Lynskey R330 Build - Complete - photos starting on pg 4

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

nspace

by nspace

I am relatively new here but have been lurking for a while with the occasional post. This is my first documented build post here. I am not sure I would describe myself as true weight weenie because I usually never end picking up the absolute lightest parts and I usually give in to certain components I've wanted for a while, but I try to keep it within my means and the aesthetics looking sharp.

My first jump into road bikes was a few years ago with a complete Jamis Xenith Comp. I didn't like the bike much, it felt kinda lifeless, and uncomfy. Comparatively, I bought my first titanium mountain bike a couple years ago, and it somehow felt less disposable than my carbon bike and the ride was perfect. Not writing off or knocking carbon, but when I thought about a new bike it didn't get me all that excited. Ever since my MTB I've felt somewhat drawn to Titanium for whatever reason. I never felt that need to "replace" it in the same way I did with previous bikes, and so I wanted to replicate that with a new road bike.

I didn't want to kill my budget totally on a custom frame, and Lynskey seemed to fit the bill. I liked the idea of the slightly less aggressive geometry for long days in the saddle which their Sport frames seemed to offer. They fabricated my mountain bike frame (Ragley TD-1) which I've been very happy with, so this was an easy decision. The customer service has been great: I initially ordered an R230, but mid-way through the wait, they announced a short run of 20 R330's for 2012. The R330 was the frame I had originally wanted a while back, but it sort of went into retirement, so I settled on he R230. They were fortunately able to change my order and no less than a month earlier than anticipated, the R330 was welded up and shipped out.

An ongoing theme for my builds has been polished silver bits, so I've decided to stick with that for this one, for whatever reason it always seems to look classy to me. Still need to get a few more parts, but here is a quick summary of whats to come.

Frame: Lynskey R330 (Medium, Industrial Mill Finish) — 1487g
Fork: Enve Road 2.0 — 387g uncut minus 35g when cut
Headset: Tune Bobo (Silver, 1.125) — 77g
Topcap / Expander: Tune GumGum + top cap — 15g
Bars: 3T Ergonova Team (42cm, Stealth version) — 205g
Pedals: Speedplay Zero w/ Ward Ti spindles — 164g
Stem: Extralite Road Stem OC (100mm) — 83g
Cranks: Campagnolo Record 11 (Compact 50/34, 172.5) — 636g
Bottom Bracket Shell: Campagnolo Record 11 (English thread) — 45g
Levers: Campagnolo Record 11 Levers — 345g
Front derailleur: Campagnolo Record 11 (34.9 clamp on) — 89g
Rear derailleur: Campagnolo Record 11 — 176g
Cassette: Campagnolo Record 11 (11-25t) — 207g
Lock ring: Chris King 11t — 5g
Chain: Campagnolo Record 11 - haven't weighed
Brakes: Campagnolo Record 11 (dual pivot f+r)) — 310g
Tires: Veloflex Corsa 700x23c (black/black)— 199g/200g
Front hub: Chris King R45 — 103g
Rear hub: Chris King R45 Campagnolo - 226g
Spokes: Sapim CX Ray (2x lacing all around, silver, 52 spokes) — 239g
Rims: Stans Alpha340 (24f, 28r) — 345g/349g
Nipples: DT Swiss Alloy (12mm, silver, 52 nipples) — 15g
Rimtape: Stans Yellow tape — 20g
Skewers: Aerozine Ti road skewers — 41g
Seatpost clamp: Omni racer Ti clamp — 14g
Bar tape: Deda black cork — 40g uncut
Cable housing: Campagnolo — haven't weighed, but budgeting 230g
Saddle: Fizik Kurve Snake 224g
Seatpost: Fizik Cyrano Carbon 27.2 209g
Cages: King Ti Cages x 2 29g/30g
Tubes: Michelin Latex (waiting to arrive) 83g/85g

Estimated weight: 7.1kg, 15.6 lbs

Last edited by nspace on Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:31 pm, edited 6 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

quattrings

by quattrings

Why go for CK hubs over Campagnolo?

Otherwise, nice bike. Will be following the build.
Also more (close up) pics of the frame! :thumbup:

Timo

by Timo

Oehhhh, subscribed!
And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

BmanX

by BmanX

1300g wheelset that would be pretty strong by the looks of it. Well done. Can not wait to see this built up.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

nspace

by nspace

Thanks all! I am excited to see it all built up. My job has been very crazy for the last 3 months which has taken up all of my personal time, so this kind of marks the slowing down of things and return to form. Can't wait.

