Orange FM028

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

geoff56

by geoff56

I guess this doesn't really qualify for this site, and probably never will given the frame, especially painted, but the inspiration (especially Sergio's Klein for the orange and black theme, not just the best looking bike I've seen on here but maybe best looking full stop http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=71005) and a lot of knowledge came from here so I'll post it anyway

The brief was a compact crank and reasonably light for when the hills tip up over 10%+ - I love my BMC SLX, it's a freight train on the flat and rolling hills but it's relatively heavy and 53/39 takes the fun out of steep. But 90kg and 183cm limits how weenie is sensible, not to mention the concept of paying $1,000 for something like Ax-Lightness brakes is beyond me. Also, some things just work for me (some people break a lot of spokes, I break seats and seatposts for some reason) so cost, being a fat bastard and personal preferences have meant some compromises but I was hoping for under 7kg

Dengfu FM028 frameset (the Madone knock off version)
SRAM Red crank (50/34), shifters and RD
SRAM Force FD
Ratio FD clamp
Dura Ace 11-25 cassette
KCNC C7 brakes (still not sure about these, torquing to spec meant they moved off centre some times, a little tighter has helped but might have consequences I guess)
Kool Stop salmon pads (always use these, and the colour matches)
Thomson Elite seatpost (fat arse needs bulletproof)
KCNC post clamp
Selle Italia SLR Carbonio saddle (doesn't look all that tough but I've had one on my other bike for a while without problems and can ride all day on it)
Ritchie WCS 260 stem
FSA Compressor Pro plug
Ritchey WCS EvoCurve bar (loving this one, the slight angle on the tops is perfect)
Lizardskins DSP Race tape (first time I've used this, I ride a lot without gloves and the tacky surface is nice, interested to see how long it lasts)
Dura Ace C24 CL wheels (just love these, reasonably light but bullet proof even for a fatso like me, do they ever go out of true?)
KCNC QR front, Shimano Dura Ace QR rear (ask me why a KCNC QR on the rear isn't such a good idea when you stand up on a steep hill, even when screwed down really tight)
Continental GP4000s tires (tempted by the Michelin Pro 3 orange versions currently on end-of-model run out specials everywhere but maybe too much orange?)
Continental Race Light tubes
Cables - SRAM Red standard
Shimano Ultegra SPD-SL carbon pedals (I know there are much lighter alternatives but I like SPD-SLs and am too old to change)
Bottle cages - cheap Chinese from Dengfu, don't expect them to last long

I'm happy with the way this has turned out, it rides fine and didn't cost all that much - the SRAM Red stuff was on end-of-model and the frameset was only $570 painted and delivered (in fact, I had about $600 of reward points on the credit card so was free sort of, that's what I told my wife anyway, didn't mention all the other bits ...)

Weight is about 6.8kg - more could be saved I think by cutting the bottom off the seat post, lighter bolts etc but this will do in the mean time

It gets a lot of looks and comments, especially on the orange (orange looks good on bikes, any illustrated dictionary should have a picture of Eddy Merckx in Molteni orange next to the definition of cyclist)

And the steep hills? Still hard, just go a bit faster. Oh well...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dcj9

by dcj9

can't think of anything i would want to change, bike looks great. way above what it cost to put together :thumbup:

ozdavo

by ozdavo

Love it! Great "real world" build.

LouisN

by LouisN

+2 points for non bare frame.
I love the orange :thumbup: .
There's an orange bike thread somewhere in here, throw yours in there...

Louis :)

jcconnox

by jcconnox

Solid.

Love it. 8)

Miller76

by Miller76

Love it... The build is great and I really enjoyed the write up and justification...

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

:welcome:

Awesome bike!! My dream bike is an orange anodized Spooky Havocstaff, so I can appreciate the orange!

:beerchug: :thumbup:

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Love it but a little black on the frame would go a long way.

Maybe something on the downtube and headtube, like this Crumpton:
http://www.crumptoncycles.com/corsa_m_carbon.html
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Excellent bike. Cost effective and functional. We'll all be wanting bikes with disc brakes in a couple of years so it is just as well not to spend zillions on a branded frame - the technology moves on very quickly.

I've got an FM028 (ISP version). DengFu is, I believe, just a re-seller. FM028's are made by the Shenzen-based composite company, Greatkeen, ie. a large OEM producer.

mcrdave

by mcrdave

Really nice build, I'm a chinese frame fan myself (FM015) and love the colour but it's crying out for some graphics, something to focus the eye on the frame. Top marks, just needs the finishing touch.

mcrdave

by mcrdave

This is mine by the way

geoff56

by geoff56

jmilliron wrote:Love it but a little black on the frame would go a long way.

I'm not sure, it looks like that Crumpton logo adds about $5,000 to the price compared with what I paid for mine...

seriously, I decided to keep it plain, I don't understand why bikes these days needs grafitti on every available space, especially when a lot of it is meaningless marketing nonsense. No one would buy a Ferrari if every panel had something written on it would they?

mcrdave

by mcrdave

I see what you mean geoff, i tried to come up with something meaningful to me - 'Nostrum' roughly translated means 'unknown quantity' which i felt buying an ebay frame kinda was.

jghall

by jghall

Works for me. Nice build.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WillT

by WillT

geoff56 wrote:
jmilliron wrote:Love it but a little black on the frame would go a long way.

I'm not sure, it looks like that Crumpton logo adds about $5,000 to the price compared with what I paid for mine...

seriously, I decided to keep it plain, I don't understand why bikes these days needs grafitti on every available space, especially when a lot of it is meaningless marketing nonsense. No one would buy a Ferrari if every panel had something written on it would they?

Totally agree with you there. The only time I usually like to see a name on the downtube of a bike is when it's from the framebuilder (i.e. handbuilt). The orange looks great, though! Does it have any flake in it?