Wheels advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

astranoc

by astranoc

I am trying to build a light (budget light) set of wheels for my upcoming 5day trip in the Pyrenees and I am contemplating between carbon clinchers or alu. Actually I am between the Gigantex carbon clinchers 20mm rims, the Stans ZTR Alpha and the velocity A23. I already have some Token TK520TBT carbon hubs 20/24 that the rims will be built on. I currently am 165lbs.

Opinions? Or any other possible rims that I could go with?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

"Cheap", "Carbon" and "Clinchers" don't go together very well, especially when you're primarily targeting climbing. While you'd probably be ok, personally I'd rather be safe than sorry. Anyway you have the hubs already, but 20/24 at your (and mine too ...) weight doesn't give you a lot of safety margin. I'd probably go for at least 24/28 also to have a stiffer front wheel when braking hard into a switchback. (Also I'm generally the guy who doesn't bring the most weenie parts on a trip.)

So if you're set on your hubs, I'd use A23 or Kinlin 270 rims for a clincher wheel that's going to get lots of vertical.

Phill P

by Phill P

Stan's rims won't behave nicely on 20/24 hubs.

If you want to go light weight how about some HED rims?

If you don't want wide rims then the XR270s will do you ok.

As was mentioned-shallow CF clinchers......pass on that thanks
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

astranoc

by astranoc

Thanks, I thought as much about the gigantex.

While I have the hubs and it would be great if I could use them (they were initially bought for another pair of wheels that didn't happen), if the build doesn't work out with those I can always sell them and get something else as they are unused. While ascend is one thing and stiffness is important, I have to consider the never ending descends as well. How much Hed Ardennes rims go these days?

If I am not tied to these hubs, what would you go for?

brycerider

by brycerider

Depends on your budget. For something light but durable the tune mig70 and mag170 would be good. Cheaper, a little heavier but good quality then dt240 would be good. For a set to hand down to your grandchildren then Chris King classic road would be good.

Sent from my ME860 using Tapatalk
N+1 It Never Stops

astranoc

by astranoc

Budget is around 250$(±30$) for hubs. (pricing the same as the token hubs).

How about the Stans with 24/28 Bikehubstore superlight hubs? Should be light but I don't know the durability of those hubs.

Phill P

by Phill P

jump in the wheel building thread for ideas.
for most things WW go to fair wheel cycles. They have the hed rims, but if you want the stan's and hubs with more spokes I'm sure they will help out.
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

astranoc

by astranoc

Thank you, I am trying to follow the wheel building thread but the information is overwhelming!

I am based in europe so fwc wouldn't be much of a help.

The only reason I am thinking for Stans instead of the Hed is the weight, it's going to be around 200gr less on them.

mjduct

by mjduct

why the A23? if your worried about weight you can go lighter with the aerohead? the A23's come in about 50 grams more than advertised

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

Phill P wrote:Stan's rims won't behave nicely on 20/24 hubs.

Really? My 18f and 24r are fine (170 lbs). Did a long switchback descent on them yesterday...

astranoc

by astranoc

Can't afford these hubs, but their weight is sweet for an alu clincher.

Why people think a 20/24 build on Stans won't work? They won't be stiff enough or something else? Just to give you an idea I am now riding a set of Zondas for the past 3 years and I find them good enough in terms of stiffness.

MrMojo

by MrMojo

I've got Tune Mig70 & Mag170 hubs on Stans Alpha 340 Rims, 20/28 and Sapim CX-Ray Spokes, they weigh 1200g. I'm 170lbs and quite a strong rider and they are as true as they were when new.
2021 Colnago Master
2020 Colnago C64
2017 Colnago C60
2017 Colnago V1-R
2014 Cipollini RB1K
2008 Colnago Extreme C
2005 Colnago C50
2001 Colnago C40
1996 Colnago Tecnos

andyindo

by andyindo

astranoc wrote:I am trying to build a light (budget light) set of wheels for my upcoming 5day trip in the Pyrenees and I am contemplating between carbon clinchers or alu. Actually I am between the Gigantex carbon clinchers 20mm rims, the Stans ZTR Alpha and the velocity A23. I already have some Token TK520TBT carbon hubs 20/24 that the rims will be built on. I currently am 165lbs.

Opinions? Or any other possible rims that I could go with?

You wont have problems with the Stans at your weight provided you dont smash them into every hole in the road. You should only use carbon rims if you're comfortable descending in the high mountains, even then, if it rains it wont be pleasant at all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

Unless you are racing, choose reliability over light weight. 200g extra is not going to make a noticeable difference on the climbs but it could make a difference between fighting with wheel problems vs sipping a post-ride beer with your friends.