FSA Slk bb30 clicking

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

marcho

by marcho

Hello, I'm a happy owner of Cannondale supersix 2010 bought from Germany. I'm doing mainly mountain climbs so '.m pushig hard on pedals and crankset. The trouble is a clickind sound which comes from bottom bracket. All the bearings greased...at last i took out the crankset without the pedals , tightened the arms and pushed it with hands. A click comes from where the axe joints the right crank arm. This crankset was replaced with a new one from the cannondale dealer. After a 1000 km the new cranset has the same click...what i'm doing wrong? I do not use tension meter when tighten the crankset, but aply similar presure on octalink cranks...without anu trouble. I use 2 plastic spacers on left side, the bottom bracket was set this way by Cannondale. Is there any Cannondale rider with same problem?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mentok

by mentok

could just be that the bb is a bit too loose, but more likely it's bearing play. this is an all-too-common bb30 problem. bb30 relies on tight manufacturing tolerances and if these are not met then there is movement, either between the spindle and the bearing inner face or the frame and the bearing outer face (the latter in my experience is more likely).

i recommend getting a hold of some loctite 609 retaining compound, pop out the existing bearings (with the correct tool of course), reinstall them (or some new one) with the retaining compound between the bearing outer face and the frame bb inner face. leave this to cure for 24 hours and then reinstall the cranks and hopefully your problems will be solved. This worked for me on my caad9 frame and i just repeat the process everytime i change the bearings.

marcho

by marcho

Thanks for the reply but When I take the crank out of the bike and push the arms with my hands it clicks! The sound comes from right crank arm .... I've tried with another bb30 crankset and it worked without any noises. So the bearings are O.K. The only suggestion i have is that i overtighten the crank and this debonds the axe from right crankarm. Is it possible to happen with 10cm. alen key?

ghostrider1tm

by ghostrider1tm

this problem is more common than ppl care to admit, especially if you can make some real power...only luck i've had is just taking everything part, cleaning all surfaces, then regreasing...but as stated above there is a chance you got bearings not perfectly sized

topflightpro

by topflightpro

If I understand you correctly, you say you can make the Right Arm click when it is not installed on the bike. Is that correct?

If that is the case, have you checked that the threaded pedal insert in the crank arm is not coming out?

marcho

by marcho

topflightpro wrote:If I understand you correctly, you say you can make the Right Arm click when it is not installed on the bike. Is that correct?

If that is the case, have you checked that the threaded pedal insert in the crank arm is not coming out?

That is the case. And i test it without pedals, so its not the insert. It is the axe into the right crankarm, but why this happens for second time?

marcho

by marcho

Is it possible to break the joint of the axe and right crankarm if you have 2 plastic shims and wave spring washer fully compresssed?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com