A very vintage WW question: Neutron tubular weight?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FreaK

by FreaK

So, i've been trying to find the ultimate daily tubular for years, and there aren't a lot of Neutron tubulars that come up for sale, most people who have them love them.
After putting a couple hundred km on a set of clincher Neutrons i can see why.
I imagine the Tubular is a couple grams lighter? Does anyone have a weight for it? The WW listings page is missing this classic wheel.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

em3

by em3

See http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listi ... roadwheels

Older Nucleon wheels are exactly the same as the newer Neutrons with the exception of silver instead of newer black spokes. EM3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

FreaK wrote:So, i've been trying to find the ultimate daily tubular for years, and there aren't a lot of Neutron tubulars that come up for sale, most people who have them love them.
After putting a couple hundred km on a set of clincher Neutrons i can see why.
I imagine the Tubular is a couple grams lighter? Does anyone have a weight for it? The WW listings page is missing this classic wheel.

Not that light, very durable wheel though. Problem is that if you need to get parts, get a mortgage as they'll cost a fortune. For daily riding tubs, why not build a pair up on Record hubs? They'll be far more easily serviceable and cost less in the long run.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Problem is that if you need to get parts, get a mortgage as they'll cost a fortune.

Parts? What parts?

I have two sets of those and have never needed any replacement part so far. All parts are still available, none costs a fortune. Not overhere anyhow.

As for the weight, officially it would be same as the current clincher version. I could weigh a set if you' like as one is currently sans tubulars so that would be easy to weigh.

The only alloy set from Campa I like even better and it's also lighter, is the old Eurus (tubular version) but you'd be hard pressed to find a set though.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

Problem is that if you need to get parts, get a mortgage as they'll cost a fortune.

Parts? What parts?

I have two sets of those and have never needed any replacement part so far. All parts are still available, none costs a fortune. Not overhere anyhow.

As for the weight, officially it would be same as the current clincher version. I could weigh a set if you' like as one is currently sans tubulars so that would be easy to weigh.

The only alloy set from Campa I like even better and it's also lighter, is the old Eurus (tubular version) but you'd be hard pressed to find a set though.

Ciao, ;)
£40 for 6 spokes is a little pricey imo, compared to regular DT Competitions, on a wheel set that is going to be used daily.

http://www.totalcycling.com/a-z/spokes_ ... spoke.html

FreaK

by FreaK

I've replaced a fair few spokes on the neutrons around me. And yes, they are too costly, and for some dumb reason come in packs of left and right spokes. Obviously that means i've got about a million non-drive side spokes, and somewhere around -2 drive side spokes hanging around.
but otherwise the rest of the parts are the same as other campy hubs.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

FreaK

by FreaK

did you ever weigh the unglued wheels? I'm curious if the official weight stacks up.

For the record, I have ended up with a set of 32spokers with record hubs, and campy record crono rims to boot. But you know what, either the rim bed profile, or something, leaves me a little flat. That and the rounded brake track continues to bug me, especially with tight tolerances on my frame and fork - brake shoes at the top of the slot in the front, bottom in the rear. Also, word to the wise, they go for a premium, but the red Swisstop pads are the best thing i've used. Don't ask me why but my riding eats pads like crazy and the swistop reds are the only thing that lasts for me. If you can find the Ritchey red pads they might well be the same compound and were cheap and cheerful.
-
tymon_tm

sawyer

by sawyer

LOL - what are all these spoke breakers doing wrong? Broken 1 campagnolo spoke in my life and that was an RD crashing through the back of a shamal ultra at 65km/h ... bent not snapped.

Anyway, the tech is there for Campag to build a 1300g odd set of updated Neutron tubulars - and I wish they'd get on and do it.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Got 2 pairs of Neutron tubbies, fantastic wheels. I don't have a scale, but with tubs they end up seeming to be about the same weight as Zondas (which are 1550g) with tubeless. The spoke breakage happens because they have high tension on the rear and relatively low spoke count, not a massive problem though, I've always been able to find spares (1 spoke break).

edit- fwiw they fit 11 speed Campag just fine, no issues :thumbup:

sawyer

by sawyer

ultyguy - how doe they ride vs. Zondas. Obviously better handling, what about weight and stiffness?

Campag should rationalise their wheel range. Ditch the Eurus, Shamal Ultra, and Neutron and bring out a clincher and tubular with BU2 hubs, a smooth U shape wider rim, 16F and 21R. 13XXg for each.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Yeah. Something along those lines.
As some member suggested (I think it was LionelB) a aluminum rimmed version of the fab Hyperon would not go a miss.

Ciao, ;)
Last edited by fdegrove on Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

There were rumours of a wider Neutron Ultra tubular for 2014 but those seem not to have materialized, pity :cry:

Zonda vs Neutron- Neutron feels a bit cushier, no doubt the fact that it's a tubular rim and a tubular tire being the biggest reason. Otherwise, they're just as stiff and spin up just the same. But of course the other big + is the pedigree :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com