trust Fairwheel more over C-4... but $450 seems like quite a bit given that the hubs probably only have a $50 difference in retail price.

There are also some pretty terrible reviews on C-4 hubs; but in almost every case, C-4 has replaced/repaired the hubs for free.. so customer service at least is spot on.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DartanianX

by DartanianX

VTBike wrote:I know there are a couple threads on the 3.4's.. but my issue is different.. so of course I believe it requires it's own thread!

Anyway, I have the following quotes:

From C-4 industries: Enve 3.4 SS clincher wheelset, their 190/200 hubs (which retail for $520); and Sapim Ray spokes: $2195

From Fairwheel (whom I trust way more than C-4, but that isn't the point of this post): Enve 3.4SS clincher, Chris King R45 hubs, Sapim Ray Spokes: $2640.

That's a $445 difference. Is C-4 basically giving their hubs away? Are they just giving better deals on Enve rims? (Fairwheel charges the going rate of $975 each for the 3.4 clincher).

Anyway, I already said that I trust Fairwheel more over C-4... but $450 seems like quite a bit given that the hubs probably only have a $50 difference in retail price.

There are also some pretty terrible reviews on C-4 hubs; but in almost every case, C-4 has replaced/repaired the hubs for free.. so customer service at least is spot on.

One way to look at it is that C-4 by the sounds of it are essentially clipping the ticket twice on the hubs (as they are both distributor and retailer). And Fairwheel are having to buy in the Chris King hubs which are expensive wholesale (in NZ anyway), and then still make some money on the hubs. And possibly using their reputation to charge more for the labor component.

Hope this helps to clear things up abit, from how I see it anyway.

D

ergott

by ergott

Hubs. You are comparing R45s to something else. The reputations speak for themselves.

Don't spend over $2k in rims and cheap out on the hubs.

VTBike

by VTBike

ergott wrote:Hubs. You are comparing R45s to something else. The reputations speak for themselves.

Don't spend over $2k in rims and cheap out on the hubs.

Yeah, this makes sense of course - but lets not call them R45's.. Retail on Hubset 1 is $520. Retail on Hubset 2 is $558. Price on wheelset with hubset one is $2195. Price on wheelset with Hubset 2 is $2640. The biggest difference is that the distributor of wheelset/hubset 1 is also the manufacturer... So are they really lowering the hub price to get the wheels out the door - or are they offering a better "wheelset" price? I don't actually know that this can be answered... but thought I'd gather opinions.

More than anything though, I hear you saying "your spending a ton on the wheels, but the hubs that have the reputation"...

ergott

by ergott

Being the distributor of your own hubs has it's advantages. Imagine if Chris King sold that Enve build for $2400 instead of the $2640 Fairwheel is. By undercutting Fairwheel why would Fairwheel ever sell Chris King hubs? Talk about burning bridges. I don't care what retail is for C-4 hubs. They don't live up to the reputation of Chris King hubs by a long shot.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Is that $450 or so worth sending your wheels back to C-4 multiple times? If so, then go that route (from my own experience). I'd rather be riding them. Better yet, splurge and get alchemy hubs.
Speedplay is the devil!

boysa

by boysa

mdeth1313 wrote:Better yet, splurge and get alchemy hubs.

Amen!
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

ergott

by ergott

boysa wrote:
mdeth1313 wrote:Better yet, splurge and get alchemy hubs.

Amen!

Well that is how I roll, but The R45s are nice too. Just finished these up a couple of hours ago.

8.9s are next on my list of things to do/build.

brycerider

by brycerider

I agree if you are going to fork out that sort of coin on rims don't skimp on the hubs. I've got some Enve 45s on Tune mig70/mag170. Would have gone Kings but for having the mig70 bouncing around the spares box. Tunes are a pretty good alternative now that have sorted the silly bearingnsetup of the mag180

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2
N+1 It Never Stops

VTBike

by VTBike

Yup, I think that having the distrubutor pricing capability on the hubs must be all this comes down to.

I want to reiterate that this for me is all about what C-4 is up to. I only mentioned Fairwheel by name because they have such a solid reputation; and do indeed have good prices (and a very respected wheel-builder)- simply to eliminate the variability of the "other bike shop" being some other fly-by-night outfit.

As for having the $400 be worth it to send the wheels back over a few years period, clearly the answer is no for me...

Why are Alchemy's better than CK's? They are pretty much the same price, so "springing" for them really isn't necessary. I like how quiet the CK's are, and the colors seem to be much more vibrant (i'm looking at red)

Thanks for all the comments on this, I appreciate hearing everyone's viewpoint.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

It's my understanding that Alchemy hubs really shine in "difficult" builds with über-light rims, low spoke counts and heavy riders, due to their geometry.

With really solid rims like the ENVE ones the Alchemy hubs are still great hubs, but that does not necessairly translate into a "better" complete wheel than with Kings or maybe Tune.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.