Squeak from new Alum Chainrings on a Carbon Spider

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

donham1

by donham1

Hello All. I wanted to run something by the pros on this forum. After taking my Tarmac in for a tune-up, I purchased and had installed:

1) New Ultegra 11-28 Cassette( I live in the hills of TN)
2) New KMC Chain
3) New FSA Gossamer 53/39 130 BCD Chainrings(on a Carbon Spider)

Since the install I have had a creak/tinkling metal sound coming from the Crankset area, always while in the small ring, and sometimes in the big ring. After a return trip to my LBS, I left with new BB bearings. They said that would fix the noise...

Problem is, the noise is still here and seems to get a bit more persistent and noticeable(but not louder) after each ride. The guys at the LBS couldn't replicate the problem at first in the stand or on it, which didn't surprise me since they are all jockey sized and I am 6'4" 195#.

I took it to a different LBS, for a second opinion hahaha. After speaking with the shop guru, and me replicating it for him, it looks as though the the FSA chainirings may not be a perfect fit for the S-Works carbon spider. there looks to be a very small gap between the end of the spider and the beginning of the chainring.

Finally, to my question:

Has anyone hear ever experienced a smimliar problem with any brand chainrings not fitting a carbon spider and making awful noises?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lechat

by lechat

[quote="donham1"]Hello All. I wanted to run something by the pros on this forum. After taking my Tarmac in for a tune-up, I purchased and had installed:

1) New Ultegra 11-28 Cassette( I live in the hills of TN)
2) New KMC Chain
3) New FSA Gossamer 53/39 130 BCD Chainrings(on a Carbon Spider)

Since the install I have had a creak/tinkling metal sound coming from the Crankset area, always while in the small ring, and sometimes in the big ring. After a return trip to my LBS, I left with new BB bearings. They said that would fix the noise...

Problem is, the noise is still here and seems to get a bit more persistent and noticeable(but not louder) after each ride. The guys at the LBS couldn't replicate the problem at first in the stand or on it, which didn't surprise me since they are all jockey sized and I am 6'4" 195#.

Are you using The proprietary bolts that the carbon spider requires? I had a similar problem with a S Works alloy spider and Sram chainrings. The Specialized bolts were too long and would bottom out before the rings were cinched up. Ordered some $14 Omni racer bolt from eBay, problem fixed

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

bolts pretty much have to be the "proprietary" ones, as standard ones are too wide to fit.
i doubt the chainrings or bolts are the issue. i have had fsa chainring bolts bottom out early on other brands of chainrings, but i cant remember a time other bolts bottomed out early on fsa rings. to be sure, remove bolts, loctite or grease threads, grease outside of bolts, reinstall, test.
spider to arm can definitely creak. sometimes the lockring cracks as well.
this is all besides the possibility that the noise is coming from one of a million other places...

donham1

by donham1

Are you using The proprietary bolts that the carbon spider requires? I had a similar problem with a S Works alloy spider and Sram chainrings. The Specialized bolts were too long and would bottom out before the rings were cinched up. Ordered some $14 Omni racer bolt from eBay, problem fixed[/quote]

Yes, I am using the proprietary bolts. I'm just thinking the FSA chainrings may be either sub-par, or just not a good fit with the Spec Carbon spider...

donham1

by donham1

thisisatest wrote:bolts pretty much have to be the "proprietary" ones, as standard ones are too wide to fit.
i doubt the chainrings or bolts are the issue. i have had fsa chainring bolts bottom out early on other brands of chainrings, but i cant remember a time other bolts bottomed out early on fsa rings. to be sure, remove bolts, loctite or grease threads, grease outside of bolts, reinstall, test.
spider to arm can definitely creak. sometimes the lockring cracks as well.
this is all besides the possibility that the noise is coming from one of a million other places...

After getting caught in the rain a few days ago, I noticed the creak was gone for a littlw while, and wondered if this was due to the water temporarily acting as a lube. When I got back to the house and dried everything, I removed the bolts and rings and lubed up with the only thing I had- some Finish Line chain lube(I know, prob not the best idea...)

So, you think I should try with some Loctite? How about carbon paste at all of the contact points between the carbon and alum?

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

assembly paste can contribute to noise if movement is still allowed. i would go with making things very clean.
lube would be better than nothing, but grease would be better. if the noise goes away for weeks, or until the next rain, use grease next.

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

My first check would be the chainring bolts. Some chainring bolts are so close in length at bottoming out to what they should be when they lock the chainrings that you can't really tell in fitment. If you can, get hold of a spare set of bolts, standard Shimano if you can and try those. You could also get a vernier calliper and check the width at bottoming out for the bolts compared to what the full width of the chainrings/spider should be, taking into account the chainring bolt head rebates.

The chainring fitment shouldn't be an issue as long as the chainrings are sitting flat on the spider. If they're a tight fit to the spider arms then that might be an issue but if they are a loose fit it should be fine.

I did also have a creak on my Storck bb area for a little while. That turned out to be basically dry contact on the bb threads. I was advised to use a small amount of thread tape and that seemed to cure it after a little time bedding in.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com