Best FD for 2011 SRAM Red Groupset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Layback

by Layback

What's the consensus? I'm having the same problem as everyone else with the FD rubbing on the big ring and/or throwing the chain. I've invested a lot of time in getting it right and I've tried everything and I'm ready to admit the FD is garbage. I've heard some talk of DA 7800, SRAM Force or Campy FD working well with SRAM Red but I'm done monkeying around and just want the best, sound advice I can get. Please help me.

Thanks.
2011 Cervélo RS - SRAM Red

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

crohnsy

by crohnsy

Layback wrote:What's the consensus? I'm having the same problem as everyone else with the FD rubbing on the big ring and/or throwing the chain. I've invested a lot of time in getting it right and I've tried everything and I'm ready to admit the FD is garbage. I've heard some talk of DA 7800, SRAM Force or Campy FD working well with SRAM Red but I'm done monkeying around and just want the best, sound advice I can get. Please help me.

Thanks.

Can you find a better mechanic? My Red derailleur shifts very well. It does not rub my chain rings or throw my chain. It you want to blame the Ti cage for your troubles then buy a SRAM Force/Rival or Dura Ace. I suppose though the best front shifting would be electric.... :noidea: :smartass: :beerchug:

Dustin

by Dustin

Quick answer - D/A 7800 or Ult 6600 (I think...first gen 10sp).

I think front shifting with SRAM has a lot to do with a lot...from the bushing in the pivots that seem to wear quickly, to the flex of the derailleur tab. I don't recall ever having an issue with a clamp on FD. On my personal bikes, I've used all sorts of derailleurs, but will continue to stick with a 7800 D/A.

Strangely, the 2012 Red front shifting feels quite similar to that of a 2011 Red shifter + Shimano 10sp front derailleur.

Layback

by Layback

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.
Last edited by Layback on Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

socratease

by socratease

You are not alone.

I've had a lot of trouble adjusting those specifically on Cervelos at the shop I work at. Is your red FD a ti cage one? If so, you should try a steel cage one. The force derailers tend to work well, but I agree with Dustin and would try to get ahold of a dura-ace 7800, as the 7900 has a revised cable pull. Also, different rings than the stock red ones will improve performance.

One caveat: some of the Cervelos' braze-on mounts don't seem to allow the derailer to get low+canted out enough for compact setups, which is exacerbated by the already finicky nature of red's front shifting.

Layback

by Layback

socratease wrote:You are not alone.

I've had a lot of trouble adjusting those specifically on Cervelos at the shop I work at. Is your red FD a ti cage one? If so, you should try a steel cage one. The force derailers tend to work well, but I agree with Dustin and would try to get ahold of a dura-ace 7800, as the 7900 has a revised cable pull. Also, different rings than the stock red ones will improve performance.

One caveat: some of the Cervelos' braze-on mounts don't seem to allow the derailer to get low+canted out enough for compact setups, which is exacerbated by the already finicky nature of red's front shifting.

Yes - it's a Ti cage.

What are the "different rings than the stock Red one's" that you're referring to? I assume you mean the chainrings on the stock crank?

Regardless, it seems like DA 7800 is the best move.. Thanks all.

poppiholla

by poppiholla

You can also buy the Sram Red 2011 model with a steel cage. I use it and no problems.
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

motorthings

by motorthings

I'm looking forward to trying the 2012 sram red yaw cd on my 2011 sram red setup.

Layback

by Layback

On a whim I bought a SRAM Force FD today at a store that allows returns. Issue is gone. SRAM Red FD is now on eBay. So long problems!

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Red FD may not be the best but crank/chain rings are a big factor. I have use a Red FD with 7800 crank and rings and the performance was flawless. But switch to Red crank and rings and things go downhill. For a 16 tooth difference (50-34 compact) it's even worse.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Dustin

by Dustin

socratease wrote:some of the Cervelos' braze-on mounts

Cervelo's tabs are awful. Or maybe it's just the ones I see (not a Cervelo dealer).

Layback

by Layback

The shifting is money on my stand - totally dialed in. I can't make it jump and I can't make the chain rub (even with completely unreasonable shifting). But when I throw it on the trainer it all goes to shit. It won't shift to the big ring. So then I loosen the H Limit screw and increase tension until it shifts but then it's back to throwing the chain. WTF? Does anyone have any idea why this could be?

Maybe it's back to looking for a DA 7800?

Dustin

by Dustin

Full Red group (cranks, SRAM chain)? If so, a Shimano chain will make it a little better.

In reality, the ideal setup will be 7800 FD, Shimano chain, and other rings (Praxis).

edit -
the ramps and the chain aren't grabbing under load because 1) the chain doesn't flex much, 2) the ramps and pins aren't as awesome as Shimano. you could also try lowering the derailleur as much as possible. but the end result will be about a 6/10. 10/10 being the setup I mention.

VTBike

by VTBike

Well, I had my first trainer ride today with the 2012 yaw FD, and 2011 Red cranks, shifters, and rear derailleur. Front shifting was perfect - i'm incredibly pleased. Before this, I ran D/A 7800 in the front. Now, shifts to the big ring are much smoother - but the biggest thing is that I don't have to make any trim adjustments. With the 7800 der, in the big ring I had to make a trim adjustment when going from say the 5th cog in the middle down to the 3rd cog. I'm often shifting in this range, so I was always making that trim shift. Now there's no trimming necessary - which is huge for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

The 7800 is a little stiff for me to shift with full length housing.. but it works well enough.
I crested a hill today and was too tired and didn't push it enough on the first try due to the friction and longer throw.
But the shifting to small ring is very gentle which eliminates any possibility of dropping the chain.