Aero postion on the road, your take?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

HillRPete

by HillRPete

What do people think about riding in "aero" position when in the wind. It seems to make a real difference once you're used to it. Those who use it, are you specifically training for it, and if so, how?
boonen.jpg

(from http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/boonen- ... heldeprijs )

fa63

by fa63

I do it in certain situations, but I don't really find it any more effective than using my drops. With that said, I make a concentrated effort to use my drops a much as possible, but can't say the same about the Invisible Aerobar position; perhaps that is why.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Best left to the pros. A stone or a small pothole could easily knock you off.

Kastrup

by Kastrup

I try it once in a while. But as above, prefer the drops... I also try to make the drops feel more natural as it makes a great difference.
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Yes, well, the reason for my question is, I've been fixing my position and making an effort to ride a part of every outing in the drops. As this has become very natural, I'm pondering about whether I should go the next step. (I'll only be racing later in the season, one of which will be an ITT with a "regular roadbike" class).

Keep it coming!

pritchet74

by pritchet74

Hands on the hoods and dropping your elbows is more aero than being in the drops. That's the position that Cancellera used when he won Stage 1 of the Tour in London a few years ago. That position was developed in the wind tunnel that year with the Cervelo aerodynamacists. Faster than the drops. You just wouldn't want to sprint out of the saddle from that position.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I use that position when there are straight-sections of a course longer than a few km and I'm "at the front," regardless of most wind conditions. I have not found any issues of loss of stability. When the wind is gusty and inconsistent, I avoid that position.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

phourgenres

by phourgenres

I only use it when the headwind is really high, if I'm going 27+ where the aero would be more beneficial, or my legs are exhausted and I need a change in position.

I try to stay on my hoods as much as possible. I've been told that you should only be riding drops/aero less than 10 percent of time, otherwise the original "power" position you were fit for loses its effectiveness. For most of us, we have flexibility limits and when we're in the drops we are bending our torso more than it's comfortably used to, thereby causing hip-rocking and decreased stability. For the riders I see that use their drops more than 30% of the time, I would think they should get re-fit in a position more intermediary between the drops and hoods.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

If in this position: scoot yourself forward on your seat, spin. It's essentially a Tri position... and they certainly don't have power issues.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

airwise

by airwise

It's a remarkably comfortable position that I use a lot when riding in France - regardless of whether I want to be "aero". It allows me to stretch my back. I can easily take most corners and climb gentle gradients in that tuck. Over in the UK however I wouldn't even ride on the hoods for fear of hitting something and having an accident.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

pritchet74 wrote:Hands on the hoods and dropping your elbows is more aero than being in the drops. That's the position that Cancellera used when he won Stage 1 of the Tour in London a few years ago. That position was developed in the wind tunnel that year with the Cervelo aerodynamacists. Faster than the drops. You just wouldn't want to sprint out of the saddle from that position.
LMFAO!!! It dates back to at least the 70's
There was life before Fabian.

kavitator

by kavitator

that is it...drops suck! upper and elbows inside. And you go 60+ on flat

weeshuggy

by weeshuggy

It's a great position if you ride a time trial on your road bike to. Slightly more aero than being on the drops. However, last year I went through a phase of riding like that and although its a great position i did end up with massive bruises on my arms due to the road getting a little bumpy. Also i would't advise it in really windy weather.

if you want to practice for the position i would suggest riding a few tt's on that position before trying to ride like that at the front of a bunch or anything.

also if you have older extrnally routed shifter there really good for it, as they give you a little something to hold onto.

jdp211

by jdp211

airwise wrote: Over in the UK however I wouldn't even ride on the hoods for fear of hitting something and having an accident.

This makes no sense, why wouldn't you ride in the hoods?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

phourgenres

by phourgenres

Well, I gave it a try for long stretches on my ride today. Although I was only able to maintain 50w less than what I can on my hoods, I was still able to go 2mph faster!