Velonews Aero Road Bike Testing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

karmaportrait

by karmaportrait

Coming up in the May issue - I don't have a subscription but curious to see what the results are.

They've put up some pics of the bikes they tested.

Stefano

by Stefano

Hi,

I read the comparo, but it's more of an overall bike comparison with aero weighting than a test for aero road bikes. Scott foil won by a large margin, followed by the venge, s5, then archon. More interestingly, the s5 out scored everything else in aero by a landslide, so if that is your main interest, cervelo keeps on dominating.

Hope this helps,

Stefano

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tanhalt

by tanhalt

karmaportrait wrote:Coming up in the May issue - I don't have a subscription but curious to see what the results are.

They've put up some pics of the bikes they tested.

How about: The aero results are about as expected (S5 is head and shoulders above the rest), but the "stiffness" measurements don't seem to correlate very well with the subjective riding impressions (does the test actually measure what they think it's measuring?)...not to mention being a bit contrary to their previous aero bike test...and as a result the overall rankings tend to be somewhat suspect :roll:

That's my take on it anyway (I get the digital edition and have read it already)...

cep111

by cep111

Tour magazine did an almost identical version of the Velo artical. Interesting enough the results were about the same on both, they just had different players. in that test the Felt and Kestrel were the aero winners but those 2 were not included in the velo tests. 20 watts seems to be the gain on the most aero frames according to both articles when compared to a fat tube crit type bike. Kestrel Talon was of course the worlds first aero road bike dating back over 10 years.

milkbaby

by milkbaby

cep111 wrote:Tour magazine did an almost identical version of the Velo artical. Interesting enough the results were about the same on both, they just had different players. in that test the Felt and Kestrel were the aero winners but those 2 were not included in the velo tests. 20 watts seems to be the gain on the most aero frames according to both articles when compared to a fat tube crit type bike. Kestrel Talon was of course the worlds first aero road bike dating back over 10 years.

20 watts... Amazingly, Castelli claims their Aero Race jersey saves 10 watts over a "regular" jersey. Kinda puts things in perspective? :noidea:

cep111

by cep111

Here is the Tour article in english It's slow to load btw so be patient.

http://www.tour-magazin.de/services/qtr ... 7.html#/24

tanhalt

by tanhalt

cep111 wrote:Tour magazine did an almost identical version of the Velo artical. Interesting enough the results were about the same on both, they just had different players. in that test the Felt and Kestrel were the aero winners but those 2 were not included in the velo tests. 20 watts seems to be the gain on the most aero frames according to both articles when compared to a fat tube crit type bike. Kestrel Talon was of course the worlds first aero road bike dating back over 10 years.

The Tour test used the S3, not the S5...oh, and the error bars on the drag data tells me that something about their dummy (the clothing, perhaps?) isn't very repeatable...

edit: Oops, my mistake...I was thinking of last year's test. They did do a test earlier this year including the S5...my comment about the error bars stands though.

cep111

by cep111

What I find funny about the Tour tests and reviews: They don't test the same sizes? Some are 54's, 56's, 58's......./....

This is all great data but of course use your own judgement.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

MMMM a discussion about aero! Fun. :popcorn:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

karmaportrait

by karmaportrait

prendrefeu wrote:MMMM a discussion about aero! Fun. :popcorn:

i know it's your favorite :mrgreen: i was personally just curious about the velosnooze view of things

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

cep111 wrote:Here is the Tour article in english It's slow to load btw so be patient.

http://www.tour-magazin.de/services/qtr ... 7.html#/24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That is really old by today's technology standards. There is no S5, Foil, Venge or several other brands that offer aero bikes now like Canyon, Boardman etc...etc...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Already being discussed in here

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=101287

please carry on in there. As this is a vain attempt to try and stop there being a million of these threads spread across WW.