My Chinese Carbon BUDGET (semi) WW build... Updated: BUILT!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ozdavo

by ozdavo

:welcome:

Long time lurker, thought I'd share my new project!

This is my first attempted WW build, with my goal set at a modest 7kg (15.4lb) incl pedals & cages.
I have come up with this figure as something that should be attainable with my limited budget, that will be solid enough as an everyday ride for my 88kg (194lb).

Now as a bit of background, I'm down in Australia and have been riding an alloy Avanti that comes in around 9.5kg as ridden with loaded saddle bag & cages etc, since I got the road bug in August 2011.

I recently picked up a clean skin carbon chinese frameset quite cheaply (AUD$300)

and when it arrive was quite pleasantly surprised to see a weight of 943.9gm

and the fork only 339gm

and the headset a mere 54.6gm!

After that is was slight dissapointment with the compression plug & top cap totalling 47.2gm

Anyway, I thought this was a good starting point to start putting together a spreadsheet to see what kind of weight I could expect with minimal outlay.

So, this is where I'm at:

You the Current Actual Build refers to parts I already have or have on order. Some of these are on my current bike, like the shifters & RD.
The weights in yellow are estimates or manufacturer claims, abd will be weighed once received or while transferring from my existing bike.
Weights in Red are items where I expect the actual weight to be less than estimated.
Options, list my proposed build to get below the 7kg.
Items in Blue are items yet to be ordered/decided on, and weights are targets.

The wheels, while not WW are a nice everyday wheel that are a reasonable weight that I picked up second hand for a very nice price.

The Current Actual Build owes me just over AUD$1300, and my current estimate has the Options Build at about AUD$1650

Feel free to make comments/recommendations (critical or favourable :roll: ), and I'll add further images & actual weights as I go.
Cheers

(ps excuse the poor photo's :wink: )
Last edited by ozdavo on Mon May 21, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Do something to personalise the frame. Some spray paint or something, too many 'project blacks' kicking around - give it some life!

The weight penalty will be worth it :wink:

Otherwise welcome and looking forward to the build.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ozdavo

by ozdavo

TP, your right there seem to be heaps of 'project blacks' around the interwebs, but up my way, I don't think I can remember seeing one in the flesh... so for this build, that is where I'm heading atm.

laager, that's good news. I leaning towards the Mega as it looks more comfortable than most the generic full carbon saddles.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Nice looking build! :beerchug:

You could lose some weight with a nice set of handbuilts......KinLin XR-200 or Stan's Alpha could drop 400g, and could be done pretty cheaply in the case of the KinLins.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I have the same frame (Figmo 900) - my build is hovering at 13lbs without even trying.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

ozdavo

by ozdavo

prendrefeu wrote:I have the same frame (Figmo 900) - my build is hovering at 13lbs without even trying.

Nice! Can I see your build list?

But, for the moment, I really am trying to keep my cost down!

Anyone know where I can get a 200gm bar (that wont snap!) at a good price?

NONAME
Shop Owner

by NONAME

Tires Duro Slikster 190 g - weight down, inner tube from Maxxis mvs system
Cables NIRO - 17G g/meter

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

Looks like a nice build. I've been considering a chinese carbon frame to build up as a 1x10 commuter

ozdavo

by ozdavo

Hey... sorry for the delay, has been fairly hectic lately (got married a little over a week ago) and this has been on the back burner...

Anyway, have gotten a good few parts together now and getting close to the actually building the thing!

Firstly my new seatpost & clamp arrived. Happy to see there were right on weight at 175g & 9.7g respectively.

I also picked a second Hand Zipp SL 44cm (out-out) bar that came in at a nice 173.2g

...and my new Full Carbon "Mega SQ1" Saddle (similiar to Token X-Wing TK952) is 115.7g

A new Force Braze on FD (85.4g without mounting bolt) & Token Cain catcher (6g with mounting bolt)

Cheap :wink: SRAM S550 Crankset & GXP BB came in at a combines 831.6g - just over the combined listed 830g...
though I thought this would have been the standard, a expected saving for the compact

Ultegra 6700 11-25 Cassette 226.6g

Deda Bar Tape - Complete, uncut, incl. tape, end caps etc. 46.5g

For cables, keeping with the cheap theme, I went for Transfil Flying Snakes.
- Gear Cable set complete uncut 110.5g

- Brake Cable set complete uncut 101.3g

Also here are my Blackburn Slick Race cages (claimed weight 23g each, actual 23.4g & 23.8g)

So my updated spreadsheet now look like this:

My actual build has now dropped below 7kg (without grease etc, I know :( ), & my optional build has dropped below 6.8!

Lastly (for today :wink: ) I also grabbed a Continental Seatpack Road incl. long valve tube & levers, whcih came in at 159.6g complete, but more importantly the empty saddle bag is only 31.4g!

I'll follow up again soon when I get the remaining parts, some carbon paste & start building!
Thanks for looking, and still welcome comments/suggestions.

ozdavo

by ozdavo

Finally found the time to get in an build this thing... I'll keep the commentary to a minimum and just show the pics!
Again comments/questions welcome.
Mid Build:

Near complete: Using temp stem & final cut of steerer still to come once fit is finalised. Also Bar tape not yet installed.
ImageImage

Final Build List:
- All costs are in AU$
- Built scale Weight (incl pedal & cages, without bartape) is 6.80kg (+/-20g), therefore approx 61 gram misc phantom Weight (air, grease, carbon paste, etc).
- With a new stem 120-130g, the steerer cut down & bartape installed i expect about or just under 6.8kg/15lb

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SDP

by SDP

bargain ..go & ride it like you stole it :)