Campagnolo Ergopower lever cracked

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

Hi all,

My right lever (Campi SR2011) (carbon) cracked and it has 2 visible cracks...
Seems still strong but I do not trust it any more.

Does anybody know if you can replace just the carbon main lever or do I need to buy a complete ergopower?

It is a SR 2011...
Last edited by rodebaron51 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pascal

2012 Colnago C59 MTBK Camapgnolo Hyperon Ultra 2 and Campi SR11
2014 Merida Big 99 CF team fully
2015 Pinarello F8 Sky Campagnolo Bora Utra 2 and Campi SR11 EPS (RIP after crash)
2016 Trek Mad-One Limited Team Edition

RussellS

by RussellS

Not sure about parts availability for the most recent Ergo shifters. But I replaced the body on a 10 speed Ergo shifter a couple years ago. I think it was around $50 for the body. It was Record level. Made out of plastic, phenolic, etc. The body is the part that the levers and all the guts go into. I think you would be successful searching for parts for the Super Record Ergo.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

solarider

by solarider

I did the same thing.

First the good news.

The lever is individually replaceable. There is a one-way pin holding it in place which you can remove, replace the lever and reinstall yourself with a punch. Very easy to do. The UK Campag Service Centre, Velotech, have them in stock.

And the bad news?

It costs £180 just for the lever! I sold my pair with perfect left hand side and broken right hand side lever only for £150 and bought a whole new pair for less than the £180 difference from Shinybikes for £244 including a new set of cables whichh are £25 on their own.

Unfortunately, Campagnolo is theoretically rebuildable, but practically and economically disposable.

tommasini

by tommasini

One alternative is to get the lone lever and part it out and sell the extra parts on ebay or here at WW - such that you could have significantly reduced the final out-of-pocket cost for the new part (and everything that came with it) down to a more reasonable amount. For instance, I'd bet there are a number of people with 2009 levers (softer shift action) who would pay a reasonable amount to get some 2011 internals (more pronounced click when shifting)....and others who could use a brake lever body after a crash.
Last edited by tommasini on Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

musket

by musket

Cracked, or the clearcoat looks cracked / damaged? If the latter, it's easily repaired.

theremery

by theremery

Just take the lever apart and have the carbon bit rebuilt. Should be cheap as chips. Carbon work isn't overly difficult if you don't mind an extra 2g in there (heresy....but if you are on a budget....why not?).
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

Ofcourse you can replace it, every campagnolo part can be bought as a spare part. I have replaced several levers after crashes. Shimano on the other hand cant be fixed/have available spare sparts and after crashes I have had to buy a complete new sti.

If it´s just the clear coat. Sand it down and then relaquer it with clear coat, good as new.
The unbearable wallet lightness of being a weightweenie

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

solarider wrote:I did the same thing.

First the good news.

The lever is individually replaceable. There is a one-way pin holding it in place which you can remove, replace the lever and reinstall yourself with a punch. Very easy to do. The UK Campag Service Centre, Velotech, have them in stock.

And the bad news?

It costs £180 just for the lever! I sold my pair with perfect left hand side and broken right hand side lever only for £150 and bought a whole new pair for less than the £180 difference from Shinybikes for £244 including a new set of cables whichh are £25 on their own.

Unfortunately, Campagnolo is theoretically rebuildable, but practically and economically disposable.

Somebody robbed to you to the bone then. I paid £35 for my last Record lever.
The unbearable wallet lightness of being a weightweenie

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

Hi,

It's not just delaminated, but really cracked... seems not repairable since at a point with high stress when braking...

Can you share where you got the 35 pound lever?
Was it a SR2011 lever?
Pascal

2015 Pinarello F8 Sky Campagnolo Bora Utra 2 and Campi SR11 EPS (RIP after crash)

kman

by kman

rodebaron51 wrote:Was it a SR2011 lever?

I doubt it but I do hope to be proven wrong. Pretty useless post though, doesn't really help anyone.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

Wow... Euro90,- for a simple carbon lever....

I guess E1,00 for the material, e5 for the making (made in China or Taiwan).... shipping e1,-

So a nice margin for Campi for 1285%...

I need to change business....

Bit frustrated, but what choice do I have???
Pascal

fio
in the industry

by fio

Being able to replace just part of the lever rather than the whole thing is one of the best things about Campy. The cost of the lever blade is negligible in comparison to the entire unit--especially if you're riding SR11 and a C59!

Any bike shop that carries Campagnolo should have access to the lever blade, so you might want to check with them for prices. If they're too high for you, you'll probably find it cheaper online somewhere. Good luck.
Last edited by fio on Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rodebaron51

by rodebaron51

Do not fully agree with you on that...

THat I am riding a C59 with SR does not mean I want to pay "non fact based" prices....
Yes yes yes... I am a purchaser ;-)

Anyway... a set (yes 2) of complete levers is app e290,-...
If I take 2 x e90 for the carbon levers, it leaves only e110,0 for the rest... THAT WOULD INDEED BE A BARGAIN.... but I guess Campi does not count like this...
Pascal

fio
in the industry

by fio

rodebaron51 wrote:Do not fully agree with you on that...

THat I am riding a C59 with SR does not mean I want to pay "non fact based" prices....
Yes yes yes... I am a purchaser ;-)

I was pullin' your leg a little...I understand :)

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

You have a c59 and sr11. If you can afford those you should be able to afford a lever. That's what happens when you buy expensive stuff. The maintenance of them is also expensive. If you had the plain old record 11 the lever would cost 163$ on ebay. Still expensive for a carbon lever but since it's expensive to begin with it will be expensive to maintain. I know it's the principle of it how could they charge such outrageous prices. The answer would be why do we buy them in the first place.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com