RealCyclist.com

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

elmo

by elmo

Hi,

I found this two sites
http://www.RealCyclist.com
http://www.departmentofgoods.com

If anyone knew they are real bike store or it's scam? Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

elmo wrote:Hi,

I found this two sites
http://www.RealCyclist.com
http://www.departmentofgoods.com

If anyone knew they are real bike store or it's scam? Thanks!

I have ordered many items from Real Cyclist....have had a good experience. :beerchug:

I think that they are all owned, or in business with bonktown.com......all three have very similar products, etc.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

real cyclist , competitive cyclist, bonktown, and colorado cyclist (i think) all ship from the same building.

and to answer the question. real cyclist is REAL. good people there. =)

carbon2329

by carbon2329

It is a great online shop. It is in my area (Salt Lake City, Utah) I have even picked items up, instead of having it shiped. They run pretty well.

It is a big company that owns a lot of webites.

They are the same company as:
Realcyclist.com
Bongtown.com
Departmentofgoods.com
backcountry.com
:!: competitivecyclist.com (yes, they bought CompetitiveCyclist a year or so, ago)

I believe they also own:
Dogfunk.com (snowboard gear)
HuckNroll.com (mountain biking)
SteepandCheap.com (outdoor gear and ski gear)
WhiskeyMilitia.com (surf and skate and snowboard gear)
Chainlove.com (mountain bike gear)

I believe there are some others.

Yes, you should be good to go. :thumbup:

(I am not familiar, if they are associated with coloradocyclist.com (my gut tell me they are not. But coloradocyclist.com is a great place too, I could be wrong :D )

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

yea i was unsure about colorado cyclist. probably isn't related. all greek to me =P

dmp

by dmp

I have ordered lots of stuff from backcountry et al and have been very happy with their prices and service. Highly recommended.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

RealCyclist has been awesome to order from. Great site, tech support and return policy. One of the few websites I have ordered from that when you call in about a problem/question etc... it actually seems like your talking to another human being that cares a bit about what their doing. :thumbup:

Also, they tend to run some pretty good sales on out of season stuff like Long Sleeve jerseys in the summer and bibs in the winter
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

veloryan

by veloryan

Service from all the Backcountry stores (Realcyclist, Hucknroll, Dept of Goods, etc) are EXCELLENT. They have gone out of their way to fix problems that aren't even their concern (i.e. the shipper messed up/lost package).

Don't hesitate to order from any of their brands.....they're all great.

rc32

by rc32

Another positive vote for all the backcountry sites. ( I particularly love Realcyclist and Bonktown. Although bonktown is no more as it has been bundled together with Chainlove.com)

Only bad thing that can happen is that you go broke buying all the good deals :-)

BTW, Colorado Cyclist is not owned by them as far as I know.Competitive Cyclist is.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

I can confirm as an adopted Little Rock person... Competitive Cyclist (HQ was a few km from my house and on my regular ride) has been sold to RealCyclist.

They have now left Little Rock and their old HQ is up for sale...

NOT Colorado Cyclist, which is not a part of the RealCyclist group.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

Chirobike

by Chirobike

Yeah, they are real @ "Real Cyclist". I gave them $3000USD and got my Litespeed C1 from them. I even used "Billmelater" and got a 8% discount b/c they advertised on the defunct "Bing.com" merchant shopping referral system. So I saved $200+ with them...of course 6 months later they liquidated that frameset @ 50% off so I think I still got screwed but that's just business.

As I understand it's a conglomerate mail order business that's involved in several different outdoor venues; hiking, cycling, yadda yadda and they grow by buying up the competition. Really, all we are talking about is a call center and a warehouse somewhere. For some reason I think they are in SLC, Utah, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, they sponsor a continental pro cycling team, too. They are legit and growing rapidly. Feel safe ordering from them and their customer service is okay, too.

:thumbup:

ticou

by ticou

Shame they fired/got rid of/made an offer he could't accept etc, that splendid chap who did their product reviews on youtube- he convinced me to go with Chorus. Where's he gone to Pete?

roadman

by roadman

ticou wrote:Shame they fired/got rid of/made an offer he could't accept etc, that splendid chap who did their product reviews on youtube- he convinced me to go with Chorus. Where's he gone to Pete?

www.speedgoat.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

ticou wrote:Shame they fired/got rid of/made an offer he could't accept etc, that splendid chap who did their product reviews on youtube- he convinced me to go with Chorus. Where's he gone to Pete?

Andy Clark I think is the guy you are thinking of.

http://www.speedgoat.com/News.aspx/Article/5458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He still does reviews on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SpeedgoatBicycles
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."