Enigma Echo

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Simonhi

by Simonhi

Long time lurker / occasional poster I though I should post up my current No. 1, posted a few weeks ago in the Ti thread I reckon this bike deserves a thread of it's own.

I built this as my first road bike last October having researched like mad. I bought the frame and fork after a great morning test riding a few Enigmas at their HQ in East Sussex. I found the owner Jim to be really enthusiastic about road bikes and I think some of that rubbed off on me, so I bought the frame fork and headset there and then. It also it happened to be the last mirror polished XL that they had in stock.

I decided to go quite light with my build choosing to save weight where I could but also keeping in mind a practicality that my 95kgs bulk would be hauling away at it I also opted for strong components where needed. I know I could easily get under the 7kgs barrier by upgrading the forks, switching to tubular wheels and lighter cables but for now this is how it stands.

So, enough waffle.

Frame: Enigma Echo, mirror polished, XL frame (59cm effective top tube)
Forks: Enigma Electron carbon.
Bars: New Ultimate white carbon
Stem: New Ultimate white alloy
Headset: Enigma integrated
Bar Tape: Lizard Skins DSP 1.8mm

Group Set: Campagnolo Super Record 11 speed, carbon crank, titanium axle and 53/39 titanium chain rings. 12-29 cassette. Rear derailleur is tuned with Extralite jockey wheels, Front derailed is mounted to the frame using MCFC carbon clamp.

Seat: Tune Kom Vor
Seat Post: New Ultimate white carbon
Seat Post Clamp: Extralite

Pedals: Speedplay Zero Titanium

Bottle holders: AX Lightness

Wheels:
Rim: Enve 45 Clincher, 24 hole front, 28 rear
Spokes: Sapim CX ray Black, radial from 2 cross rear.
Hubs: Tune Mig (70) and Mag (170)
Tubes: Conti Supersonic
Tire: Conti GP4000s
QR Skewers: Carbon Ti.

Weight: 7.05 kgs (15.5 lbs)

Big thanks go to Jim at Enigma for letting me take out a few bikes to help decide, and James at Rock and Road Southampton for building me a pair of sweet wheels !!!

Pics:

The pictures are not the latest ones since I have changed the bar tape to white , hoods to black, and upgraded the saddle to a Kom Vor +, other than that it is all the same.

I also have another build in the pipeline coming later in the year for a steel framed winter / dirt road bike which will come in a bit heavier but still have the same attention to detail in selecting components, so far Mavic Open Pros laced 32h 3 cross to Royce Hubs with a Record 11 groupset. Might need some help with the finer details on that one.

Cheers,

Si.

klingej

by klingej

Well that's just stunning! How's the ride?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roasty

by Roasty

wow that is a beautiful bike! love the black and white accents.

Simonhi

by Simonhi

klingej wrote:Well that's just stunning! How's the ride?

Thanks, hard to say really as it's my first time on a road bike.

It seems really nice, even bumpy roads don't cause too much trouble although it can get quite shaky if the road surface is very irregular and I am doing 30kph but I figured most bikes will report the same. I run the tryes quite hard (115 front, 120 rear) so I know I could improve comfort if I chose to loose and few pounds to soften things up a little.

What I can say is that I regularly hit 80 kph and it seems really planted and solid. When I stam on the pedals it goes, and when i run into a corner is just seems to glide round. I recently did a 160km ride and was find afterwards, no numbness at all. Being sat on a solid carbon saddle for over six and half hours I though I would at least have a few aches and pains but nothing. The next day my legs let me know about it though :-)

I never realised road riding could be so much fun having come from MTB'ing it is a revalation, and I don't come home covered in mud !!!

lcoolb

by lcoolb

Not a bad effort for a first road bike ;)
Seriously though, that is one stunning ride. Congrats!

iamalex

by iamalex

Love the bike!
Can I ask, did you try many other Ti frames before settling on the Echo and if so what swung it for you?

I also have an Enigma Echo but coming to the conclusion it's a little too long for me and looking to replace the frame. Another (shorter) Echo is certainly on my list but also thinking about the Lynskey Cooper and R230 as possible alternatives.
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=96256

Simonhi

by Simonhi

iamalex wrote:Love the bike!
Can I ask, did you try many other Ti frames before settling on the Echo and if so what swung it for you?

I also have an Enigma Echo but coming to the conclusion it's a little too long for me and looking to replace the frame. Another (shorter) Echo is certainly on my list but also thinking about the Lynskey Cooper and R230 as possible alternatives.
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=96256

Hi,

This is the first road bike I have owned, I spent a morning at Enigma HQ in East Sussex, I rode an Effusion, Extensor and Echo.

Having not riden a road bike for any length of time I trusted Jim at Enigma when he said that the Echo would be the most "all day comfortable", more compliant than the other two and forgiving in a non-racer way.

I've not regretted the decision, it's a flattering ride and of the few 160km rides I've done I can testify that it is all day comfy.

I fell in love with the mirror polished frame and at the time had a Ti Lynskey MTB so was sold on the bare metal look.

In the waiting line for a custom XCR frame to be built up by Ricky Feather, it's going to be more of a stage race, classic lugged, bike. Gonna stick with Campagnolo group, classic bend bars and Ambrosio tubs laced to Royce hubs, can't wait.

quattrings

by quattrings

This thread is useless without weld pics ! :mrgreen:

very classy road machine.

philhul

by philhul

Can't wait to see the Feather bike!!

iamalex

by iamalex

Thanks Simonhi, I guess I'll have to get myself back down to Enigma and try them all out. The Echo still seems to represent some pretty good value too. The Lynskey R230 would appear a comparable frame but £500 more.

Make sure you put some shots of the Feather when it's done - that's sure to be a very special bike!

michel2

by michel2

not sure if im sold on the white tape and seatpost, but a very very nice bike none the less!

KB

by KB

It's a very long wait for one of Ricky Feather's frames. I enquired and was told 12 months, which usually means significantly longer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Simonhi

by Simonhi

KB wrote:It's a very long wait for one of Ricky Feather's frames. I enquired and was told 12 months, which usually means significantly longer.

I placed my order in March and was told December, going to enjoy building that one up.

The Engma has been updated recently, switched out the white bar, stem and post I favour of 3T Stealth stem and setback post and Rotundo bars with white Fizik microtex tape. The saddle is also now a Tune Kom Vor+.

In addition I have a set of Enve 6.7 tubulars laced to CK R45 silver hubs and silver CX ray spokes, will mount Veloflex Criterium.

I'll get some new pics up next weekend.