chain catcher for a Stevens frame?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

I just built up my new Stevens Team carbon cross bike and i am running it with a single ring up front, so i need a chain catcher. The problem is the seat tube tapers very large at the bottom...towards the BB. My DogFang catcher won't go low enough to work with the huge taper in the seat tube. Any ideas for a chain cathcer to work in this situation? I am aware that the k-Edge one might work, not really wanting to spend $60 plus dollars...looking for a cheaper solution....any suggestions?? Thanks!!
Attachments
$(KGrHqJ,!lYE6463mn5+BP!9G2fnLQ~~60_12.jpg
to go faster....just pedal harder!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

You could go the double bash guard route but there are also much lower cost K-Edge clones on Ebay (Rotor, Token, MTI). Just try a search for 'chain catcher' and you will get a large number of results for under $20.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

i did the ebay search....the problem is i need one that goes way low, all the ones like dogfang, third-eye watch, and the others don't go low enough to reach my chain properly. The K-edge XL single would probably be the only one that would go low enough to work...just wandering if anyone out there knew of one i am missing or something custom that might work...the pic i attached is the k-edge XL
Attachments
kedge.jpg

JBV

by JBV

You could run one of the K-Edge knockoffs (Rotor is like $27, "generic" is under $20) with a front derailleur adapter (the clamp you use when your frame has no braze-on).

Still, not to be repetitive, but double guards are both a cheaper and a more reliable solution in this instance. I'm not even sure there's any weight penalty.

jwb96

by jwb96

If I'm seeing the flare of the chainstays correctly, you're going to have a hard time finding anything that attaches to the seatpost that will work.

bluerider

by bluerider

I recently installed a K-Edge Cross Double XL chain catcher on my 2012 Blue Norcross EX. Its mounts on the high on the seat post tube and works great on the carbon frame. The results have been fantastic. Its hard to tell from your picture because its cut off where the clamp would mount. However, I think this might work for you.
2012 Blue Norcross EX, Size: ML

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

i actually broke down and spent $60 and bought a K-edge XL single. So i think i am good to go now!!

thewatchtech

by thewatchtech

How'd that rig rock the E/I trails today Pat? :D

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

pretty sweet other than the chain situation....which now will be corrected. Got a few strava KOM's..LOL

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thewatchtech

by thewatchtech

That'll give me some motivation out there!