Who does not wear a helmet ?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

artray

by artray

I do not wear a helmet. I live in london and all of the rides I do, I have to ride in heavy traffic at some point.
I have never worn a helmet since my days as a cycle messenger. I do have a decent mop of quite long blondish hair and It makes me easy to spot . I think the riders with helmets tend to blend into the background a bit and drivers can feel a bit nonchalant about them. I do get a the odd shout of "get a helmet" among other things, but that shows that drivers are aware of me. I have rode abroad, in France mainly and nobody cares even when riding up some of the big mountains although coming down is when I do think a helmet may help but it is just to hot and I am not getting my haircut. Whats your thoughts out there?

hna

by hna

Seriously, wear a helmet. It will save you life one day. I do not ride to the store without one. As a racer I have walked away from several crashes that would have cracked my skull if I hadn't been wearing my helmet. I'd much rather have a ruined hair cut than have my brain mass on the tarmac.
Last edited by hna on Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

I do not wear a helmet 75% of the time. I go by some "rules" though...such as always wearing a helmet on group rides, or when riding abroad or in unknown terrain. I am pro choice, but after reading some of the stories from cyclists on this board, I can imagine that some people cannot believe that one goes for a ride without a helmet. Those are some scary stories! You're a brave bunch, still riding your bikes after being hit by cars more than once.

I live in The Netherlands though and on my regular rides I encounter almost no cars, no junctions, no elevation changes, my speed rarely goes over 35 km/h, the road surface is great and I've ridden these routes for years. I know it doesn't guarantee anything, but I feel completely safe without a helmet.

[edit: typo]
Last edited by Sjoerd on Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Helmets are meant to protect the most important/essential part of your anatomy........the fact you don't feel compelled to wear one serves to suggest that your brain isn't really doing much for you.........ride-on! :smartass: :noidea:

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

If you fall off on a mountain descent at 40mph+ (goats should be kept on a leash or something) you will be thankful that it's the helmet that explodes when it hits the ground and not your skull. At least I was.

It’s your life do what you like, but no matter how hirsute you are hair won’t absorb an impact with tarmac/pedestrian/tipper truck...
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

kgt

by kgt

Always wear a helmet. Hospitals have lots of serious emergency cases to treat. They don't need more unresponsible cyclists.

campbellrae

by campbellrae

I always wear one, while touring last summer in the Highlands of Scotland I tried riding without one but felt 'naked' without it and had to put it back on. Having grown up MTB racing I had to wear one to race,so it just feels natural now. Also having had a few big crashes and destroyed helmets I am glad that I always wear one. Don't think I could say I would have been killed(although the doctors seemed to think so after one crash)without one, but definitely avoided a very very sore head/maybe a fractured skull!

However, I don't think I would say go down the route that Australia has taken and make everyone wear one and enforce it with hefty fines, each unto their own after all.

_SJ_

by _SJ_

Who does not wear a helmet?

People who have nothing to protect by wearing one.

Discussion over.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Just put one on.

Fourthbook

by Fourthbook

+1

It probably saved my life in a crash that snapped 7 ribs in two and punctured a lung...
Wilier Cento1 SR
13.10 lbs (5.95 kgs) w/Enve 3.4-Tune 70/170 & Conti Competitions tubulars
12.53 lbs (5.68 kgs) w/FarSports 24-Extralite & Vittoria CX EVO II tubulars

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I have destroyed two helmets, once I got away with only bruises, the other time a car hit me from side/behind and it was "just" a collarbone. The morale (for me) is that safety is out of your control, and one day you will meet an unattentive driver, cyclist, or pedestrian, and bad things can happen. Better not gamble, you have enough unprotected body parts to make even a moderatly fast crash end nasty.

artray

by artray

btompkins0112 wrote:Helmets are meant to protect the most important/essential part of your anatomy........the fact you don't feel compelled to wear one serves to suggest that your brain isn't really doing much for you.........ride-on! :smartass: :noidea:

If you took the time to read my thread , I mentioned I was cycle courier in london for a couple of years, I always felt safer knowing that I was more visible with my big mop of hair weaving through the traffic rather than sinking into the background. Riding in a urban landscape, being seen is vital and I had less crashes/accidents than my helmet wearing co workers. The horrific Deaths that have occured in London have been due to Lorrys crushing cyclists and no helmet is going to help in that situation.
It is my choice and I think a safer option in my case to ride without a helmet in the city. Riding up the Mt vontoux or Alp de huez in the summer, it gets very very hot and I make my choice to climb without a helmet as it's way more comfortable , so that is the choice ,right or wrong that I make . My brain works very well thanks , unlike your unoriginal cheap moronic jibe
. :beerchug:

Rodrego Hernandez

by Rodrego Hernandez

Wear one if you want to, don't wear one if you don't want to.

Simple choice. The arguments for and against are numerous, not wearing one won't kill you and wearing one won't save your life.

Personal choice, it's up to the individual.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

artray wrote:
btompkins0112 wrote:Helmets are meant to protect the most important/essential part of your anatomy........the fact you don't feel compelled to wear one serves to suggest that your brain isn't really doing much for you.........ride-on! :smartass: :noidea:

If you took the time to read my thread , I mentioned I was cycle courier in london for a couple of years, I always felt safer knowing that I was more visible with my big mop of hair weaving through the traffic rather than sinking into the background. Riding in a urban landscape, being seen is vital and I had less crashes/accidents than my helmet wearing co workers. The horrific Deaths that have occured in London have been due to Lorrys crushing cyclists and no helmet is going to help in that situation.
It is my choice and I think a safer option in my case to ride without a helmet in the city. Riding up the Mt vontoux or Alp de huez in the summer, it gets very very hot and I make my choice to climb without a helmet as it's way more comfortable , so that is the choice ,right or wrong that I make . My brain works very well thanks , unlike your unoriginal cheap moronic jibe
. :beerchug:

Notice the :smartass: face......bit of hot-head are we? (Sarcastic Pun intended).

You put your opinion out there and asked for our opinions.....be careful what you wish for. Did you only expect responses that supported your "moronic" decision to ride sans lid?? If you have always felt safer/cooler without a helmet and aren't going to wear one regardless of the comments received, then why did you waste our time by asking??

In the end it is your decision what to do in your life........ :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com