Running 11 Speed Ergopower as 10 Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Has anyone had an 11 speed RH Ergolever modified to run as 10 speed? And exactly what Camapgnolo 10 speed rear mechs can you run a modified RH lever with - every Campag 10 speed rear mech that there has ever been? Thanks in advance for any helpful comments.

Campag make nice kit, but are utter crap when it comes to putting out meaningful and understandable product information. Really, the company is just not up to speed or not clever enough to get their after-sales care working well.

gmitt98

by gmitt98

If mods fail, you can try putting a 10s Shimano wheels on the bike with no mods to the 11s Campy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tommasini

by tommasini

Valbrona wrote:Has anyone had an 11 speed RH Ergolever modified to run as 10 speed? And exactly what Camapgnolo 10 speed rear mechs can you run a modified RH lever with - every Campag 10 speed rear mech that there has ever been? Thanks in advance for any helpful comments.

Campag make nice kit, but are utter crap when it comes to putting out meaningful and understandable product information. Really, the company is just not up to speed or not clever enough to get their after-sales care working well.

Based on the initial question followed by the remark below it, I sense unrealisitic expectations - buying something that is obviously made for one thing (11 speed) and expecting the manufacturer to offer many advice/solutions to work with other/older and much different (10 speed) systems. Shimano and SRAM are the same.

PJCM

by PJCM

Sounds like you can by using Centaur lever internals...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=60208

And also the other way around if you wanted to convert a 2009+ Centaur lever to 11 speed...

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index ... 87092.html

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

tommasini wrote:Shimano and SRAM are the same.

Something tells me you do not speak Campagnolo. Campag make levers that are meant to be modified so you can run them with different speed kit, Shimano/SRAM don't. Only they try and make it some dark art that us mere mortals cannot understand.

theremery

by theremery

Easy solution (and dirt cheap) is to use a JTEK. These little Alu rollers (with a bearing) have 2 slightly different diameter grooves so the cable leaves the roller at a slightly different rate than it went in. They'll have one for 10/11 by now, I'd imagine.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

theremery

by theremery

Link: http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm
You want a "model 2" (go about 1/2 way down the page).
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

Machinenoise

by Machinenoise

+1 on steal the internal from centaur!(http://www.bikeman.com/LD8520.html) chorus upwards have completely reworked internals compared to 10spd, would be messy to start machining parts.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Valbrona wrote:

Something tells me you do not speak Campagnolo. Campag make levers that are meant to be modified so you can run them with different speed kit, Shimano/SRAM don't. Only they try and make it some dark art that us mere mortals cannot understand.

Are meant to be modified? You must be joking.

Obviously you can't read a technical document as changing an 8S to 9S or 10S is relatively straightforward on the old Ergo Power.

Has anyone had an 11 speed RH Ergolever modified to run as 10 speed? And exactly what Camapgnolo 10 speed rear mechs can you run a modified RH lever with - every Campag 10 speed rear mech that there has ever been? Thanks in advance for any helpful comments.

Take the spec sheet of the Centaur 10S Ultrashift and compare it with an 11S. Spot the difference, order the appropriate parts and start replacing them. Even easier than on the older Ergos.

Campag make nice kit, but are utter crap when it comes to putting out meaningful and understandable product information. Really, the company is just not up to speed or not clever enough to get their after-sales care working well

Those docs are meant for LBSs and their technical staff not the general public. If you want to mess with your stuff that's your problem.
I don't see why Campagnolo should encourage it.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

tommasini

by tommasini

Valbrona wrote:

"Are meant to be modified"......who is your source for that?

Campagnolo, SRAM, Shimano want you to buy and use components intended for the current application. Their business model is not about how to piece together a series of obsolete, unrelated, or aftermarket parts to create something that potentially works half ass. Having said that, there can be a few such parts and combinations that could work - they all put out information on what is compatible with what - within their product line and within the same number of speeds.....thus to some extent I understand the original question - but please don't downplay the original manufacturer for not supporting such a mindset about making 11 speed work with 10 speed when it just is not going to be a viable business model for them to follow......whether it be C, S, or S. Go ask Shimano or SRAM how to shift 9 speed cogs with 10 speed levers - do you expect them to provide you with a work around answer to your satisfaction?

Possibly yes an 11 speed lever body could house 10 speed internals - if experianced with this WW's please chime in as the OP requested. But I don't and shouldn't expect Campagnolo (or SRAM or Shimano) to go into great detail on your behalf on how to convert internals when from what we have see now, you must buy a lever body with internals installed - no spare parts to be purchased of assorted internals like we've been used to in the past...

I stand by my prior post :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com