Looking to buy a SuperSix and get it under 16lbs on a budget

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Podunk

by Podunk

The other option of course is just to buy the EVO Red.
It's roughly 2k more but I think it comes in at less than 15 pounds.

If you're going to spend 1500 to drop it down to the 15's then you may just want to consider that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

socratease

by socratease

Donovan said his was at 17 w/ aksiums, rival and some cockpit upgrades.

The Ksyriums and a seatpost would drop another 300 grams, so, you'd be pretty close. A red crank and a lighter stem would net another 80.

Really, though, if youre fine with getting close, it should be quite do-able with rival. Otherwise, the 300g difference between the red group and rival really starts paying for itself, especially if you're willing to take the time necessary to sell the original group that came with the bike.

socratease

by socratease

Donovan said his was at 17 w/ aksiums, rival and some cockpit upgrades.

The Ksyriums and a seatpost would drop another 300 grams, so, you'd be pretty close. A red crank and a lighter stem would net another 80.

Really, though, if you're fine with getting close, it should be quite do-able with rival. Otherwise, the 300g difference between the red group and rival really starts paying for itself, especially if you're willing to take the time necessary to sell the original group that came with the bike.

MixMastaPJ

by MixMastaPJ

Podunk wrote:
MixMastaPJ wrote:hmmmm never thought about selling the wheels. I was considering just keeping the aksiums and putting them on the aluminum bike for training/rain days.

Is SRAM Red really that necessary though? I mean, you got your bike down to 16 without even touching the rival drivetrain right?

Theoretically I could follow your blueprint, and just have to make up the difference between the 54cm and 56cm frame, and the difference in our wheels and I should be able to get there. Most weights don't include pedals or cages anyhow, so I could take off another ~300g just from that ;)

So I'm thinking, when the bike is purchased, I need to get:
1. skewers
2. saddle
3. light tires on the ksyriums
4. cut/replace seatpost depending on how much more I need.

Is there any free weight dangling on a xtra tall steering tube I could cut?

You could however you want to think about the cost. $900 to do so. If you buy the Rival for 2500 you're at about 3400.

The other scenario:
If you buy a 105 bike for 2k (instead of the rival for 2500) you'll save $500.
Sell the 105 groupset for 600
Sell the wheels for 150
Now you've only spent 1250 on the bike. (Or hell if you just buy the frame for cheaper...but let's not talk about that)

Spend 1800 on SRAM Red and you're at $3000
Toss your wheels on.
Now you still have $400 in your pocket for things like skewers, saddle, seatpost, etc.

You could follow my blueprint but you'd run out of areas to drop weight.
My wheels are 1350grams so 200 grams lighter than yours. You have to make that up somewhere and that's going to cost you money.
After the saddle, seatpost, seatpost clamp, skewers, handlebars...the only place you can save weight are the components.

I'm not saying it can't be done...but for the amount that you spend you may be better off just buying a better and lighter groupset.

By the way if you do figure out a cheap way of lightening the bike even more I'd like to know. I want mine down to 15.5 without breaking the bank more than I already have.

I'm pretty happy with 16lbs, so I don't know if $900 on top of the bike is really necessary if I'm smart with the saddle, seatpost, skewers. I should probably take a trip to my LBS to see what a stock 56cm rival weighs out of the box, that way I can pinpoint exactly what I need to do after I move the Ksyriums.

MixMastaPJ

by MixMastaPJ

socratease wrote:Donovan said his was at 17 w/ aksiums, rival and some cockpit upgrades.

Really, though, if you're fine with getting close, it should be quite do-able with rival. Otherwise, the 300g difference between the red group and rival really starts paying for itself, especially if you're willing to take the time necessary to sell the original group that came with the bike.

Yeah, I guess when I really start getting the disease I could splurge for Red. Or just buy a used CAAD10 down the road with Red or something on it and switch the groups. yeah, the 16lb isn't some end all super necessary number, if I could get to 16lbs without pedals or cages, I'd be satisfied. Hopefully next year's colors are different enough to provide a better selection in frames as well ;)

Podunk

by Podunk

MixMastaPJ wrote:
socratease wrote:Donovan said his was at 17 w/ aksiums, rival and some cockpit upgrades.

Yeah, I guess when I really start getting the disease I could splurge for Red. Or just buy a used CAAD10 down the road with Red or something on it and switch the groups. yeah, the 16lb isn't some end all super necessary number, if I could get to 16lbs without pedals or cages, I'd be satisfied. Hopefully next year's colors are different enough to provide a better selection in frames as well ;)

You gotta do it with pedals and cages.
That's how I measured mine. That's like saying "my girlfriend is skinny...just don't look at her ankles"

MixMastaPJ

by MixMastaPJ

Podunk wrote:That's how I measured mine. That's like saying "my girlfriend is skinny...just don't look at her ankles"

Haha alright. I'll keep the pedals then ;)

Podunk

by Podunk

MixMastaPJ wrote:
Podunk wrote:That's how I measured mine. That's like saying "my girlfriend is skinny...just don't look at her ankles"

Haha alright. I'll keep the pedals then ;)

And the bottle cages. You can't leave out 1 fat ankle.

MixMastaPJ

by MixMastaPJ

Ok, I've edited the spreadsheet, and I've left myself about a half a pound to spare (hopefully covering the fudge factor provided by the manufacturers)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... 0hXZTIzNnc

I'm still missing a few things (headset stuff, are my totals accurate? Am I leaving out anything?)

This looks like I could make a Supersix Rival with Ksyrium Elites get to 16lbs for only an extra ~$400.

Thanks again everyone for your input. Let me know if I'm overlooking anything.

Podunk

by Podunk

MixMastaPJ wrote:Ok, I've edited the spreadsheet, and I've left myself about a half a pound to spare (hopefully covering the fudge factor provided by the manufacturers)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... 0hXZTIzNnc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm still missing a few things (headset stuff, are my totals accurate? Am I leaving out anything?)

This looks like I could make a Supersix Rival with Ksyrium Elites get to 16lbs for only an extra ~$400.

Thanks again everyone for your input. Let me know if I'm overlooking anything.

I don't think your bike will start at 16.9 pounds. I think you're probably almost a full pound off if not more.
Seandonovan said his 52cm bike eventually made it down to around 17lbs...and his is a 52cm. Your spreadsheet has you starting off lighter than he ended up.

seandonovan

by seandonovan

I started off at 8194 grams - 2011 Supersix Rival in White (oh so heavy white), with EA50 stem, 2x Bontrager plastic cages, Garmin 500 and sensor, and 105 pedals. The cages, Garmin, sensors, and Pedals are 488 grams. Should be pretty good for a reference starting point.

MixMastaPJ

by MixMastaPJ

Oops, didn't include any tape or endcaps, any ballpark figures for those? I'm trying to figure out where the omissions and errors are because I totally understand his weight minus pedals should be close to mine

MixMastaPJ

by MixMastaPJ

I also have no recorded weights for any headset stuff.

seandonovan

by seandonovan

The headset is 48-49 grams. Be sure to loosen it up with a 6mm *slightly*, then loosen with a 5mm until it'll come out. Trust me on this: you don't want the lower half of the plug slipping all the way down the steerer tube. It's a PITA to get out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MixMastaPJ

by MixMastaPJ

Think I'm gonna hit up some shops this week to see if they have any 56s in rival or 105 and get a total weight to work with that will be exact. That way my baseline will be as accurate as possible.