Bar width - question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

G6612

by G6612

I am in the market for a new set of bars and I need to know what width bars I should get.
I have always just riden with what bars came on the bike when purchased. I measured my shoulder (boney part on top of shoulder to shoulder) It measured about 36CM looked to be a little narrow just wondering what width I should go with. Looking at 3T Ergonovas that measure c-c add 2cm that would put me at 38's. Does that sound right or should I go wider?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

elviento

by elviento

Sounds like 38 should be a good point to start. Some will say bar width is about opening up your chest to breath better, which is hardly true -- just hold a bar, and then move your hands outward by 1cm on each side and tell the difference.

Bar width is more about handling which is a result of multiple variables like stem length/angel, rake, head angle, crown height, riding style, etc. Plus you also get used to a certain width over time.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

notsoswift

by notsoswift

The trend in the Pro ranks is going narrower, be PRO!

On the track, in sprinting, if you look a guys like Hoy and Perkins they are huge units consuming a vast amount of air yet they and ride 38, while Sineau (sp?) looks like he is on a 42 and is probably a little smaller in frame
so really I agree with the above it is more about comfort for you than any formula. I see lots of people out there that seem too wide with their arms splayed, but it doesn't slow them down

Dov

by Dov

A lot of track guys are now riding bars as small as 340mm. Decreases frontal area apparently.
Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

notsoswift

by notsoswift

The info above was from an interview with Perkins in the current RIDE, he is about to try a 36

Track riders also need to worry about getting into small spots without hooking each other up, it is one thing to bump a shoulder but locking bars is never going to end well!

BobSantini

by BobSantini

Climbing with narrow bars is difficult. If you do any climbing then I'd guess 40 or even 42 might be better.
r o y g b i v

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

This is WW, so ride with smaller (lighter) bars!

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Be aware that Ergonovas are measured c-c at the end of the drops. The c-c at the hoods is ~2cm less.

I am fairly narrow but I wouldn't want to go below 39/40 cm c-c to be honest as it starts to feel a bit unstable out of the saddle. I'm currently riding 42cm Ergonovas.

G6612

by G6612

Thanks for all the replies, I went with 42CM.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Not sure how people get such narrow bars, my bike came with a 40 FSA which is more like 38 at the hoods, but always had some shoulder and neck pain, descent and out of saddle does not swing right. Until someone took a pic of me riding during a event you can see my shoulders are squeezed together for the tiny bars.

andrewleitch86

by andrewleitch86

I used to ride 44cm bars with quite a deep drop. I changed to 40cm Ergosums (38cm) t the holds and they've made a huge difference. Sure, there's not a huge amount on the tops for climbing but I don't have large hands so it's not an issue.

The only way you can really tell what's right for you is by trialing them. That's not really a realistic thing to do over a short period of time though.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?q55p4t

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com