Stiffness of Ksyrium Elite v handbuilt Kinlin 300?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dieselgeezer

by dieselgeezer

I've built a rear Kinlin 300 onto a Novatec Superlight hub, 24 spoke, Sapim Race 2X DS (120kg tension) & Sapim Laser radial heads out NDS & it seems quite OK but possibly not as laterally stiff as I expected.
Comparing it with a Ksyrium Elite which has a much shallower rim & only 20 spokes, which would or should be the stiffer?
Many thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gpeterson63

by gpeterson63

ksyriums are known to be super stiff so i would definitely not be surprised that those kinlins aren't as stiff laterally, especially using sapim lasers which are very thin

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I have ridden both (sold the Ksyrium's and currently ride the XR300's). I much prefer the ride of the XR300's (Sapim Laser and BikeHubStore hubs) and I can't detect a difference in stiffness laterally (I am 160lbs) vs. the Kysrium's, I felt like they were harsh and didn't ride well.

Adrien
WWotY 2007

by Adrien

dieselgeezer wrote:I've built a rear Kinlin 300 onto a Novatec Superlight hub, 24 spoke, Sapim Race 2X DS (120kg tension) & Sapim Laser radial heads out NDS & it seems quite OK but possibly not as laterally stiff as I expected.
Comparing it with a Ksyrium Elite which has a much shallower rim & only 20 spokes, which would or should be the stiffer?
Many thanks

A wheel built with XR300 rims and 24 spokes 2.0-1.8/2.0-1.5 must be as stiff as the Ksyrium Elite. The handbuilt wheel will feel way more lively/responsive though.
First because it would be lighter, and second because the even spokes tensions make the wheel feel better contrary to factory built wheels.