Gum's CRUMPTON UL 4.40kg, 9.70lbs

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

LionelB

by LionelB

News?

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Just waiting on a combo from BERK. His lightest to date...sort of a "test" combo. 121g for a 31.6 x 350mm :thumbup: I may be able to cut that down a little too :wink: Also it will be more level....front to back as opposed to how my current one is positioned.
That weight reduction will be counteracted by the increase weight in pedals though. :evil: I switched from the Aerolites to the Look Keo Blades. It's just easier to have one set of shoes with one set of cleats for both of my bikes. Plus I hated the Bont Vaypor shoes. I also didn't like the little bit of play in the Aerolite pedals. I could always feel them moving around under my cleat.

The Berk combo is in the mail, so we'll see how long it takes to arrive. I'll post some final pics when it arrives.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LionelB

by LionelB

More feedback on how the bike behaves ? it takes a few hundred miles to really know :D

gumgardner

by gumgardner

So far I'm really impressed with the feel of the bike. Obviously its super light, but it doesn't feel fragile and I'm not scared to ride it or ride it hard. It started out as being my nice weather bike, but I've had it out in the rain and find that it's my first choice on any day. The main difference I notice between it and the Ruegamer is the weight. Stiffness differences is not detectable and it handles better in corners. This could be attributed to the fit being better. :noidea: I've had a few issues with the setup, which stems from mixing and matching all of the lightest components. The Morpheus crank had to be sanded in order to get the inserts in. The shifting was shotty at first, but after working with it I got it working well. And, like I said earlier, I switched out the Aerolites for the Keo Blades. I look forward to the first ride with the Blades. I love those pedals. I'm sure I can get some weight off of them too :mrgreen:

playride

by playride

Cant wait for your latest update. But for me, the thought of having 8lbs bike is just insane, let alone owning one! :)

Your Ruegamer is already an inspiration for me, and now you re coming up with 8pounder Crumpton.. lots of money and time invested in those bike i believe.. hats off for u Mr Gum..

gumgardner

by gumgardner

The Morpheus crank is a piece of sh*t. I really like AX's products and have been happy with everything. The cranks are crap though. The pedal insert was a good idea, but in reality it just doesnt work (for me). I was getting too much play in it and I could feel it as I was riding. Also the inserts and washers are too thin and break easily. I broke two sets. I cant take it anymore, So I'm taking them off my bike and going with something a little more tried and true.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

gumgardner wrote:The Morpheus crank is a piece of sh*t. I really like AX's products and have been happy with everything. The cranks are crap though. The pedal insert was a good idea, but in reality it just doesnt work (for me). I was getting too much play in it and I could feel it as I was riding. Also the inserts and washers are too thin and break easily. I broke two sets. I cant take it anymore, So I'm taking them off my bike and going with something a little more tried and true.

I would contact AX...feed back, good or bad should always be welcome and may help to improve the product?

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Email sent to AX. I'll see what they say.

KWalker

by KWalker

Maybe this is a question for Nick, but I'm curious as to the impact strength of the tubes just in case a spare rock accidentally got kicked up into the frame or something.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

gumgardner

by gumgardner

I gave the frame a squeeze test and the tubes don't compress like some of the Scott or Cervelo frames that I've played with. I was told the titanium reinforcement in the frame helps with impact resistance.

I got an email back from AX from Dominik (he's very quick to answer emails). Apparently the earlier models of the Morpheus crank, which I have, had problems with the inserts not fitting into the crank. AX acknowledges this. I'm waiting to see if they'll do anything about it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Good news....AX-Lightness is going to replace the cranks for free. I did not expect that, based on others comments. I'm really impressed with how this was handled. :)

konky

by konky

Good news Gum. I have always found Ax to be reasonable and that if they really think there is a case to be answered, they'll answer it. They just don't deal very well with people who expect too much from thier products. Or expect thier stuff to behave the same way as ordinary heavier stuff. There was clearly a design fault with Morpheus marque one.

I can't wait to hear what you think of the newer Morpheus. Good luck with it.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

I have to decide whether I should go with the new Morpheus or use my THM Clavicula

jdp211

by jdp211

Why not use the THM's while waiting for the Morpheus to come in, assuming AX will replace it as yo mentioned before?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gumgardner

by gumgardner

My prototype test combo came in the mail today from Berk. 120g for the speedneedle shape (angled a slightly more level front to back) and 350mm. Really impressive work Berk! Beautiful weave.