Bertoletti Custom Fire

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

owl

by owl

I am starting my build. The point of this bike is to build something that is reasonable in weight but with all reliable sturdy parts. This will not please the weenies out there, but I know will have some fans who have built similar projects - Legs11, Kgt, Powerfulpete etc.

I chose to go Campag Square Taper Record Chainset, Centaur 2009 FD to give it an early 2000s theme. I have tracked down ITM Millenium Stem and handlebars for the same reason.

Just waiting on a Campag Rear Derailleur with no carbon - 9sp Record Titanium would be ideal. Also trying to source Campag Record pre-skeleton brake calipers, but might have to settle on Centaur Skeletons in the next few weeks.

See pic below - full build list to follow over next few weeks.
Attachments
DSCN2432ww.JPG
Owl

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ari

by Ari

Sounds like a fun stroll down memory lane! Look forward go final build and photos.
Seven Axiom Ti, Reynolds UL Fork, Campagnolo Super Record 11

In Progress: Salsa Podio, Alpha Q GS10 Fork, Campagnolo Chorus 11

mm1

by mm1

Where did you get that frame? Gorgeous!

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Now THAT is nice! Very nice!!!

What steel was it made from Owl?

owl

by owl

TP - It's aluminium, which is dying out a bit with some builders. Dedacciai Fire. It is a nice tubeset that is quite robust. I love the paint scheme and whilst its no weenie, neither is it a porker. It is an interesting alternative to a CAAD9 or a Merckx Premium. If you are lighter than me you could go for an XLR8 or EM2 frame which could be built in a size 54 to around 1150-1200gm. A D7.9 frame would easily build in size 54 to around 890gm.

MM1 - The frame is built by Marco Bertoletti of Bergamo - see http://www.mbbike.it.He builds in alu, steel, titanium and carbon. He also sub-contracts for other builders. I was really pleased with his customer service. :beerchug:

Ari - yes it is a stroll down memory lane - I started to get into cycling in 1999. I always wanted a Campy Record decked alu frame and lusted after David Millars and VDB's MBKs (Cyfacs), Simoni's Fondriest, Casagrande's De Rosa etc. This is an up to date interpretation of those bikes, rather than a replica.
Owl

owl

by owl

I agree Juanmoretime - it ain't retro as it 130mm oln. I could have got a cheaper carbon frame but fancied something aluminium - could get it down to around 7.1kg which isn't particularly weenie, but it is robust enough for me.
Owl

Timo

by Timo

Ferrari red and tricolores! I like that paint scheme! :thumbup:
And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

sakic

by sakic

I like it too. :thumbup:

I have a similar thing, I like that era bikes and just built a de rosa like Casagrande's, it's not a merak, rather a team model in the same colour way.

Similar spec to what you have, early 10 speed group, 26 dia deda newtons bar & stem and 32 hole wheels, original flite saddle, I even got the white SILVA bar tape.

There were some great bikes from back then, as far as I am concered some of them rode really well too.

I love the colour of yours though. Looks great.

owl

by owl

After 3 years I have finally got round to updating the post. Will add the weights when i get a new set of scales and strip it down at the end of the summer (this will annoy some of you).

The idea of the build is a not a replica of early 2000s bikes, but an updated interpretation. I loved Simoni's Fondriest of 2001 and Tonkov's Fondriest of 2002, Millar's /VDB's MBK (really cyfacs etc.), but could never afford them at the time. I have put on weight over the winter (like 9kgs :oops: ). Slowly losing it to get back down to 75Kg's at which point I will replace the Regal (which my butt loves) with my SLR, and at which point might consider a lighter post (Smud?). Also considering a Smud Front Derailleur clamp and Record 10 Fd, which would be lighter, but would spoil the tying together of silver parts. Apologies for the rather rushed photography. The removal of decals from the seatpost and forks has really improved the aesthetics, still need to put some UV303 protectant, and do a final wet sand at 1000 grit to get a lovel y satin finish.

I am considering dabbling with tubulars and might get the wheelset rebuilt with Ambrosio F20s at the end of the season, as I love the small box cross section (the excellight's have a slightly raised v profile which doesn't look as classy IMHO. I used to tt on Tubulars and enjoyed the gluing process :D )

Please chip in with any suggestions on where to take the build next , but I am happy with the aesthetics and reliability of the current set up.

Build list:

Bertoletti Fire Frame - 56.5 tt, 52. 5 st, 73 STA, 15.5 ht, 73 hta (built to exact requirements, I let Marco choose chainstay length as he is knows better than I do on this aspect of geometry). I have longer legs and ape like arms, with a proportionally short torso.

