Online Frame Purchase

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ToddU

by ToddU

Anyone have experience buying frames from overseas web-sites? Found a site or two where the BMC frames are much cheaper than, say for example, Competitive Cyclist.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bricky21

by bricky21

It won't seem like such a great deal if you have to deal with warranty issues. I bought a Parlee Z4 over the internet from an authorized dealer, and had to have it warrantied. Parlee dealt with me directly, but I can't help but wonder if it would have been so easy had I purchased it off the grey market :noidea: Probably best to check with BMC about there warranty policies, and if the person your buying it from is an authorized dealer.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

IMHO branded frames being offered MUCH cheaper means there is always a catch - mind you, having just picked up a pair of (real) Bont shoes off the web for 75 Euros I may be wrong!

carbon2329

by carbon2329

CompetitiveCyclist has a reputation (at least in my area) to "make deals".

If CC is a place you trust (which I would) a call could save you some $$.

They buy a lot of frames (A LOT :shock: ) so they can give a little on price.

ToddU

by ToddU

Thanks Carbon2329. That's a good idea. I'm seeing pretty skinny prices on the TeamMachine SLR01 and it makes me wonder if they are knock-offs. Looking to swap a 2010 Felt F2 for the BMC

dgasmd

by dgasmd

I've bought to very expensive frames in the last 4 years. One in a LBS and the other "online" from a UK based dealer. Yet to have an issue with either. I would venture to guess the bulk of people that buy a "good brand" frame set has no issues with it either. Is it a risk if something does happen that you could be left hanging? Sure! The frame I bought at the LBS had a limited time warranty that just expired, so I guess both are the same now LOL.........

mjduct

by mjduct

bricky21 wrote:It won't seem like such a great deal if you have to deal with warranty issues. I bought a Parlee Z4 over the internet from an authorized dealer, and had to have it warrantied. Parlee dealt with me directly, but I can't help but wonder if it would have been so easy had I purchased it off the grey market :noidea: Probably best to check with BMC about there warranty policies, and if the person your buying it from is an authorized dealer.

I recently bought a Cervelo R5 frameset for 2700 USD it retails for 4900 USD for 2K+ I can get the frame repaired/ repainted 4 or 5 times before I'll break even with the MAP pricing...

ToddU

by ToddU

anyone got thoughts about BMC slr01 vs a Focus izalco. also, on sizing for the BMC. riding a 52 felt. go up to 53 in BMC or down to a 50?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com