Bianchi - back on track or not ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

It seems there's not much info on here on the Bianchi Sempre. Colombia Coldeportes Team is riding one and I think it looks kinda cool. As far as I can tell, the 2011 came with a carbon fork with alloy steerer, where the 2012 comes with a full carbon fork. Anyone has any experiences riding one or opinions ?

I renamed this thread as I thought it's a interesting discussion.
Bianchi's seem not to be favored here that much, but (at least to me) their latest offerings seem good.
Also, considering the number of bikes they make in all price segments, they must still have something going for them.
Let's also not talk about italian bikes not being made in Italy, there are loads of top brands doing that.
I know there've been issues with their earlier carbon frames, but let's focus on the quality of their current lineup compared to what else is out there.
Last edited by strobbekoen on Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

crosschained

by crosschained

For 2012 the Sempre has a full carbon fork IF you buy the frameset. I believe the frameset has always come with a full carbon fork. If you buy the bike complete with the 105 groupo it comes with the alum/ carbon fork all other builds come with the full carbon. The bike rides really nice. I have ridden the complete 105 build, and it rode like a more expensive bike.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

Thanks for the reply.
I did see a 2011 frame with a alloy steerer fork.

superleggera

by superleggera

Bianchi has seen better days. Unless you are getting a great deal or really like celeste, there is no reason to buy a Bianchi.
Also, its an Italian bike, which means it probably weighs 300 grams more than claimed.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

I already have a Bianchi FG Lite, and the weight is pretty accurate.
Nice bike too :)
You could use your argument for many brands no ?
You are saying that they are bad compared to a Pina, Look, Time, Cervelo, Colnago etc.. ?

mgb21

by mgb21

I bought one a couple of months ago and absolutely love it. I got the 2011 ultegra model (preferred the look to the 2012) and i've never ridden anything like it. Comfortable on long rides but very stiff and it doesn't half go when you start putting some force through the pedals!

It has a carbon fork with alu steerer, so yes its about 200/250g heavier than the full carbon version but until i ride something considerably lighter I doubt I, or anyone else would really notice this. Listed weight is 8.4kg, mine weighs in at 8.35kg with pedals/computer/cage so I'd say their weights are pretty accurate.

Just need to decide what wheels to finish it off with now...!!

marko

by marko

Bianchi is in it's better days. They had their bad days with the SL2 and now their carbon frames are top notch. My 970g San Lorenzo won't die and my D2 cross frame is light and rock solid.

TimW

by TimW

superleggera wrote:Also, its an Italian bike, which means it probably weighs 300 grams more than claimed.

Bianchi is an Italian brand, they are not Italian bikes by any stretch (at least not in the last decade). Having said that I've enjoyed the two models I have owned, the sizing is also quite nice for me. I have not ridden this particular one. I think Bianchi have got their act together recently too, I wouldn't pay big money to own one but you can often pick up Bianchi bikes in a sale here in the UK.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

Renamed the thread, see first post.
:D

Getter

by Getter

I've been seeing more at club rides recently. I've always thought they looked cool.

I've always liked how they looked.

Pulled this image off Slam that Stem.

ticou

by ticou

Was very keen on their Infinito, I'm just a bit too heavy.

PJCM

by PJCM

I own 3 Bianchis. A 2005 928L, 2009 Mono-Q and a 2011 Super Pista.

The build quality is good and they all ride really well. The celeste colour always evokes mixed reactions but I like it and its connection with numerous cycling greats over many years.

Amongst the local cycling community here there is a lingering memory of a high incidence of frame failures 10 or so years ago but also an appreciation that technology has come so far since then with better performance and reliability in general across most brands on the market.

Bianchi's representation at Protour level has certainly diminished over the years and there are certainly other brands leading technology and with greater retail presence, but for me it is a brand with a lot of pedigree which are still great bikes to ride today.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

ticou wrote:Was very keen on their Infinito, I'm just a bit too heavy.

Does it have a weight limit?
I don't recall any major brands (non-boutique) having weight limits on their frames. Correct me if I'm incorrect, of course.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

mjduct

by mjduct

Not really weight weenie, but I've been lusting for one of these for a few years now:

ticou

by ticou

Weight limit; 15 stone for the nano tech and kevlar reinforced Infinito, 14 stone for the rest carbons

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com