Need a cross fork with fender mounts

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

jwb96

by jwb96

My Ridley's fork does not have fender mounts or the brake hole. I use the bike for wet commuting so am looking for recommendations for a decent fork with mounts. Any good experiences? Would prefer to go all carbon and keep the weight down.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

crosschained

by crosschained

If you are looking for a new fork with fender mounts Whiskey Parts makes one that is a carbon steerer with aluminum dropouts. Whiskey is QBP's house brand and any lbs could get you one. What I did when putting fenders on my race bike was to use zip ties to hold the fenders on. Sure it is not the cleanest look but it is far less expensive then a new fork.

jwb96

by jwb96

Agree. The dropout mounts aren't anything I miss, but no brake hole makes it tough to keep the fender tight at the crown. My current zip-tie approach isn't cutting it.

crosschained

by crosschained

Give this a try. I drilled two holes in the fender both holes are in the center line of it and big enough to fit two medium zip ties in them one I drilled just in front of the fork and the other in back. I then ran both zip ties on the inside of the fender and out both of the holes so I could make two loops one for each leg of the fork. Put the fender in place and pull your zip ties and you are good to go. Hope this helps, I have used mine all winter like this.

SpeedyChix

by SpeedyChix

Bontrager Satellite Plus road forks, carbon legs, alu steerer and eyelets and bridge hole
http://bontrager.com/model/04036
adrenaline junkie

robin3mj

by robin3mj

I've got an Easton EC90x I've been meaning to get rid of...

jwb96

by jwb96

robin3mj wrote:I've got an Easton EC90x I've been meaning to get rid of...

Has the steerer been cut?

jwb96

by jwb96

crosschained wrote:Give this a try. I drilled two holes in the fender both holes are in the center line of it and big enough to fit two medium zip ties in them one I drilled just in front of the fork and the other in back. I then ran both zip ties on the inside of the fender and out both of the holes so I could make two loops one for each leg of the fork. Put the fender in place and pull your zip ties and you are good to go. Hope this helps, I have used mine all winter like this.

I'd been thinking of trying something like this, but was worried the holes might create a stress point from which the whole fender might crack. But it may be worth a try. Thanks!

Camilo

by Camilo

Very late to this discussion.

If you're looking for a carbon CX fork w/ carbon steer tube and fender mounts, check out the Kenesis Pure CX fork. It's usually available through Pro Bike Kit and I've also seen it on other GB online sellers.

That said, it's pretty easy to mount fenders on any fork (that has enough clearance) by using padded J clamps on the fork legs near the drop outs. They essentially create fender mounting holes down by the dropouts.

For attaching the fender near the fork crown or seat stay and chainstay bridges, if there's not a hole in the fork/frame there, you can easily zip tie the fender at those points using variations of techniques described above. I've seen other uses of J clamps at various locations too, but have never needed to use them. Drilling strategic holes in the fender and good zip ties have always worked and looked reasonably clean.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

crosschained wrote:Give this a try. I drilled two holes in the fender both holes are in the center line of it and big enough to fit two medium zip ties in them one I drilled just in front of the fork and the other in back. I then ran both zip ties on the inside of the fender and out both of the holes so I could make two loops one for each leg of the fork. Put the fender in place and pull your zip ties and you are good to go. Hope this helps, I have used mine all winter like this.

:thumbup:
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com