Looking to build/buy a city bike

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

nrsnow

by nrsnow

I'm looking to buy, or build a city bike. I want something light weight. I was looking at Specialized Sirrus Limited ($2,000)(the frame is carbon), but its too expensive for something I'm not going to be riding a whole lot with, and plus the components are not that great. Then i started thinking that if I want carbon frame, I can buy a Asian carbon frame off Ebay and build a lightweight city bike myself for under $1000, of course with used parts. What do you guys think?

RollingGoat
Shop Wrench

by RollingGoat

Sounds like fun to me. Personally, I prefer aluminum or steel for riding in the city because it's less likely to get stolen.
I'm so rubbish at this.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

socratease

by socratease

The more basic alu sirruses ride really well.

The funnest city bikes I've ridden have been older steel frames with newer components put on. Depends on how much time you want to invest in the project, though, but there is something really pleasant about riding something like this:

http://belovedcycles.com/bikes/morton/

One of my project bikes is kind of similar, but with gears. Cost me virtually nothing to build (though I did have most of the parts).

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Mailorder carbon frameset should be a fair starting point, but I'd probably look out for a vintage steel road/track frame,.and build a 1x10 or single speed with affordable light parts. Depends on what you're after of course.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

A chap I ride with has mailorder CF MTB frame, it's not a true monocoque as it's glued tube and an overwrap, but it still comes in at under 1.25Kg and he really rates it after a years hard use.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956