Selle Italia SLR Superflow 145 vs. New Max SLR Gel Flow?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ScottGoBlue

by ScottGoBlue

I'm currently riding a Selle Italia SL XC flow (145 mm width). This saddle has been pretty good for me; however, when I get into an extended hard climb, I tend to get some extra pressure in the perineum (I assume this is because I'm "pulling" myself into the saddle harder?). Last year I moved from some cheaper shorts to some Sugoi RPM (S100 chamois) and that helped a lot. I'm training in the foothills/mountains harder now, so this has been more apparent.

The profiles of both the Selle Italia SLR Superflow 145 and the new Max SLR Gel Flow are very similar to my current saddle, but with a much larger cutout. I thought one of these may be worth a try. I took the images from Selle Italia's website and overlaid them; they both have a similar profile to my current SL XC flow, except the nose appears to be 7-10 mm shorter and, likewise, the back-end is slightly shorter.

Anyone have any experience with either? The Max SLR Gel Flow is pretty new, so online reviews are scant. Here are some of the pros/cons I've dug up...
Weight: SLR Superflow listed at 180-200 grams vs. 270 for the Max. Current saddle listed at 235 grams. I'd prefer to go lighter... :D
Price: Superflow can be found $280-300 (for the new black model) vs. $160ish for Max SLR.
Materials: Not sure which is better, from a padding and cover perspective? Superflow leather vs. Max SLR Lorica?

Thanks for any feedback!

Scott

critracer26

by critracer26

I own both the new superflow and i just recieved the Max SLR Gel Flow from wiggle. I loved the superflow at first but it was causing some extreme pain after 20 miles or so. THis review isnt helpful but i will be trying out the Max SLR Gel Flow on a long ride this weekend.

The Max SLR Gel Flow is extremely beefy looking in person, looks more like a commuter saddle which is what i will use it for if it doesnt work out for long rides.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ScottGoBlue

by ScottGoBlue

critracer26 wrote:I loved the superflow at first but it was causing some extreme pain after 20 miles or so.

Do you mind if I ask where it hurt? Sit bones or junk?

I thought maybe - if I try one -that I'd order it from Competitive Cyclist ... so I can test it for a bit and return if it doesn't work!

Also, I've debated testing a Romin EVO. That's a tougher one, however, as I can probably only get a weekend demo from my LBS.

Scott

critracer26

by critracer26

With the superflow there was no pressure just sit bone pain. I'm forever searching for the perfect saddle and always seem to go back to the Romin. I have the EVO and Standard but unfortunetly i got a bad EVO from spec that makes too many creaking sounds to deal with and i havent had time to swap it out.

I recently tried the Cobb road saddle and that thing was really bad, they give a 6 month refund and were really easy about the return.

Next seat i wanna try is the 2012 Prologo Nago Evo Plus TI 1.4 Saddle which doesnt have a real cutout but a nice recessed area but the recessed part looks a little narrow. I will also get from cc so i'm not stuck with it.

critracer26

by critracer26

competitivecyclist is charging too much for that saddle, Excelsports.com has them for $239.99, the return policy isnt the same but jut tape the rails they will take it back.

http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?pag ... 1&minor=18

Rokkala

by Rokkala

I also have both of these saddles. I've been through loads of different saddles but kept going back to the Selle Italia Max Flite Gel Flow.

This, for me, is very comfortable, but on very long rides I do end up with more perineal pressure than I'd like.

Have had the Superflow 145 for a few months now on my other bike and there is noticeably less pressure on the perineum, not an issue. It does put a lot more stress on the sit bones, from time to time I get a sharp pain at or around my left sitbone.

Not had a chance to ride the Max SLR yet, but it looks like it will give the best of both worlds.

NealH

by NealH

The Romin EVO is a nice saddle. No perfect but it seems to be the best compromise of all that I have tried (I've been through many but saddles are very preference oriented).

The slight elevated tail on the Romin creates a more comfortable perch when climbing imho. It offers just a touch of resistance to sliding back. It also slightly promotes a hip roll forward on the flats while providing adequate perennial relief. I got the 155 which is a size wider than the ass-o-meter called for but after trying the 143, the 155 seems to mitigate the direct sit bone pressure a little by spreading the load out. I have not problems with the wider wings chaffing. I have found that this saddle is sensitive to set-up.

You can always order one from Specialized on a 30-day trial if you can't find one at your local dealer. Its worth trying the Romin as the ergonomics is more butt friendly than typically flat saddles - imho.

Rokkala

by Rokkala

Tried a Romin but it chafed the buggery out of my thighs.

Frankie13

by Frankie13

I tried the Romin Pro 143mm for about 3month and it took me a while to find my sweet spot, but after that I liked the saddle and it took care of my Perennial issues from almost day one. The only issue I had was the front part of the saddle that was just a little to wide for me and created some shaving. I decided to change the Pro for the Romin Evo in 143mm and this one fits like a glove. It has a little more padding and the nose of the saddle is a little more narrow and it took care of the rubbing. The little bit extra padding is nice as well and just right but not to much. I didn't expect that much of a difference when I decided to give the Evo a try. I ordered another one for my new Canyon Ultimate CF build. By the way, I ordered directly from Specialized and it takes never more then two days to receive my order.

ScottGoBlue

by ScottGoBlue

Thanks everyone for the advice. I didn't know Specialized had a 30 day return policy for online orders. I'll check with my LBS to see if they can match that policy ... that seems like the way to go. Otherwise I'll just order online. 8)

I'll probably try a Selle Italia Max SLR Gel Flow and/or Romin EVO, followed last by the Superflow ... if necessary.

critracer26

by critracer26

I tried out the SLR Max gel flow over the weekend on a 35 mile windy ride and it's very comfy for sure, much more so than the superflow. Pressure wise i had none, but it will tale a few more rides to see if it will work for me.

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Can anyone comment on these saddles as compared to the Selle San Marco ASPide? That's been the best saddle for me, with a flat (from the side) profile but also a relief channel; I can't deal with the swoopy Fizik-style saddles that rotate my hips the wrong way. I liked my Toupe but it started to get swayback/hammocked, duplicating aforementioned problem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com