Triathletes vs. Cyclists

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2012/04 ... enge_50821

I kinda dig the idea, but the focus of this was supposed to be Armstrong. There are some very big names and it could turn out to be a very interesting event.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

c50jim

by c50jim

Remember that Armstrong started out as a triathlete. When I was doing those things back in the late 80s, I'd read about this 15 year old kid who could pretty well stick with the best pros, although I don't remember him actually winning any tris before he switched to the road. This could have been interesting if he had time to get into full tri fitness.

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

How funny that you mention that

I'm currently racing with CalTri and there's this 15 year old kid who podiums every event he enters. I guess the timeless rule is that there's always gonna be some 15 year old kid who's beastier than you will ever be.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

c50jim wrote:Remember that Armstrong started out as a triathlete. When I was doing those things back in the late 80s, I'd read about this 15 year old kid who could pretty well stick with the best pros, although I don't remember him actually winning any tris before he switched to the road. This could have been interesting if he had time to get into full tri fitness.

In the 1987–1988 Tri-Fed/Texas ("Tri-Fed" was the former name of USA Triathlon), Armstrong was the number one ranked triathlete in the 19-and-under group; second place was Chann McRae, who became a US Postal Service cycling teammate and the 2002 USPRO national champion. Armstrong's points total for 1987 as an amateur was better than the five professionals ranked that year. At 16, Armstrong became a professional triathlete and became national sprint-course triathlon champion in 1989 and 1990 at 18 and 19, respectively.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

mjduct

by mjduct

Interesting article, the thing that alot of folks don't realize is that Triatheletes although they probably endure more in a single event, they rarely compete at their highest level for days on end...

Richyo

by Richyo

Interesting to see which rules are set in place(UCI vs Tri equipment rules)?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com