SRM vs 2013 Sram "red" Quarq

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Figured I would get the conversation started to see if anyone has seen the new Quarqs yet or heard much about them?

More or less wondering if they have begun to come a bit more in line with the reliability of yee ol' SRM.

I know a couple are out in the wild but I have yet to see any turn up on teams across the pond or what have you.
Just ride ..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boots2000

by boots2000

Too bad it is a Quarq and not a SRAM Red SRM.
Having to use a Garmin is a big downgrade IMO.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Unfortunately - I agree with you there ... I think the crank from what I am told is a nice step up but that head unit is still errrr ... not quite the refined unit the pc7 is.
Just ride ..

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

The Quarqs work with a PC7 if you order them with the "German Achievement Mode" turned on.

I'm still waiting for the Qalvin Android App, actually, I should go check again.

The doubts I have about the crank are all more SRAM related, than Quarq. AFAIK only Red chainrings will fit, the spacing is different, there's no word about what sizes they'll have, stuff like that. And it's not like I don't think SRAM make a nice crank, but buying a pm without ever having seen the crank it's based on would make me a little nervous, nevertheless.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

You can use a PC-7 with a quarq I think.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

I like it - german achievement mode lol ...

Yes the two work just fine together though. But that's not the point ;)

Agreed with the SRAM issues. They seem to have err production issues at times and are working pretty hard to get things straightened out. Technically the Red Quarq was due out ... yesterday ... if you were to believe the mumbled release dates. With later this month and next slated for the variations of the crank sizes rolling out.

I am very curious though more or less about reliability and accuracy. The crank itself does seem to be a nice improvement albeit one that may not allow for third party chainrings etc. but that's not confirmed that I know of.
Just ride ..

itsacarr

by itsacarr

I take that back .... it seems aftermarket chainrings will work fine with it. They just have one bolt that goes directly into the crank arm so they only have to use 4 spider arms instead of 5.
Just ride ..

mrfish

by mrfish

Yes, so the pin for the crank arm will be in the wrong place unless you use Campag record rings.

I'd wait until you see the review on DC Rainmaker - pending in a couple of weeks. By then it might be 'summer' and Garmin might have their wonder-pedal out. Until then I'm seriously contemplating anti-weenie Dura Ace SPDs and a Power2max, or I would if I heard anything positive about temperature sensitivity. And I need a new car, so no SRM for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

And we don't know how the different chainrings would work with the Quarq again. They have this "Calfree" feature or whatever it's called where you can change around chainrings without needing to recalibrate, but since officially only Red chainrings work, I don't know what's gonna happen with aftermarket chainrings. Supposedly the changes were in the body of the pm, but who knows if they didn't optimize it towards some spec of the Red chainrings.

I'm not assuming it doesn't work well, but before I commit to something expensive, I want to know for sure.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.