As for not going Campagnolo hubs; A few reasons. I really like Ck hubs, I really have a thing for polished hubs, and I love the ring drive. I have a set on my MTB and wanted to try a road set for the longest time. Campagnolo was an consideration until I saw that they released a CK campy option for 2012.

And also a reoccurring theme for me:

jsinclair

by jsinclair

This looks great! I have a somewhat similar build already, and i feel it gets better everytime i ride it.

I would suggest a titanium seatpost for this frame. You can get nice ones off ebay quite cheap and the finish matches the frame exactly. All you need is a titanium seat clamp and it gives a nice integrated look.

fio
in the industry

by fio

Very excited to see this built up. I love Campy on ti frames!

nspace

by nspace

jsinclair wrote:I would suggest a titanium seatpost for this frame. You can get nice ones off ebay quite cheap and the finish matches the frame exactly. All you need is a titanium seat clamp and it gives a nice integrated look.

Before I even considered the Enve, I really wanted a Ti seatpost to sort of blend in. I figure if the finish was off, I could use some scotchbrite and get it to match pretty closely. There was a bit of a mix up with pricing on my frame and Lynskey was kind enough to send me one of their Ti seatposts (hasn't arrived yet). I don't know too much about this post and I am undecided on the aesthetics of it.

Are there any in particular on Ebay that you would recommend? The one thing I need to keep in mind is that the Fizik Kurve saddle which I plan to use has the 7x9 rails, so if I am not mistaken, similar to the carbon rails it needs to be clamped from the top and bottom with enough support.

jsinclair

by jsinclair

I'll send you a pm with the eBay link. Of the types that are available, I think this is the best. It's quite cheap and not super heavy by ti post standards. Finish wise the post that lynskey send you will be the best match but they are all quite similar. You could always brush the post with the correct steel wool to match.

It looks really good on bigskyti's archon in the ti bike thread especially with the omni racer ti clamp because it is quite low profile.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14214&start=495

nspace

by nspace

Thanks jsinclair!

So my seatpost options are, cast your votes!
- Ebay Ti (J&L)
- Enve Carbon
- Lynskey Ti (already coming, but could sell, just not 100% sure I like the aesthetics of this post for some reason)

Anyone have any decent lightweight tube recommendations? Torn between latex and butyl. I had a mediocre experience on latex tubes in the past but I suspect much of that may be due to user error rather than the fault of the tube. Any particular models to look at? Michelin?

dummey

by dummey

I currently have one of the Ebay ones from J&L and it definitely looks nice when it's brushed to match the frame.

Aesthetically, it's prefect.

Functionally, I had to go through a couple tweaks to get the seat post to work correct and have actually just switched back to a Thomson because of the better adjustability and reliability on harsh roads. With the Ti post, I had to take a dremel to clean out the holes otherwise the 'crossbar' didn't like being put through there. I had to retap one of the 'wings' that grab onto the rails. I also had issues with the 'wings' not being a good fit for my oval rails (selle italia flite), though it was fine with the fizik saddles so I had to one again take a dremel to the tips of the 'wings' to get the shape right.

MeestahChow

by MeestahChow

As far as I know Michelin has stopped manufacturing latex tubes. Vittoria is still making latex.
I prefer latex over superlight butyl tubes which can have puncture issues. The ride quality seems better as well. YMMV

Ti Seatpost.jpg

Ti Seatpost 2.jpg

MeestahChow

by MeestahChow

Not sure if this is still current or if you need a 27.2mm:
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/bik/2890307591.html

nspace

by nspace

hey Alan! Thanks!

How did you find the first post? I have been looking at that one.

The second one you have, I haven't been able to find it the version with the subtle setback. Toronto Cycles stopped carrying it.
Whatever post I do settle on needs to be able to handle non-round rails.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nspace

by nspace

Added the Ward Ti spindles to the Speedplay pedals last night. Didn't even need to use heat, loctite came off with brute force since I had the pedals in a vice. I think I need to double check the torque on the spindle bolt, I am getting the feeling these pedals are fairly sensitive as to getting the torque just right. The weight savings were 54g over the original chromoly spindles.

I am sure these could get lower with lighter bowties.