39 x 25T

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Does anyone use this chainring and cassette combo?

I found it difficult to climb when grades exceed 12%, maybe it's a technique thing, the grade pitches up to 16% and it was pure torture. I was going so slow and was fairly sure it went faster with a compact.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

16% on that sounds like torture indeed. Around here most people are running 34x27 to cope with those gradients up to 20%. Also it's nice to spin uphill, at least in training :D

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

A. You need some fitness build up so get fit on the 10% or less grades first
B. Here is a gear calculator to help you determine the best gear vs rpm vs speed http://www.gear-calculator.com/#
C. Good luck!
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

hansonator69

by hansonator69

I run 39x23. :wink:
Slam your stem.

wingguy

by wingguy

PoorCyclist wrote:Does anyone use this chainring and cassette combo?

I found it difficult to climb when grades exceed 12%, maybe it's a technique thing, the grade pitches up to 16% and it was pure torture. I was going so slow and was fairly sure it went faster with a compact.

It's not technique, it's just a big gear. I use a 39x25 in an area with quite a few climbs peaking at 20 - 25%, loads peaking at +15% and a few that average 10%+. Quite frankly though, it's not big and it's not clever, it just makes it a damn sight harder and slower overall than it should be! I can't be bothered to spend any more on this one, but my next bike will have different ratios.

eric

by eric

We are lucky to have a lot of big and/or steep climbs in California. Get a compact if you want to enjoy them. You can shift to a higher gear if it doesn't hurt enough.

Gregorio

by Gregorio

That is what I use. I like to climb. There are some 20+% grades around here but they are relatively short. 1/3 of a mile or so.

ticou

by ticou

I can climb a short 12% on the 50, but it better be short! I love my compact, and one day I'l use my 34/29, i just knows it.

What was that Village People song? Macho macho maaaan, I wanna beee, a macho man

rustychain

by rustychain

You will be able to climb faster with less fatique using proper climbing gears. Using to steep a gear will just kill your legs. I have a road I climb several times a year, after a increasing grade for the first five miles you hit a sustained grade of 20 percent for two miles with it hitting 24 percent for about a half mile of that and the piss poor road surface just makes it harder. I have done it with a 39x25 and frankly it killed me. My best time was with a 34x29 and I had the legs to climb over the pass three more times that day (118 miles total miles that day). I have found a 12x29 with a 52x36 chainring a great choice for most big climb days. On flats or rollers I do like a 11x23 with a 52x36, not bad but I need to be able to spin a bit faster in a sprint. Look at the gearing in the Giro mountain stages, climbing gears rule!
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

Gregorio

by Gregorio

Rusty...that hill sounds awesome. Must be a strava segment. Compact sounds like a good choice for that one. Where is that?

ticou

by ticou

rustychain wrote:You will be able to climb faster with less fatique using proper climbing gears. Using to steep a gear will just kill your legs. I have a road I climb several times a year, after a increasing grade for the first five miles you hit a sustained grade of 20 percent for two miles with it hitting 24 percent for about a half mile of that and the piss poor road surface just makes it harder. I have done it with a 39x25 and frankly it killed me. My best time was with a 34x29 and I had the legs to climb over the pass three more times that day (118 miles total miles that day). I have found a 12x29 with a 52x36 chainring a great choice for most big climb days. On flats or rollers I do like a 11x23 with a 52x36, not bad but I need to be able to spin a bit faster in a sprint. Look at the gearing in the Giro mountain stages, climbing gears rule!

Thanks for that; nothing like 24% round my neck of the woods sadly, but nice also to know that the 29 can cope if ever called upon.

slyboots

by slyboots

Just a small reality check. ;)

Here is how Pros ride up Angliru, where the steepest 6 km (less than 4 miles) average a whooping 13,1%:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulViOm2P ... ure=relmfu

And gearing they used:
Juanjo Cobo rode 34×32
Nibali 34×29
Kessiakoff 34×28
Fuglsang and Mollema 36×28
Bradley Wiggins and Chris Froome 38×32 asymmetrical front chain

Of course our own WW members, who regularly conquer multi-mile 20% climbs, would have flown up that Spanish hill...

wingguy

by wingguy

rustychain wrote:I have a road I climb several times a year, after a increasing grade for the first five miles you hit a sustained grade of 20 percent for two miles with it hitting 24 percent for about a half mile of that and the piss poor road surface just makes it harder.

What is the total elevation gain of the climb, and can you post a graph from one of the mapping sites?

For comparison, this is Monte Zoncolan.

ticou

by ticou

You would have thunk Bradder's and Froome's DS would have made the mild suggestion to actually recce the most crucial, race deciding climb ahead of last years Vuelta....

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Some interesting roads here I found,

http://www.toughascent.com/blog/?p=224

It's no Zoncolan but I felt a little out of breath as I scrolled down the page,
I would like to try (not on the Standard though!!!) but I just don't want to descent it, would like a "team" car to SAG me down after the climb.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com