New wheels for my Epic 29

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Drea

by Drea

Hi forum :)

I'm considering some new wheels for my '12 Epic Expert Carbon 29.

I want light and stiff and I weigh 176 ready to ride.. What should I get?

Price doesn't matter much, I just need them to be easily available in Europe.

Thanks in advance

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

best wheel you can get for any money are specialized's own roval control sl, or for a little more weight and a little more width, the control sl trail.

andrewryangibson

by andrewryangibson

I am also 175 rolling and destroyed an Easton ec90 xc rear rim, despite using on my Tallboy fs in xc trails and 30lbs of pressure. I am really liking the carbon rovals. Super stiff, light and nice hubs.

Drea

by Drea

Rovals are getting a lot of votes. I have a thread on another forum as well.

Easton EC90 come with a no-questions-asked-warranty don't they?

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Custom built wheels.

Chris King Hubs or be creative.

Chris King rear hub for high degree engagement and reliability
New Extralite HyperCamber Front hub for light weight savings

Sapim SuperSpokes or CX-ray

Sapim Polyax nipples

Stan's Crest 29er rims

will be cheaper than top end factory wheels from Specialized/Shimano/Mavic and be more reliable and unique. Say no to the big factories. Be different.

socratease

by socratease

Can't really go wrong with Stan's rims, and I second the king hubs, however, if you're wanting something really stiff, a crest probably isn't up your alley.

I did have a set of roval controls on my bike that seemed like a nice balence between strength and weight, but I didn't really put any trail miles on them.

If you're fine with a bit of a lead time (and I have no idea about availability in europe), industry 9 makes, in my opinion, the stiffest wheels for the weight/money.

People at the shop that are on the Control SLs are all quite happy with them. I'm not a huge fan of the DTs engagement, but for many thats not much of an issue. I would be riding carbon rims if I could afford them.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

some folks have been getting chinese 29er rims that, upon closer inspection, are EXACTLY like specialized's roval control sl trail. 400g each, very wide, very stiff, very tubeless. $150 each. not sure exactly where they got them. i think they offer the non-"trail" ones too that would be lighter. im confident they are the same as the rovals, and not some poor knockoffs. i built a pair recently, came out true and even, we'll see how tough they are...
match those up to some nice hubs (xtr is my choice, but there are lighter options out there of course), youll be set.

Drea

by Drea

Thanks for all of your responses.

The case is, that I already have a light aluminium wheelset. Tune King Kongs with Crests. They are light, fairly cheap and still runs true, but they're not very stiff and direct when compared to what my mates are running.
I tried a set of Enve/DT180 the other day and they were soooo responsive. And since the weight is about the same then it must be the carbon rims. So I'm getting a pair of those :twisted:

I just cant decide what to get :noidea:

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

I would normally suggest crests, but since money is not a factor (wish I could say that :P ) and you want a stiff wheel, you have to go carbon. Roval would get my vote.

Drea

by Drea

2002maniac wrote:I would normally suggest crests, but since money is not a factor (wish I could say that :P ) and you want a stiff wheel, you have to go carbon. Roval would get my vote.

And I have a set of crests ;) Money is not a factor because I prioritise having fun on my bikes. I'm 20 years old, no kids, no mortgage and I work as a store manager. I'm not complaining. :thumbup:

Hubert

by Hubert

If money is not object, ENVE all the way. After riding Crest 29 wheels for a year, I truly believe that lightweight aluminum rims are too compromised in stiffness and rigidity to really allow a 29er to ride like a 29er should. Carbon wheels take away the vague front end feel and the disjointed front to back feeling that most of these bikes possess with lighter aluminum wheel sets. Going with a more stout aluminum wheelset creates the other issue, which is lethargic acceleration in exchange for more rigidity and less flex.

Turn down the suck knob.

Drea

by Drea

Enve it is.

digit3

by digit3

Cheers! wrote:
will be cheaper than top end factory wheels from Specialized/Shimano/Mavic and be more reliable and unique. Say no to the big factories. Be different.

Dude, he's riding a Specialized! At this point, saying no to the big factories would seem pretty useless.

Drea

by Drea

Haha. I have a custom build Ti hardtail too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

digit3

by digit3

Drea wrote:Haha. I have a custom build Ti hardtail too.

Good on ya, me too!