brake pads for zipp 303's

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

Just got a set of 303's (thanks Giovanni!) wondering which brake pads to put on my bike

Dura ace brakes calipers with either Dura ace carbon pads or Kool stop?zipp pads.

I am in Colorado so long downhills- speed usually followed by a switchback.

Your thoughts Please

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

martin

by martin

nzkiwiguy wrote:Just got a set of 303's (thanks Giovanni!) wondering which brake pads to put on my bike

Dura ace brakes calipers with either Dura ace carbon pads or Kool stop?zipp pads.

I am in Colorado so long downhills- speed usually followed by a switchback.

i use the Shimano carbon pads and i really like them. My favourite riding area is the alps, especially in the dolomites - long descents there, too :wink:

Martin

mises

by mises

I got the Zipp pads and I didn't think they were going to be much different from Kool Stop black, but they do stay noticeably cooler in heavy braking. I use the Kool Stops on the rear where it doesn't matter to save some money.

I haven't tried the DA or Campy carbon pads. I am curious if they last any longer than the Zipps. The one downside with the "silica ceramic" (sandpaper) braking surface is it goes through pads pretty quick.

spaniardclimber

by spaniardclimber

I asked the same question to the people at reynolds as I just bought a cirro sv wheelset, this is the answer:

we don't recommend you use any of the pads on your list. The Zipp and Corima pads use cork and cork is a heat insulator where we want to have a heat conductor to pull heat away from the rim. The standard Campy pad will wear quickly. We recommend Kook Stop Green pads these have proven to be the best pad with our rims.

gholl

by gholl

By all means use the Zipp pads-I've tried every other pad imaginable and the Zipp pads are the way to go with Zipp wheels.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

has anyone tried the new bontrager carbon pads? I guess thats what teh postal riders rode in last years tour. Are they just rebranded pads from another manufacturer?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com