Giant TCR Advanced, made in netherlands?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Snabb

by Snabb

Hello everybody!

My 2012 TCR Advanced has a sticker that says it`s made in The Netherlands.
I thought that all Giants were made in asia somewhere. So what`s the deal?

Ride lots!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

maybe it's a cheap dutch copy. you know how those dutch like to rip off state-of-the-art asian frames. :wink:

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

I believe giant has a factory in the netherlands, but I am 99% sure that any carbon bike, especially a tcr adv or adv sl is made in their c-tech factory in taiwan.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Could it be that the frame is made in Taiwan and the bike assembled in The Netherlands.

bura

by bura

Sounds good.If the cooperation with the Dutch Rabobank team resulted in a Dutch production site, why not.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

Irish

by Irish

Valbrona has it in 1. In some countries is most of the labour of manufacturing or assembly is in that country then they qualify it as being built there. Thats the case with your

Giant.

JKolmo

by JKolmo

Entirely assembled in Taiwan and then some guy in the Netherlands has been breathing on it for a minute or two!? :wink:

89daytona

by 89daytona

They have many locations(6) I believe, one being there so it's not impossible
@racecarbrian

Gazelleer

by Gazelleer

Giant bicycles have an assembly plant in the Netherlands for over 20 years. It was their first location outside Taiwan. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Bicycles

bones

by bones

Made in the Neterlands only means that 50% of the assembly needs to be done in the Netherlands. So, a bike can be fully constructed and painted outside of the Netherlands, and if the bike parts are out on in the Netherlands, then the company can put a sticker on the bike that proclaims "Made in the Netherlands".

Italy has a similar law. At least, 95% of bike with the sticker "Made in Italy" were actually constructed and painted in China. That is why you see so many knock-offs on the Internet of Colnagos, Pinarellos, etc. all the construction and painting were done in China. Trek, Specialized, cannon dale do their painting mostly in the USA and laws for "Made in USA" are more stringent than other companies. So, there are less of those copycats.

Gazelleer

by Gazelleer

Actually, painting is one of the things they do in the Dutch plant, apart from assembly.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Irish wrote:Valbrona has it in 1. In some countries is most of the labour of manufacturing or assembly is in that country then they qualify it as being built there. Thats the case with your

Giant.

If that were to be true then it would have to apply for all EU countries.
From what I remember from back in the days when I had Law the actual percentage for such a claim is amazingly low. I can't recall the exact number (it's been over 35 years ago) but no more than 20% or thereabouts.

Anyhow, I think Giant cooperates (or perhaps past tense by now) in a R&D program Rabobank and the Dutch government set up some years ago.

That said, it could well be that that particular Giant has nothing to do with that altogether...

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Snabb

by Snabb

Thanks for all the answers and opinions.

I am gonna keep the sticker BTW :wink:
Ride lots!

notsoswift

by notsoswift

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

Irish wrote:Valbrona has it in 1. In some countries is most of the labour of manufacturing or assembly is in that country then they qualify it as being built there. Thats the case with your

Giant.

If that were to be true then it would have to apply for all EU countries.
From what I remember from back in the days when I had Law the actual percentage for such a claim is amazingly low. I can't recall the exact number (it's been over 35 years ago) but no more than 20% or thereabouts.

Anyhow, I think Giant cooperates (or perhaps past tense by now) in a R&D program Rabobank and the Dutch government set up some years ago.

That said, it could well be that that particular Giant has nothing to do with that altogether...

Ciao, ;)

It is not the "work" it is the percentage of "value", but the concept is the same

Antoine

by Antoine

to me a bike made in the Netherlands would rather be like this :
Attachments
20567 Orange Plus d - cherry blossom.ashx.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com