Hubs - Chris King v PMP v Royce

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dov

by Dov

Do Chris King make the R45 in a campag fitting yet? I don't think they do.

If the choice was for me I'd take the King's as the Royce makes too much noise for my liking, up thread someone suggested Hope but they make even more of a racket!
Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jdp211

by jdp211

King does produce a Campy option for the r45 now

Courant

by Courant

owl wrote:There is a sense of terroir with combining italian hubs and rims, I always thought Campag Record 9/10sp hubs look great on F20s, many riders in the early 2000s thought so (Popovych in his unusually strong year of 2003 used this combo at the Giro).

This, indeed, is my next wheel project ;-)

sideshow_bob

by sideshow_bob

Is there any reason you wouldn't consider the White Industries?

Courant

by Courant

In the UK, at least, cost of the WI hubs is an issue. They're not super expensive, but by the time you factor in either the UK distributor's markup or shipping & customs from the USA, they work out considerably more than e.g. the PMPs for something that is very similar all round. Shame, because they look decent hubs, next time I'm building wheels, I'll see if I can plan a cunning work trip to the states!

owl

by owl

Courant - you have impeccable taste in wheelsets, take same photos when the build is done, it might be may tubular build I am looking to do, or possilbly with FIR ST120s

Cheers

Owl
Owl

Jamiemcp

by Jamiemcp

I went for the Chris Kings in the end. You only live once.

gmitt98

by gmitt98

Jamiemcp wrote:I went for the Chris Kings in the end. You only live once.

Quote of the day.

cornas

by cornas

I'm in the same situation as the OP, but I'm more concerned with how stiff the build will be. I assume that the flanges have different spacing and what not, so does anyone have any input which hub will build the stiffest wheel? I will use the wheels mainly for crits.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

jdp211 wrote:King does produce a Campy option for the r45 now

They do but......it would appear they've overlooked 12t cassettes. There's no lockring available to fit the Campagnolo body and it's a unique thread. Duh!

bones

by bones

tigoose wrote:i'd go for the loudest cassette body i could find, but thats me :wink:

If you want the loudest rear hub / cassette body then you want a Chris King hub. Seriously. King hubs are vastly overrated. Some people are kinda like dumb and just buy based on name alone. Don't be that guy.

ronf100

by ronf100

ultimobici wrote:

They do but......it would appear they've overlooked 12t cassettes. There's no lockring available to fit the Campagnolo body and it's a unique thread. Duh!

I have Chris King's R45 for 11 speed Campy with a Chris King locking for my Campy 12-27 cassette . I had the option of an 11tooth lockring but needed the 12

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

ronf100 wrote:
ultimobici wrote:

I have Chris King's R45 for 11 speed Campy with a Chris King locking for my Campy 12-27 cassette . I had the option of an 11tooth lockring but needed the 12
I'm going on the info given by the importer. Perhaps it is just that they weren't fully briefed? Either way CK hubs are a massively overpriced option for Campagnolo, IMO. Record are as light and far far cheaper to buy and maintain. Oh, and way way quieter to boot!

sideshow_bob

by sideshow_bob

bones wrote:
tigoose wrote:i'd go for the loudest cassette body i could find, but thats me :wink:

If you want the loudest rear hub / cassette body then you want a Chris King hub. Seriously. King hubs are vastly overrated. Some people are kinda like dumb and just buy based on name alone. Don't be that guy.

That may or may not have been historically true on the Classics. The R45's I don't see as being overly loud, they are about the same as any number of other hubs I've run. Having said that, a couple of drops of lightweight oil into the ring drive and it runs pretty much silent.

Are the CK's the lightest? No. But they are pieces of engineering beauty. You can appreciate that or not. It's subjective whatever floats your boat, but they are absolutely bulletproof.

Campy hubs I've had have been way louder than the CK's, not that that bothers me, I always thought to Campys sounded sweet.

FWIW, I've got a set of R45's and a set of White Industries - maybe its the looks, but I prefer the WI's.

bluesea

by bluesea

I've ridden behind an R45 a number of times this year, and still don't know what it sounds like.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com