Vittoria Diamante Radiale Pro (220 tpi)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Has anyone used these tires. I ordered a pair in 24mm and it was 193g and 197g.
The compound feels grippy almost like black chilli.

I didn't like the rubber "hair" all around the sides of the tire, doesn't go well with aero bike, and I plan to trim them off one by one. (I don't corner hard enough to wear them out soon) :wink:

Anders

by Anders

I have the light version and they feel very fast and extremely comfortable. The casing is very flexible and in my case they require a minimum of 120 psi to not be too flexible while out of the saddle. The radiale version probably needs less pressure to maintain its profile. Lifetime might be limit if compared to a GP4000S, but the enhanced comfort outweighs this for sure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mjduct

by mjduct

vittorias are top notch in my opinion, I'm surprised how much lighter these are than their flagship 320 TPI lineup!!!

let me know how they holdup I might sub them for my Rubino or Pave setups on my different bikes totalling 160 grams of rotating weight lost!!!

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

A link to more information on these and/or review?
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

Wizzo

by Wizzo

I have a set of the Diamante Radiale. Can't ride them yet due to my broken arm however from a few buddies of mine, they say it is pretty much on par with the Grand Prix 24s.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

I mounted these tires yesterday. I was hoping they fit a little looser than the GP4000s but they were just very slightly easier or as difficult. I measured the GP4000s 23mm @ 100 psi with a SAE caliper it was 0.935" and the 24mm vittoria diamante radiale pro measured almost the same.

So I didn't lose any air volume by switching brands (good) but I can't imagine 22mm version would be a good idea for most.

Sadly I don't have time to ride it yet and also got a bruise and blister on my palm.

The hairs are all the way to the side of the tire and will stay for any one but it come off easily with a nail clipper.

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

PoorCyclist wrote:So I didn't lose any air volume by switching brands (good) but I can't imagine 22mm version would be a good idea for most.

I'll happily take the lower volume...

Is there an odd lip at the edge of the tread, that would seem to be very non aero? I have some Maxxis Radialles and noticed this... and don't like it too much.

Also interested in what you think of the ride. Theoretically you'd expect the radial tire to be smooth riding but a little squirmy in corners. Also the Maxxis ones have super tight beads... hard to mount.

Dustin

by Dustin

I was given a set of these to try in the 22mm variety.

It's hard to say.

Even on my 101s, these tires are damn narrow (coming off of GP4000S 23mm). Perhaps my calipers weren't zeroed out, but I measured them, mounted, at 21mm across at the widest point.

The ride was surprisingly comfortable. But cornering was odd. Didn't hit any hard 90* turns, but a couple switchbacks at about 28 - 30mph. I felt like I was drifting slightly....but at the same time, felt planted. Like the sidewalls were flexing, maybe? I was running my typical 110psi. I don't know. I wasn't inspired to rail any corners after that. I'll give them a couple more rides, as well as the local Tuesday Worlds race, but after that, I'll likely remove them.

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

I'd suggest trying higher pressure... might improve the feel without hurting the comfort too much.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

What is the purpose of the hairs, and most importantly, how much do they weigh?

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Just did a quick ride finding some rough roads to ride, they have a somewhat soft ride, I used the usual 100/110psi. The contact area look fairly large confirmed by the dirt pattern.

These tires really take the edge off the road imperfections.
I guess it may need a bit more pressure than usual tires and may explain why cornering feel is different, it may feel a bit off but probably just a larger contact patch from a softer ride. Sidewall says 145 psi max.

I am no expert on tires, but I am going to ride a long distance with them and I think it's going to work very well. If I want more stiffness I guess I will pump them up more.

I trimmed all the hairs off the sides because you can see them on the front tire while riding, it took a while! It looks much better.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

put 90 more miles on them with a little more pressure, crappy roads, they are comfortable.. but didn't pick up any debris
though seems to wear kind of fast.

Dustin

by Dustin

after a short ride yesterday, I took them off and will be giving them back to the rep. Front tire slipped on damp pavement that had been damp a while (i.e. it didn't start drizzling while I was riding...). The only tire I've actually had slip under me was a Mavic Yksion Power Link. That was a rear tire in a 'chicane' at about 25mph on a damp road after just starting to mist.

Not a fan, won't be pushing them.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Dustin wrote:after a short ride yesterday, I took them off and will be giving them back to the rep. Front tire slipped on damp pavement that had been damp a while (i.e. it didn't start drizzling while I was riding...). The only tire I've actually had slip under me was a Mavic Yksion Power Link. That was a rear tire in a 'chicane' at about 25mph on a damp road after just starting to mist.

Not a fan, won't be pushing them.

I have had vittoria rubino became very slick too in the wet. Mavic is made by vittoria. Sounds like maybe they didn't get their compound right for wet conditions at all.
Thanks for the heads up, I will be extra careful around damp areas.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tanhalt

by tanhalt

PoorCyclist wrote:Has anyone used these tires. I ordered a pair in 24mm and it was 193g and 197g.
The compound feels grippy almost like black chilli.

I didn't like the rubber "hair" all around the sides of the tire, doesn't go well with aero bike, and I plan to trim them off one by one. (I don't corner hard enough to wear them out soon) :wink:

I got one hoping it would have a decent Crr due to the radial (almost) casing layout...but, alas, when I roller tested it, the results weren't good :(

The rubber seems VERY soft and relatively thick on the sidewalls...both of which don't tend conspire to give good Crr.

It just goes to show that there are many ways to "spoil" a good tire concept, I guess :noidea: