Broken rearstay on Litespeed Vortex Compact 2006

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

geca

by geca

Hi Guys. I need some expert opinion :idea: on what to do with my broken rearstay on my Litespeed 6AL/4V titanium frame.

I was out on a recreational ride the other day when i suddenly noticed that something was wrong. I thougt the axel in my rearhup was broken but discovered that my rearstay was broken in front of the geardrop.

The bicycle has never been used for racing and has during the last 5 years only been used for recreational riding and has never been involved in any crash. It looks like new.
I only weigh 67 kg. (148 pound) The bike has been used for about 25.000 km. (15.000 miles) and is only one of my 4 bikes.

I think that the break comes from metal fattigue and now to my question about the warranty.
When i bougth the framekit it came with at Liftetime Warranty to the original owner (Me :cry: ).

Will it be acceptable if Litespeed only offer me a welding, which I think will be difficult because the break is on the edge of the screwhole to the geardrop and the material at this point is very thin?
Or shall I claim for a new frame? I know the do not make them anymore - but I guess they could come up with something.

Please give me your expert opinions :?:

Thx.

My Bikes:
Litespeed Vortex Compact (Injured)
Colnago C59
Scott Scale 10
Shark Track bike
Attachments
Broken rearstay - please notice that the break is on the edge of srewhole to the geardop
Broken rearstay - please notice that the break is on the edge of srewhole to the geardop

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Whoa. That is unfortunate.

I guess the first stage is to get in touch with Litespeed and see what exactly they intend to offer you?

I suspect that they will end up offering you a new frame?
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

12x23

by 12x23

I bought a new Vortex in 2003 and later developed a tear originating in the lower of the two bottle mounts on the downtube. Litespeed rep said since it only involved one tube they would cut out the downtube and weld in a new one. They did so and a few months later I was out and a break developed in the seattube/bottom bracket/downtube area. The tear went through the weld and ripped into the downtube. Since it involved more than one tube, at least that's why I'm thinking the elected to do so, Litespeed replaced it with a new 2005 Vortex frameset without a blink. From my experiences, I think you'll be satisfied.

theremery

by theremery

They have a decent reputation and it just looks like a drop-out replacement to me. Ti re-welds OK from what I remember so I'd imagine they'll just do the drop-out and it should be good as new. Ultimately, though, isn't it just better to get hold of them and have a nice frank chat?
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

elviento

by elviento

They will probably weld you a new dropout, rather than welding TWO BROKEN PIECES OF A DROPOUT BACK INTO ONE. Seems quite easily doable.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

geca

by geca

theremery wrote:They have a decent reputation and it just looks like a drop-out replacement to me. Ti re-welds OK from what I remember so I'd imagine they'll just do the drop-out and it should be good as new. Ultimately, though, isn't it just better to get hold of them and have a nice frank chat?

Off Course I am interested in a nice "frank chat". I just want to be guided if somebody had any experiences in similar failures. Thx. :beerchug:

mjduct

by mjduct

geca wrote:
theremery wrote:They have a decent reputation and it just looks like a drop-out replacement to me. Ti re-welds OK from what I remember so I'd imagine they'll just do the drop-out and it should be good as new. Ultimately, though, isn't it just better to get hold of them and have a nice frank chat?

Off Course I am interested in a nice "frank chat". I just want to be guided if somebody had any experiences in similar failures. Thx. :beerchug:

A good welder can make something stronger than it originally was at the same dimensions/ visual attractiveness with some post weld cleanup. I wouldn't worry about it if they offered to weld it up for you.

solarider

by solarider

Most warranties state that they will repair or replace at their will.

Depends on where you are. If the 2 way postage proves expensive, they will probably just replace the frame. If it is economical to do so, they will repair.

I have had ti repaired in the past to a very satisfactory standard. On the other hand, their reputation suggests that if you push politely and hard from the start, they will send you a new one. Given the age of your frame, the availability of a spare dropout to effect the repair might also count in your favour to have a new frame.

Be polite, be firm, state what outcome you want up front, mention how your confidence in the frame has disappeared, and leave the rest to them. They do have a good reputation for dealing with these things.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I'm very interested to hear how this goes. I've read stories about Litespeed and frame repair/warranty, etc and none of them have been good. I hope it goes well for you- maybe all that bashing will have forced a change in their attitude.
Speedplay is the devil!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rodrego Hernandez

by Rodrego Hernandez

mdeth1313 wrote:I'm very interested to hear how this goes. I've read stories about Litespeed and frame repair/warranty, etc and none of them have been good. I hope it goes well for you- maybe all that bashing will have forced a change in their attitude.

Same here. Have heard of 2 warranty issues, both took a long time, got fairly messy and ended up with 2 long time litespeed buyers who will never touch the brand again.