Caad 9 headset top cover alternative

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Cento

by Cento

Anyone here knew about a caad9 Canecreek headset top cover options,I want to replace my 25mm top cap to at least lower height around 10mm,below is the photo how the inside look like,I found a FSA but it wont work,,thanks for your help..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

It's 1-1/8" top bearing? Maybe an option in the below link will help for a top cover than you can use some regular carbon spacer.

http://www.cannondaleexperts.com/Headsets_c_64.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check out this page. There are several headset top bearing covers that should fit over the bearing, then you can put a regular carbon spacer, or just slam the stem right on top of it.

There might be cleaner alternative like you are looking for, Cane etc..but don't know the exact one for that frame.

I would be careful with Cannondale headset anything also, they are whacky with their sizing, particularly on the tapered 1.5-1 1/8" setups, bearings are larger than normal top/bottom on the outer diameters, inner ring diameter and race crown/fork shoulder smaller etc...They do not follow standard SHIS bearing sizes. I know my supersix upper sits slightly higher by 1mm than a normal bearing 1-1/8". It's a 7mm instead of a normal 6mm thickness I believe. So if you put a top cap that doesn't match up and have enough space underneath with the bearing height, there will be a larger than normal gap between the bottom of the bearing cover and the frame.

I know you are asking for spacers specifically, any old spacer should work then for that matter...Ritchey/FSA, etc...but you will likely have to buy the entire headset just to get a thinner spacer.

But again, look closely at the top/bottom and how it matches up with the bearing cover etc...Cannondale is tricky like this.

Food for thought. Just went through this with a new frame, headset bearings and my Supersix frame bearings I was hoping to swap over....nada.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Just do this:

1. Remove stem and all spacers, top cap, etc.
2. Re-install stem directly on the headset bearing
3. Ride

Congrats, you just slammed that stem.

:beerchug:

Cleaner

by Cleaner

Cane Creek makes a low stack and tall stack cover. Contact them if you can't find the part on their site, you should be able to buy a lower stack cap from them directly. You can find the part # on their website, they have a nice headset finder app.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Zigmeister wrote:I would be careful with Cannondale headset anything also, they are whacky with their sizing, particularly on the tapered 1.5-1 1/8" setups, bearings are larger than normal top/bottom on the outer diameters, inner ring diameter and race crown/fork shoulder smaller etc...They do not follow standard SHIS bearing sizes. I know my supersix upper sits slightly higher by 1mm than a normal bearing 1-1/8". It's a 7mm instead of a normal 6mm thickness I believe. So if you put a top cap that doesn't match up and have enough space underneath with the bearing height, there will be a larger than normal gap between the bottom of the bearing cover and the frame.

their wackiness is also known as "campy fit" as opposed to "i.s.". it's 41.8mm on the outside, the inner race compression ring sits lower, crown is taller, etc.
the annoying thing is that some of the bikes now use a hybrid bearing, one that is 41.8mm on the outside, but all the inner dimensions are i.s. like cane creek... so like others said, keep an eye out.

hmai18

by hmai18

thisisatest wrote:their wackiness is also known as "campy fit" as opposed to "i.s."

Go ask your shop. It's possible they have a bunch of lower stack covers sitting around in a drawer on their bench.

STARNUT

by STARNUT

Cane Creek sells their headset uppers and lowers individually. The upper you're after is SHIS:IS41 - 1-1/8" Cane Creek Integrated Threadless. Or just the IS41 upper. Believe it's a 5mm stack. You should able to replace the bearing, compression ring, and cone for <$30.

Starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM

bikerboy337

by bikerboy337

I picked up a new Ritchey WCS headset (campy) on ebay for about $30 shipped... worked perfect... has a 5mm top I believe, so just use spacers to raise it a bit if you need...

2ndgen

by 2ndgen

Cento wrote:Anyone here knew about a caad9 Canecreek headset top cover options,I want to replace my 25mm top cap to at least lower height around 10mm,below is the photo how the inside look like,I found a FSA but it wont work,,thanks for your help..

Here's what you're looking for: My CAAD9 work...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=97939

Parts: http://store.canecreek.com/products/pro ... 98.0?pp=8&

JN2Wheels

by JN2Wheels

I'm sure you'll find all the answers you need on the site. This topic has been very active here.

In addition to 2ndgen, there is also about 5 pages of info and pics here : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=69146

Have fun.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com