HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:45 pm 

What do you guys think? I have a Cannondale superSix HiMod with campy record and super record 11 components, with quarq SI cranks. I am thinking about one of two options; upgrading to DI2 Dura ace, with the sprinter shifting (campy eps way too expensive) or switching out and getting an Andy Schleck model SL3 with the OSBB so I can use my SI quarq cranks? What do you guys think?

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:45 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:49 am 
Shop Wrench

Why are you upgrading?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:40 am 

i'd say go for the Di2 over the Specialized. An SL3 is a sideways move versus an upgrade or downgrade so if you want to run Di2 then definitely keep the SuperSix and upgrade it. The sprint shifters are nice! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:13 am 

RollingGoat wrote:
Why are you upgrading?

Others have told me that the sl3 is stiffer than the supersix.. otherwise, i love my supersix with the campy stuff. would love to hold out until the eps became more reasonably price, but was getting a great deal being offered to me on the DI2, dura-ace. So your recommendation would be to stay with the SuperSix?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:38 am 
Shop Wrench

Flynpenguin wrote:
RollingGoat wrote:
Why are you upgrading?

Others have told me that the sl3 is stiffer than the supersix.. otherwise, i love my supersix with the campy stuff. would love to hold out until the eps became more reasonably price, but was getting a great deal being offered to me on the DI2, dura-ace. So your recommendation would be to stay with the SuperSix?

Stiffer? Phooey. Based on what? You have to consider that a) it's doubtful that "others" have seen actual testing figures for both frames indicating that one is objectively stiffer than the other and b) even if one is stiffer, by how much? It's all about orders of magnitude. My road bike is loads stiffer than my commuter, but only slightly more so than my cross bike. Just being stiffer doesn't mean much. You'd be amazed how much of it is in your head. This I've learned doing the background research for a double blind study I'm planning to do on component stiffness vs. rider perception late in the summer.

At the end of the day, the difference between the two is probably minimal at best. If you like your supersix, then stick with it. Save the money for the next bike, or some super nice wheels, or a vacation or something.

There's this thing in engineering called "six sigma." The idea is that you try to design a product that meets the spec 99.99966% of the time. For companies outside of the medical industry, a lot of products are designed to meet "four sigma," which means it meets the spec 99.379% of the time. As I understand it the cycling industry works this way (for big companies at least) So the supersix and SL3 are both designed to meet the needs of 99.379% of all riders in terms of stiffness. Statistically speaking, unless you're a burly track sprinter putting out 2000 watts, you'll fit inside the four sigma. Which is a long way to say that in bikes of this level any difference in stiffness will probably be all in your head.

Last edited by RollingGoat on Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:23 pm 

Well said!! Never heard it explain as clearly as before.. It is greatly appreciated. Well i do have a good set of race wheels and Mexico is horrible to travel to at this point.. What do you think about the DI2 change?

RollingGoat wrote:
Flynpenguin wrote:
RollingGoat wrote:
Why are you upgrading?

Stiffer? Phooey. Based on what? You have to consider that a) it's doubtful that "others" have seen actual testing figures for both frames indicating that one is objectively stiffer than the other and b) even if one is stiffer, by how much? It's all about orders of magnitude. My road bike is loads stiffer than my commuter, but only slightly more so than my cross bike. Just being stiffer doesn't mean much. You'd be amazed how much of it is in your head. This I've learned doing the background research for a double blind study I'm planning to do on component stiffness vs. rider perception late in the summer.

At the end of the day, the difference between the two is probably minimal at best. If you like your supersix, then stick with it. Save the money for the next bike, or some super nice wheels, or a vacation or something.

There's this thing in engineering called "six sigma." The idea is that if you try to design a product that meets the spec 99.99966% of the time. For companies outside of the medical industry, a lot of products are designed to meet "four sigma," which means it meets the spec 99.379% of the time. As I understand it the cycling industry works this way (for big companies at least) So the supersix and SL3 are both designed to meet the needs of 99.379% of all riders in terms of stiffness. Statistically speaking, unless you're a burly track sprinter putting out 2000 watts, you'll fit inside the four sigma. Which is a long way to say that in bikes of this level any difference in stiffness will probably be all in your head.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:42 pm 
Shop Wrench

Well for Di2 it really just comes down to whether you like electronic shifting. Personally I don't so on my bike I wouldn't do the swap.

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:42 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:02 pm 

Wait for 11 speed Di2! The 10-speed cabling will be obsoleted, plus you get one more gear, more bragging rights, and at least 17% more sex appeal.