How is this 19lbs?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

carbon337

by carbon337

Where is all the wight in this? I suspect a bit everywhere but mostly the frame.

Im considering a Dolan Ares SL frame which is about 1kg plus the full carbon fork - will this knock 3 lbs off my bike and give me something near 16.5 ish which i would be happy with.

Here is spec:

2010 Bianchi Via Nirone Alu Carbon - with carbon rear stays. Alu steerer on carbon/kevlar fork.

Giant Connect compact Bars
Prologo Bar tape
Giant Connect SL 100mm stem
Ultegra 6700 Calipers
Mavic Ksyrium Elite 2011
Ultegra 6700 SS rear mech
Shimano 5700 12-27 cassette
Shimano 105 BB HT2
FSA Gossamer 39/53 crankset
Look Keo Classic
Shimano 5700 Shifters
Shimano 5700 front mech
Continental GP4000s
Selle Italia SL Saddle
Carbon std seatpost
Dura Ace cable set.
Hope Seat Clamb
Elite Plastic Bottle Cage - x1
Normal cheap innertubes.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Well.......here it is.

Fork - anchor
Bars - anchor
Stem - anchor
Wheels - anchor
Cassette - anchor
Crankset - anchor (I am pretty sure this is heavier than my 6700 crankset, and at least the 6700 shifts well)
Levers - anchor (I should know I have them)
Seatpost - anchor (probably is carbon wrapped aluminum......all the looks with none of the benefits)

There is a pretty good list......not sure about the frame, but I would guess it is in the 1400gram + range so that is a chunk too.

I am actually surprise that the build listed isn't more in the neighborhood of 20lbs.....

:beerchug: :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carbon337

by carbon337

^ LIKE

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

All that heavy Shimano stuff you got on there.

c50jim

by c50jim

You asked two questions:

Where is the weight? As others have said, everywhere. There aren't any light parts in your current build.

Will you take off 3 pounds by switching out the frame and fork? Highly unlikely. Your current frame is currently in the 1,500-1,700 gram range so about a pound off there. Your current fork is carbon/alu so you might save a couple of hundred grams there. So my guess is a weight savings in the 1-1.5 range if you just trade out the fork. You could probably save most of that by putting on a light set of wheels and the rest with a lighter crank.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

carbon337 wrote:Im considering a Dolan Ares SL frame which is about 1kg plus the full carbon fork.

Looks like a chinese re-badge to me......wouldn't waste the $$. It has a claimed weight of 1,200 grams for a size 48, so depending on your size it could be just as much as the anchor you are currently on.

If you want to change frames and don't have much coin, get a used CAAD9 or CAAD10.

:beerchug:

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

btompkins0112 wrote:Looks like a chinese re-badge to me......wouldn't waste the $$. It has a claimed weight of 1,200 grams for a size 48, so depending on your size it could be just as much as the anchor you are currently on.

Isn't that the weight for the Ares and not the Ares SL?

Terry Dolan has an excellent rep as a builder so I expect he's had quite a bit of input in the making of these frames.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

5 8 5 wrote:
btompkins0112 wrote:Looks like a chinese re-badge to me......wouldn't waste the $$. It has a claimed weight of 1,200 grams for a size 48, so depending on your size it could be just as much as the anchor you are currently on.

Isn't that the weight for the Ares and not the Ares SL?

Terry Dolan has an excellent rep as a builder so I expect he's had quite a bit of input in the making of these frames.

http://www.dolan-bikes.com/road-bikes/C ... uct_id=466

Click on "Frame Details" and it says 1.2kg.......chunky for having the SL moniker. Also, I highly doubt that they are overestimating their frame weights.

Can't speak to the amount of input he has into the geomoetry, lay-up, etc. but 1,000 GBP for one of those frames is a rip-off in my book. :noidea:

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Yep you're correct. I think there must be a typo in there because the SL is listed at the same weight as standard.

An-Post used the Ares as their team bike last year and I think they are using the Ares and the SL this year.
To dismiss it as a generic Chinese frame is harsh. I don't expect you to know who Terry Dolan is but he's a framebuilding legend in this country.

VTBike

by VTBike

I think you should just tie your bike to the nearest rowboat and start over.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

VTBike wrote:I think you should just tie your bike to the nearest rowboat and start over.

Now that was harsh!

5 8 5....I have heard of Dolan, but the website frankly looks like a bike mill of generic carbon frames and build kits. I have seen many a frame-maker lend their good name to an operation that goes out of hand.....reputation aside, he doesn't put a hand on any of those frames and they charge a premium based on the legendary reputation.

In fact Ribble and Dolan are all pretty much out of the same mould from what I have read.

EDIT: To remove Condor from the discussion......my mistake! :thumbup:
Last edited by btompkins0112 on Wed May 09, 2012 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

btompkins0112 wrote:In fact Ribble, Dolan and Condor are all pretty much out of the same mould from what I have read.

btompkins0112, could you please provide further info regarding this statement?

doozer

by doozer

5 8 5 wrote:I don't expect you to know who Terry Dolan is but he's a framebuilding legend in this country.

:lol:
Dance you cares away, worries for another day, dance your cares away, down at fragglerock.

Geoff

by Geoff

Do these jeans make my butt look big?

carbon337

by carbon337

bit of an update.

I somehow managed to end up buying a Cube litening Super HPC Race 2011 frame, fork and headset brand new EDIT + seatpost Syntace p?.

Moved everything over except BB as its press fit.

Bike is now 17lbs or 7.7 using my rudimentary measuring technique involving bathroom scales + me.

Its also very stiff when climbing and is generally bloody lovely.

Next up Skewers, bars, stem and crankset.

Opinions on a new crankset needed please it will be for pressfit so gxp or HT2.

£209 for 2011 Sram Red 39/53 or £185 for force or get Shimano Ultegra 6700 which closely matches rest of gear. Im finding different weights on the web for all 3 does anyone have the non BB weights please on these 3 - all 172.5 and 39/53

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com