what tubulars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hyperexcitability

by hyperexcitability

hi guys.. i want to tell me your opinion about these options..

1. dura ace c35 tubular .. 1.900 euro

2. fast forward f4r dt180 tubular 1.600 euro

3. bontrager aeolus 3 tubular 1.800 euro

sawyer

by sawyer

I've ridden none of them, so I'll tell you my view - go for 303s instead.

If you have to get one of the above then go for the Shimano. Better hubs and likely stiffer. If not either 303s or save money with FFW4Rs without the DT hubs.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

- Corima aero +
- Fulcrum Racing speed
- Campagnolo Bora One
all around 1200-1400 euros

jasjas

by jasjas

I really like my C35 tubs, they seem incredibly strong...... spin up well and have a 3yr warranty - as for the rest cant say

Kasparz

by Kasparz

sawyer wrote:If not either 303s or save money with FFW4Rs without the DT hubs.

Why without DT hubs? I love DT hubs as long as you avoid heavy rain and you should with expensive wheelset anyway.

murph100

by murph100

The regular FFWD hubs are actually very good, not much point in paying the extra for DT Swiss hubs unless you really want the name there.

Kasparz wrote:

Why without DT hubs? I love DT hubs as long as you avoid heavy rain and you should with expensive wheelset anyway.

konky

by konky

I have a set of c35s and love them. They are serious pro level performance wheels and can definately be used for every day hard use. Superb cup and cone bearings and lovely road feel. In my view the c35 tubs are in a different class to the Bonragers and Fast Forwards.

sawyer

by sawyer

murph100 wrote:The regular FFWD hubs are actually very good, not much point in paying the extra for DT Swiss hubs unless you really want the name there.

Kasparz wrote:

Exactly. Pro level rim with what is reputedly a very good low cost hub. Makes the non DT FFWD hoops one of the tub bargains out there.

Speaking of which I got some Bora Ones a couple of years ago for 900 euros new which wasn't bad either. Don't ride them that much as I have Zipps also.

On the heavy rain point, I'd want ability to cope with all conditions to be an advantage of the more expensive hub, not a drawback FFS! cf Shimano and Campagnolo. DT Hubs = way overpriced.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Depends on what you are looking for.

If you want the stiffest carbon wheel with descent aero properties, then that would be the Mavic Cosmic Carbone Ultimate full carbon wheel, stiffest for sure.

If you want good stiffness with great aero, you are looking at the Zipp FC, new Bontrager D3 etc like you mention, or new Hed. All three are using similar aero fundamental design shapes. They all believe that you will likely encounter between a 10-20 degree xwind more often during riding than any other condition, and are optimized to reduce drag under those circumstances...each argues how much xwind, but the principle is the same.

Unfortunately, Zipp seems to be the only real wheel you can easily find in the wild, are for a reasonable price on eBay and such.

I personally like my Zipp 303 FC tubulars on Vittoria Corsa CX Evo 320tpi tires. Great ride from the wheels and tires, the aero science is proven and the wheels are pretty stiff due to the wider hubs, particularly the rear hub and rim design. I've been real happy with them.

hyperexcitability

by hyperexcitability

On Friday i will receive my C35's...
Could you suggest me, best brake pads for this wheels?

Colnago68

by Colnago68

I know they are not on your list but i have to recommend the Reynolds DV 46 ULT. Good price, tubulars are very light (~1150), aero ...

fa63

by fa63

He just posted that he will receive his C35 wheels on Friday, so too late for recommendations now :?

As for brake pads, I have had good luck with Swiss Stop Yellow (but then again I live in flat Florida and don't do a whole lot of heavy braking).

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I don't care for yellows. They will leave yellow marks on your brake tracks.

I'm using Zipp platinum, which are basically swisstop yellows, but they are grey.

Also, people say good things about the Reynolds, blues. Likely swisstops also, just blue!

Yellows are fine and work, but the yellow crap they left on my tracks bothered me.

notsoswift

by notsoswift

Reynolds Blue are not quite the same as Swiss stop yellows
I have used both, have Reynolds wheels that came with them, the used Yellows, now back on Blues
I love the Blues, they do wear a bit faster, but feel better (I think). They may be made by Swiss stop, honestly don't know, but they are not the same compound.

Both are pretty good pads and maybe the Reynolds combo work better for me because of the Reynolds rim is matched to the pad :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RWH

by RWH

Regarding the brakepads, why not try the brakepads which come with the c35's first. If they are not to your liking, you can always change to something else.
Never give up, never say die.