Aussies: Best tubular tyre for our roads.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fletch62

by fletch62

For those in Australia using tubulars, what do you find to be the best tyre for everyday conditions?
Not looking for a best tub debate, but i think tyres are subjective to local conditions.
Which tyre do you find best in terms of puncture resistance, wear, comfort etc?
Been using Vittoria Corsa CR for a couple of years which are ok, but not great.
Wont be for racing, but everyday riding in Victoria, on mainly chip & seal roads, lots of quartz and glass, the usual stuff.
Suggestions?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

haydos

by haydos

For training only : Gatorskin tubs work well - ride a bit hard but in terms of puncture protection hard to beat.

For training and racing : Conti Competitions - I've had good luck with these not getting cut to bits (unlike Schwalbe) and Vittoria Pave's work well and ride softer.
Current Quiver:
Cervelo Aspero, Dura Ace 12
Time RXR, Record 10sp
Colnago C40 Mapei

In the past:
C59 x 2, EPS, Dogma2, Dogma, Caad 12, SuperSix HM, BMC RM01, Focus Izalco, Scott Foil, Cervelo R3SL, BMC SLC01, S-Works Tarmac, TCR

rd

by rd

Another vote for Pavés here. About the most expensive tubular I would consider as an everyday tyre.

t3z

by t3z

Veloflex Extreme and Carbon. Good rolling resistance and grip, light and some what durable once aged a bit.
Not the longest lasting tires though.

Spuds

by Spuds

I quite like the Paves I have on at the moment. I think they take some of the bite out of the course mix road that are so popular here. Seem to be wearing pretty well too.

Geoff

by Geoff

Glass? Is there no recycling-for-fee programme for bottles Down Under?

rd

by rd

Even if there was one in every state (I think it's just in SA?) a recycling-for-a-fee program wouldn't stop drunken idiots from smashing tallies in the gutter 'of a Saturday morning'. Our young adults - bless them - don't have the foresight to make such a program work. I can say that because I'm on of them.

And, when there's a 750mL bottle worth of brown glass shattered liberally over both lanes, looking where you're going won't save you.

michel2

by michel2

i used to swear by vittoiria cx, or pave but they don't last here (w.a.) at all little cuts, they fill in with sand and will result in a flat,
vredestein seem to last much longer, and i have i bought a pair for the missus and myself and were are both still running them, they've done twice the life span of vittoria so far and are still running.

a mate of my is sending me a set of challenge tubs...as much i would love them i think they might just disappoint )-;
cheers mick

rd

by rd

Cook Bicycles Australia (Clarence Street Cyclery) picked up Clement so if they come out with something decent in the near future getting them locally will be far easier than it has been. Their new cross tub is getting a good wrap.

campbellrae

by campbellrae

When I lived in Brisbane I rode on Vittoria CX's and they did a good job, also tried the pave but preferred the feel of the CX tyre for riding around the Sunshine Coast mainly.

gemm

by gemm

I can usually ride Conti Comps till the back one goes bald, punctures are pretty rare.
As they have a butyl tube they are easily repaired with tufo sealant, unlike Vittorias which have a latex tube which goes flat over time and therefore sometimes the sealant just goesn't stick.

I'm also in SA, and glass is everywhere....

padde

by padde

haydos wrote:Conti Competitions - I've had good luck with these not getting cut to bits (unlike Schwalbe) and Vittoria Pave's work well and ride softer.

Not to hijack, but are the Schwalbe tires you are referring to the Ultremo HT- or the Durano T-series? I've been looking for some first hand knowledge on the latter for mile eater purposes myself, getting tired of the Gatorskins (for no particular reason).

WasFab

by WasFab

Sprinter Gatorskin great in my opinion, looks great, puncture resistance and rolls very nice. I'm riding on it in London UK.

shadwell

by shadwell

Everything vittoria I have tried had been cut up very quickly..
I continue to run conti comp 22 and 25, and the gp4000 tub...
All seem ideally suited to crap Aussie roads with dip shits throwing glass
Everywhere, surfers paradise... Retards retreat more like... Anyhow.....

Geoff

by Geoff

Crazy. We have cowboys and rig crews here. Add some cash to recycling empties and it is amazing how good the roads look!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com