Help with removal of pins rear 7700 derailler

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

edseb

by edseb

Hi everyone. I've seen some mods done to the Shimano 7700 and 7800 rear deraillier, and one of the steps is to disassemble the entire piece. I got most done, but the hinge pins that are captured are a bit tricky and all the mods no one explains how to do this. The first photo is mine and the other is a mod posted online.
Attachments
pin in.jpg
pins.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

edseb

by edseb

No mechanics here? ha ha, :noidea:

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

My guess would be that you hammer them out with an appropriate sized punch. But I'd wait for advice from someone who has done it...

I recall seeing a tuned one where the pins had circlips on the ends.

fallen86

by fallen86

I never understand how people are able to cleanly remove these one way pins. more annoyingly, they never tell how they did it! My only guess (and i thought about doing this) is to drill a small hole on the opposite side to enable a small punch to go in and knock it out. I took the pins off of my Sram force Rd but the difference is those pins had (hats?) or ends to them that can be pried out with a wedge tool.

edseb

by edseb

Yeah, I racking my brain trying to figure it out. May just drill out the other side and c-clip it in in the future or something. No one shows how. :roll:

veganeric

by veganeric

Perhaps you could drill and tap a hole in the end of the pin. Then use a screw and some washers to extract them. :noidea:

Stockie

by Stockie

fallen86 wrote:I never understand how people are able to cleanly remove these one way pins. more annoyingly, they never tell how they did it! My only guess (and i thought about doing this) is to drill a small hole on the opposite side to enable a small punch to go in and knock it out. I took the pins off of my Sram force Rd but the difference is those pins had (hats?) or ends to them that can be pried out with a wedge tool.

I'm also looking to remove the pins of my Force RD. Could you give some more information how you got them out?
I Will make the leap

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Same question here. Help us out. PLEASE

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stockie

by Stockie

I got mine out of the force derailleur.
The ones that link the plastic P-knuckle to the magnesium link of the parallelogram can be pulled out quite easily: just pry a little screwdriver onder it. It will damage the aluminium and magnesium a bit, but you can sand it down afterwards.
The 2 other pins are soldered, so they can't be pulled out. But if you drill in the whole where they are soldered, you can pull them out fairly easily. I will post a picture of this later.
I Will make the leap