Condor Super Acciaio - Anyone taken one for a spin?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

iamalex

by iamalex

Had a quick look in store this evening - very nice. Going to try and take for a test ride next week.
Has anyone here already taken one out? Thoughts?

http://www.condorcycles.com/2011-Range/10650-Condor-Super-Acciaio-Frameset/flypage.tpl.html

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-vy_tdHStyY4/TonJSfCQZvI/AAAAAAAAAic/iOvlBcRZyBQ/s1600/Side_on_wood.jpg

CrossRob

by CrossRob

Yep. Lovely frame. Comfortable and stable, but also super-responsive.

I kept surprising myself when I looked down and remembered that it was steel.

Dean Downing (RCS) will be racing one in crits this season.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

iamalex

by iamalex

Well, I'm really looking forward to next weeks test ride then!
I saw some pics of Dean Downing's - DI2 and the RCS black paint job - slick.

fifarafa

by fifarafa

Has anyone ridden this frame? any experiences?

iamalex

by iamalex

Hello fifarafa, I didn't take one for a ride in the end. Read they're due to get lighter for 2014:
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/condor-super-acciaio-to-get-lighter-for-2014-36688/

fifarafa

by fifarafa

Hello iamalex,
It seems that they will change tubes - from dedacciai to columbus, but which?

moreover:

"The geometry has been refined for the season’s upcoming criteriums and circuit races and the rear hanger modified after some issues changing wheels last year. We’re also told it’s 200-300g lighter. A painted 55cm model currently weighs a claimed 1,600g compared to a 1,100g Leggero."
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... ery-36698/

so I don't know if these changes are only cosmetic.

iamalex

by iamalex

Hmm, not sure. Take a day off work and go try out one of the current ones anyway.
Have you seen the new Madison Genesis bikes? Similar:
http://roadcyclinguk.com/news/gear-news/pro-bike-dean-downings-genesis-volare-953.html

fifarafa

by fifarafa

Of course I saw it. :)
Unfortunately, I don't know when it will be available.

I think it will be a lot more expensive than SA, because 953. Price will be similar to Acciaio XCR.

andyindo

by andyindo

I've seen a few people riding them around Surrey, havent been able to ask anyone what its like though....Looks nice. Steel is nice, I sold my Supersix to get a Speedvagen. Very happy.

fifarafa

by fifarafa

I spoke with Condor :) and they told me about some issues:

"The bike that the team uses is different to the production Super Acciaio, so we have never had a problem with the dropout on this model. The changes are not present and nothing is yet decided for a 2014 model. The current model is still the production model for the foreseeable future."

joshvoulters

by joshvoulters

Condor let me test one for a couple of weeks, during which I raced it in a crit, did a couple of longer rides, etc.

I'm a big fan- it's definitely more compliant than the carbon frame I'm used to, soaks up bumps noticeably better. The front tracks really nicely- feels very solid for descents and sprints. I thought it was going to be a boat anchor, but I genuinely couldn't feel a difference in weight whilst riding. Even picking it up, it feels pretty light- so nothing to worry about there. I hear the Genesis Volare is noticeably heavier- to the extent that they're redesigning the frame to a more compact design to shave off a couple hundred grams.

Happy to answer any more detailed questions if you have them.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Cool, thanks for chiming in, it sounds like a winner! What's your height/weight and what size were you riding?

joshvoulters

by joshvoulters

No problem at all.

I'm 178cm and 64kg

I rode a 55 with a 110mm -6 degree stem, and that was spot on for me.

fifarafa

by fifarafa

Josh, could you write more about differences in climbing between Condor and your carbon frame?
What stem, handlebar and wheelset have you used during testing SA? Could you write more about Deda supremacy fork - stiffness/comfort?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joshvoulters

by joshvoulters

Sure.

My regular frame is a Cervelo R3 with SRAM Force- wheels are H Plus Son Archetypes on Novatec hubs. 3T Dorico Ltd seatpost and Arx Pro stem.

I tested the Condor with my own wheels, saddle, seat post and stem and as luck had it, it also had SRAM Force- so basically the only variable was the frame.

The Condor climbs well in comparison to any other non-carbon bike I've ridden (including a Cannondale CAAD)- very stiff through the head tube and pretty light. You do notice a bit of bottom bracket movement when climbing hard. Bear in mind that the Cervelo I'm used to has an incredibly stiff BB area (in my experience), so it's all relative. My favourite part of climbing on the Super Acciaio is that road imperfections that would usually interrupt your cadence or force you out of the saddle weren't a factor- you can pedal through them and trust the frame to soak them up. Obviously I'm not talking huge potholes!

If you know Hog Hill- I raced there on the bike, and it's a pretty good test of its characteristics. Fast corners, uphill sprint, a bit of descending through corners. It behaved well- very much a race bike, but one that won't beat you up if you spend all day on it.

Difficult to isolate the fork from the rest of the bike, but it's light (about 300g I think?) and felt very solid.

Hope that helps!