MTB power meter users

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

devinci

by devinci

Anyone uses a power meter on their mtb?

How do you like it? Wich power meter are you using?

Is it useful despite doing the bulk of training on the road bike?

Is it usefull despite de stochastic nature of mtb riding?

From what I see, it would be usefull for measuring kj expandure but it doesnt count what you burn while descending. Other utilities I see is post race analysis and time spent at certain wattage. Quadrant analysis could be usefull too.

Not sure its worth droping the $$$ though. Any feedback welcomed

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dalai

by Dalai

Wired MTB SRM's have popped up on ebay once in a while for not alot of $$. Since you already have a PCV you could easily use for both?

boots2000

by boots2000

Wired MTB SRMs are likely the worst SRMs ever produced. Not accurate at all.
Go for a new SRM- if you already have a Powercontrol or a Garmin you can get away with buying just the powermeter.
You are correct in their usefullness. Difficult to you for pacing like on road because climbs are more on-off on dirt.
But you can see what KJ expenditure is as well as peak power segments.
I have been an SRM user for many years and I have been tempted by the new MTB SRM units- but I always come back down to earth and realize that it will not tell me anything I don't already know.

yeaux

by yeaux

I have an MTB powertap (can be found on ebay from $400-$600 USD depending on the day). I've found that it appears to be accurate. I like having it for the same reasons you have stated - KJ, peak, TSS calc, etc.

I would consider getting one if you're interested. If nothing else, it's an easy sell on ebay.

Geoff

by Geoff

As we have discussed, it depends upon how you use it.

For racing, it is not perfect. As you say, the nature of the power output in MTB in a race is different than road. That doesn't mean that race data yields useless information, just that it has a more limited application.

I run an old, wired SRM. It appears to be accurate and I have never had any issues with it dropping data etc. As you know, I use it more for off-season training in bad conditions, so my MTB is really a heavy-duty road bike with 26" tubulars. I think you will find that the SRM MTB would have the effect of stretching-out your season and including different types of riding to keep you motivated. For that purpose alone, it pays for itself.

Dalai

by Dalai

boots2000 wrote:Wired MTB SRMs are likely the worst SRMs ever produced. Not accurate at all.

I wasn't aware of this plus didn't think it appropriate to have the cranks on a cheap hardtail I rarely ride...

Any reason why the MTB version is less accurate than the SRM Pro road version? Third chainring cause issues?

wetpaint

by wetpaint

I have a powertap, I love it, the power lines right up with my SRM as far as I can tell. It works great around here because we have fast single tracks where you are pedaling most of the time.

boots2000

by boots2000

The powermeter was small and far from the sensor. You needed a different type sensor in most cases with a magnet zip tied on as well.

Dalai wrote:
boots2000 wrote:Wired MTB SRMs are likely the worst SRMs ever produced. Not accurate at all.

I wasn't aware of this plus didn't think it appropriate to have the cranks on a cheap hardtail I rarely ride...

Any reason why the MTB version is less accurate than the SRM Pro road version? Third chainring cause issues?

Geoff

by Geoff

There may be some drift between the power readings on the inner ring and those of the outer and middle ring. I have not seen anything definitive on that, though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

toiyuet

by toiyuet

I retired from the race for seven years, I stick to on road training year after year.
I have DA 7950 SRM on my bike, I am still learning and love it.