What can you tell me about this used Canyon?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

phourgenres

by phourgenres

I really want a stiff bike. I had my eyes set on a Storck, but I'm finding it hard to find one at a reasonable price. I know Canyon also has a great reputation for being stiff (and seem to be quite sought over in the US), so I was intrigued when I found a frameset used locally. It's a 2005 F10 Ultimate. Anyway, don't really know a lot about how this particular frameset handles compared to the rest of the Canyon line. I looked it up and apparently it only run 1300 euros new, or 999 with a race license (which seems kind of cheap). The seller wants 700, but I'm not sure if that is fair or whether I should offer lower.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

I had a 2006 one which was IIRC the same. Think its a great bike but at that time they were even stiffer than they are now. Also watch for the seatclamp as mine corroded away to sh!t, and I THINK the Canyon fork recall was only for 2006/7 bikes but probably a good idea to check with the owner when & if the fork was changed.
Depending on its condition I would say its not dated much, but still 700 for a 6 year old frame for me, personally, is high.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Murphs

by Murphs

From what I understand, Canyon started off with brutish stiffness and brought comfort in with each new frame iteration (or seatposts as they are doing now)

I wouldn't pay $700 for a 7 year old frame when they are as relatively cheap as they are new

phourgenres

by phourgenres

I always just figured I would have to pay more than the average resale value for a Storck or Canyon since they are harder to find. What do you think is fair?

Nevermind, I just saw you guys were in another country. I'm in the U.S, hence my above comment.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it!

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

You're prepared to pay more of a 'premium' for a 7 year old, used, frame?

Not quite adding up to me...

Guy

by Guy

Also check the rivetted front mech hanger.

Regardless of the availability of Canyon's in your country - the price is too high.

socratease

by socratease

I think the reason why canyons appear sought after in general is they tend to be nice for the price. Their scarcity in the US along with their good branding and "euro" image adds to their cachet here.

If you can get a new one for 1000 bucks and are prepared to pay 700 for a used one, I would suggest springing for a new one. If that's outside of your budget, go with something less expensive or newer: buying a used carbon frame when you don't know the seller has risks associated with it, especially a 7 year old carbon frame.

roncorleone

by roncorleone

for that year Canyon... i wouldn't pay more than 700.... that s based on the 2010 Ultimate i bought mint for around 800 few months ago....

it really depends on the condition... mine was a mint rich guys frame...

Ron

roncorleone

by roncorleone

if you can find someone in Europe to send it to you you can check out their closeout deals... and the dollar is pretty strong these days... its a great bike, stiff and solid...

phourgenres

by phourgenres

I put in an offer for 500. I hope he takes it, and I hope that still isn't too high.

There is another thread on here about getting a Canyon new, apparently it's quite hard unless you know someone in Europe or want to travel there. :(

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

There are other great, second hand, bikes in the world...

phourgenres

by phourgenres

Bought it for 500. Hopefully it's as stiff as their reputation. Thanks all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com