New Sram Red Crank with BBRight?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mjdwyer23

by mjdwyer23

Hey Folks-
I'm looking to kit my Cervelo S5 with new Red when I can get it. Will I be stuck with the stock BBRight crank, or is the new Red crank compatible? Thanks!
MD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ajh

by ajh

The new RED cranks are only available as GXP and BB30. You can get the GXP version and then an adapter to convert your BBRight to GXP.

If you wait there will be a New Red chainring S975 BBRight crank available but it may be very hard to source as it is usually an OEM only crank.

TOflat

by TOflat

If you end up going through Rotor, you would be able to order up a BBright BB compatible with either GXP or BB30. You're safe either way.

grover

by grover

BBRight is BB30 with 11mm extra width on the non-drive side (79mm BB shell width offset 11mm to non-drive side). The standard BB30 Red crank does not fit as it is specific to the 68mm BB30 shell standard. You have two options for a Red crank on BBRight.

Use the GXP version with an adaptor - available from Wheels Manufacturing or Enduro Bearings.

Use the BB30 Red branded Quarq powermeter. This is the same as the current S975 crank but with new Red graphics. Note that it doesn't use the hollow carbon manufacturing process that the new Red crank uses, it relies on an aluminium spine like old Red. So it's heavier, but it looks the part and has powermeter capabilities.

I don't know which option works out lighter - GXP version has heavier arms and needs an adaptor - S975 BB30 version has old style heavier arms.

freemyheel
Shop Owner

by freemyheel

I've installed sram bb30 cranks in a bbright frame. I had to remove the bearing preload adjustment ring from the non drive side crank, and then use some bb30 spacers and a wavy washer. It took a couple of tries to get the right number of spacers, but it worked just fine in the end. Fwiw, this was on a quarq s975 bb30 crank, installing into a 2011 r3.
K.P.A.

ajh

by ajh

All the bb30 s975 cranks can do this as this is what they do to create the BBRight cranks.

grover

by grover

just be aware that red bb30 cranks don't use the same preload system as s975 bb30 cranks. red bb30 will not fit bbright.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com