Forks - Refinished Stella Azzura Bellagio - clear coat and decals stripped - need to add some UV 303 protectant when I have time

Seatpost - Refinished Stella Azzura Monza - same as above. I might also wet sand with 1000 grit to get a better finish when I have time

Seatpost Collar - Campag 31.8

Saddle - Selle San Marco Regal, Ti Rails - love this saddle is so comfy but is more than twice the weight of my SLR

Stem - Deda Newton 26.0 12 cm

Bars - ITM millenium 4 ever 26, 44cm (o-o) - I love shape of these bars not quite sure how they class them (round, shallow etc). Got these NOS and I love them :lol:

Headset - Campag Record 1"

Headset cap - Fibrelyte

Headset expander - MPart 1" - this is heavy but it is the only 1" expander that does not slip - I would be grateful if there are any recommendations out there. And no I wont remove it, I like the mental reassurance :oops:

Ergos - Campag Record 10sp

FD - Campag Centaur 2009, 31.8 band

RD - Campag Centaur 2009, short cage, modified with Tiso alu pivot bolt, Fibrelyte Mech Cage, Fibrelyte jockey wheels

Chainset - Campag Record 10 sp square taper - my favourite component, simple, looks classy, not worried about stiffness, I ain't no Cippolini.

BB - Campag Record 10 sp square taper - smooth as butter

Chain - KMC 10XSl Gold finish - I think silver would tie in better with the build, will replace when I wear out the cassette

Cassette - Recon 12/25 - had to get the gold finish as there wasn't a silver one in stock when I wanted it. Takes a bit longer to get the shifting correct, but doesn't bite into the freewheel, and is one of the few ww parts in this build. I have learned to love it :?

Brakes - Campag Athena - love the finish and they work very well.

Cables Gear/Brake - Ilinks with campag inner cables. Totally adore the alligator outer links, so much easier to get the cable length bang on. I have managed to use none of the ghastly long ferrules and the shifting is spot on. I wouldn't use anything else now.

Wheels - Ambriosio Excellight SSC, PMP hubs, DT Revs 28/32 - Super smooth hubs, might not be superlight, but they will last and all parts except hub shell are replaceable :lol:

Tires - Vittoria Evo SC - love the classic looks, bigger volume than Veloflex that I have used and loved for 6 years. They are going to get dirty - will make up my mind after 1000km

Inner Tubes - Michelin Aircomp Light - tried latex loved the feel but hated the reliability of them (developing bulges over time). These are light and with a great machined valve (much better than vittoria which are crap).

Pedals - Look Keo Blade Ti 16nm - I cannot explain just how great these are, light and work really effectively. I wouldn't use anything else now.
Attachments
WW02.jpg
WW03.jpg
WW05.jpg
WW07.jpg
WW09.jpg
WW10.jpg
WW12.jpg
WW13.jpg
WW14.jpg
WW15.jpg
Owl

owl

by owl

Update - sold the regal as didnt get on with it. Got a smud post and saddle done by Piotr last summer, excellent vfm. Sorry for the poor pic, will do a better one later. All set up for a sportive ride next Sunday back in Wales.

Where would you take this build next, the obvious place to loose weight is the chainset and bb?
Attachments
ww-6.jpg
Owl

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Wow, missed this first time around, mega win! I too love those early 2000s alu frames. I've got a Ridley Scandium and a Cyfac RandoNerv, love them both. You've done a fantastic job on yours. Especially love the alu chainset. I've also got 2009 Centaur on my Cyfac, very underrated stuff, works brilliantly and quite light.

hetchins68

by hetchins68

:beerchug: :thumbup:

owl wrote:Update - sold the regal as didnt get on with it. Got a smud post and saddle done by Piotr last summer, excellent vfm. Sorry for the poor pic, will do a better one later. All set up for a sportive ride next Sunday back in Wales.

Where would you take this build next, the obvious place to loose weight is the chainset and bb?

TeoTri

by TeoTri

I visited the Bertoletti factory , his works are amazing, congratulations for your purchase

Ruimteaapje

by Ruimteaapje

owl wrote:Where would you take this build next, the obvious place to loose weight is the chainset and bb?

Did you consider a matching red paintjob for the fork? The weight is indeed in the chainset, but also in the wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Very, very nice. Not much to improve there, honestly, But if you feel the urge, it is the crankset and the wheels... although with the wheels, even if you go carbon, keep it low profile (Hyperons)?
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.