Cervelo R3 > Canyon CF EVO?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Permon

by Permon

v70cat wrote:If the current R3 frame is in good shape why not spend some money on upgrading to Di2 or new wheels.

Or put the $4,000 +/- in savings so in another few years you will more money to spend on a new bike.

Yes, the frame is in great condition so far. I just wanted to make myself happy buying a new one:-)
I bought new Record group month ago, so no plans for a new group :-)
New wheels? Hm, I love my Hyperons so much that I would never ever change them for any other wheels :-)

Well, this topic just assured me that buying a new frame is not a good idea at this moment. I ll wait till next season.

Thank you guys! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

aharbutt wrote:Read a Gilbert interview from earlier this year where he said he was unhappy with the equipment at Lotto and liked the BMCs. (Pozzato interview last weekend in Cyclingnews.com where he also criticises the Focus and is happy with the Cippolini.)

A Pro rubbishing a previous brand and talking up the current one?

That's never happened before...

Pozatto, if you re-read the article, was unhappy with the way his bike was set up. Not that the Focus itself was poor. Also he didn't limit his complaints to the frame only.

As for the Cipo's, I spoke to a few of the Farnese Vini team members when I was racing against them and they weren't happy with the bikes, too stiff and hurt their behinds. Not that I was ever expect them to go telling something like that to the media.

It makes no sense, unless you're someone of Boonen's stature, for any Pro to slate the equipment they're presently on. You handle it with management. When you leave the team, then I suppose you can say what you like.

HakanC

by HakanC

kervelo wrote:Does anyone know if a comparison between Cervelo and Canyon aluminium frame (S1 and Ultimate Al) geometries is available somewhere?

The Cervelo S1 geometry is no longer available at http://cervelo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is Stack and Reach for some of the 2012 frames

/Håkan
SWEDEN

RWH

by RWH

HakanC wrote:The Cervelo S1 geometry is no longer available at http://cervelo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is Stack and Reach for some of the 2012 frames

/Håkan
SWEDEN

The S1 geometry can still be found on the Cervélo webpage. Just look under 2011 models. If not mistaken, the geometry of the S1-S2-S3 is identical.
Never give up, never say die.

djm

by djm

All I can say is my Ultimate AL is one of the best bikes I've ever ridden. The combination of a flexible seatpost, high quality carbon fork and an ultra stiff aluminium frame feels awesome on the road. Even when I've been forced to ride with cheaper Shimano training wheels the bike feels very good. I cannot imagine the carbon frame being any worse...

If I hadn't paid so much for my Aeroad and so little for the Ultimate AL frameset I might have confessed that the Ultimate feels a bit better. I have yet to perform a side by side comparison though.

That said the R3 is probably a very nice bike, I've only ridden the RS and that was an awesome bike too! :-)

Permon

by Permon

djm wrote:All I can say is my Ultimate AL is one of the best bikes I've ever ridden. The combination of a flexible seatpost, high quality carbon fork and an ultra stiff aluminium frame feels awesome on the road. Even when I've been forced to ride with cheaper Shimano training wheels the bike feels very good. I cannot imagine the carbon frame being any worse...

If I hadn't paid so much for my Aeroad and so little for the Ultimate AL frameset I might have confessed that the Ultimate feels a bit better. I have yet to perform a side by side comparison though.

That said the R3 is probably a very nice bike, I've only ridden the RS and that was an awesome bike too! :-)

Man, great builts! Both bikes looks really good! :thumbup:
Can I have 2 questions? What size are those frames and how tall are You?
I am sure You have not used Canyon size calculator :-) , becasue it seems to me like you are at least 2 sizes bellow their calculations:-)

eric

by eric

If your R3 is an older one with the 32.4mm seat post, using a shim and a 27.2mm post might improve the ride some. And drop a few grams. When I went from an early R3 to an 2009 R3SL I found the ride improved a noticeable amount, and I think it's due to the smaller diameter post (and possibly the seat tube too).

HakanC

by HakanC

RWH wrote:The S1 geometry can still be found on the Cervélo webpage. Just look under 2011 models. If not mistaken, the geometry of the S1-S2-S3 is identical.

If it is, I am not able to find it. At least I can't find it here:
http://cervelo.com/en_us/bikes/2011/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Permon

by Permon

eric wrote:If your R3 is an older one with the 32.4mm seat post, using a shim and a 27.2mm post might improve the ride some. And drop a few grams. When I went from an early R3 to an 2009 R3SL I found the ride improved a noticeable amount, and I think it's due to the smaller diameter post (and possibly the seat tube too).

Yes, I have the one with 32,4mm. Honestly, it is comfortable enought. Vittoria CX are so comfy that I do not need any improvement in this area.

madmole

by madmole

Cervelo S3 2011. Blinged 6.718 Kg

djm

by djm

Permon wrote:Man, great builts! Both bikes looks really good! :thumbup:
Can I have 2 questions? What size are those frames and how tall are You?
I am sure You have not used Canyon size calculator :-) , becasue it seems to me like you are at least 2 sizes bellow their calculations:-)

Thanks! :-)

Both are size L/58. With the Aeroad it is a bit of a stretch considering I have extended the seat post beyond the recommended minimum insertion. On the Ultimate AL however there's plenty of post.

I didn't pay much attention to the Canyon calculator from the moment it recommended me a bigger frame than I was already on - and that frame was way, way too large for me :-) Frame size is a matter of taste too though. I would probably fit pretty nicely on an XL/60 aswell. My inseam is 94 cm and I'm 190cm tall.

Also as record notes, there will probably be a new Ultimate CF on the market come Eurobike, one with internal cables

cakelover

by cakelover

This is what they sent me when I requested the differences between the CF and SLX

The key differentiators of the Ultimate CF SLX frame are as follows:

* It uses a higher quality pre-impregnated carbon fiber
* The layup of the carbon fiber is optimised for stiffness – the frame is 15% stiffer than the Ultimate CF
* Semi-integral tube to tube and monocoque leads to better tube surface quality
* The Ultimate CF SLX also has lighter and more impact resistant paintwork

micky

by micky

I owned both CF and SLX (there are already topics on the subject) and couldn't feel that 15% difference, which sounds like a lot.
As for the weight gain, it was 50gramms in my case.

parajba

by parajba

What Ultimate CF EVO frame size and stem length would be the closest match to a Cervelo S2 size 54 with 120mm stem...?